Finally

I've been waiting for this archive edition since they started the Archive Edition program 20 years ago. And I've been wanting to read these stories ever since I picked up a copy of Secret Society of Supervillians off a spinner rack in McDaniels Drugstore 100 years ago in the mid 70s Captain Comet Archives Written by JOHN BROOME, GERRY CONWAY and others Art by CARMINE INFANTINO, MURPHY ANDERSON and others Cover by CARMINE INFANTINO ADVANCE SOLICIT • On sale AUGUST 21 • 400 pg, FC, $75.00 US • Captain Comet faces alien invasions and weird monsters from distant worlds in these stories from DC's classic science fiction series STRANGE ADVENTURES, as well as his 1970s adventures! • Collects STRANGE ADVENTURES #9-44, 46 and 49, and SECRET SOCIETY OF SUPER-VILLAINS #2-6. Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/01/15/dc-comics-vertigo-collected-editions-solicitations-april-2013/#ixzz2IItIHMVM

image.jpg

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would like to say that I'm getting this because I do want to read the original Captain Comet stories but $75 is rather steep and I already have SSSV #2-6 reprinted in that collection.

If they excluded those 70s issues, could they have released it for $50?

• I haven't seen this solicitation yet. (That probably means a new Previews catalog comes out next week.) Meet back here late August/early September to discuss?

• $75.00 isn't entirely out of line with the page count. Not sure how many pages getting rid of SSSV #2-6 would cut, but Wonder Woman's 7th volume has 240 pages and was a $60.00 book (Green Lantern's 7th volume was also $60 but had 256 pages)

Philip Portelli said:

I would like to say that I'm getting this because I do want to read the original Captain Comet stories but $75 is rather steep and I already have SSSV #2-6 reprinted in that collection.

• I agree that this should be a fun book, and I've been hoping to see it for a long time, both for the material and for the notion that they may dive into that period of comics, especially if this one is successful.

I also agree the price makes me think twice, but it'll be discounted--Amazon already has it at $47 (http://www.amazon.com/The-Captain-Comet-Archives-Vol/dp/1401241085/...), which is way better. 

Even so, the DC Rarities Archives that came out in 2004 was 348 pages for $75, so this is kind of a bargain. Granted, those SSSV issues probably weren't hard to prep for publication like the "rarities" in the earlier volume. But it's still not out of line with past volumes, given the size and that many of the stories have never been reprinted.

-- MSA

• Granted, those SSSV issues probably weren't hard to prep for publication like the "rarities" in the earlier volume. But it's still not out of line with past volumes, given the size and that many of the stories have never been reprinted.

True since they reprinted them in an SSSV book over a year ago.

• I mean, I would have been happy with a Black and White Showcase, having it in color just makes it irresistible at any price. 

Jeff, you're on, Skull-Brother! 

• True since they reprinted them in an SSSV book over a year ago.

I almost went for that, as I never read SSSV and was curious about it. But it didn't seem like a good value, especially given that we'd been told an SP volume was coming and it was cancelled. Now I'm glad I didn't, because buying additional copies of those stories would cut into the value for sure.

-- MSA

• I did buy it, and while I didn't think it was terrible. I didn't think it was that great either, pretty average...

Mr. Silver Age said:

True since they reprinted them in an SSSV book over a year ago.

I almost went for that, as I never read SSSV and was curious about it. But it didn't seem like a good value, especially given that we'd been told an SP volume was coming and it was cancelled. Now I'm glad I didn't, because buying additional copies of those stories would cut into the value for sure.

-- MSA

• When I saw this solicitation, I squealed like a little girl  :)  I have very fond childhood memories of the SSSV issues and have always wanted to read the original stories. 

I'm not getting my hopes up about the quality of the material, though.  I do own a very beat-up copy of Strange Adventures #10, and the stories contained, including Captain Comet, are no great shakes. 

The really interesting thing about it is its value as a time-capsule of comics circa 1951.  The issue contains a house ad that lists all the current DC titles--I can't lay my hands on the issue at the moment, but IIRC there are about 30 titles listed, and the only super-hero ones were Superman, Action, Batman, Detective and Wonder Woman.  Everything else was humor, funny animal, western or science fiction.

• Almost certainly not, as the SSSV stories require practically no restoration or preparation, unlike virtually all of the 1950s stories. Maybe $65-70.

Philip Portelli said:

I would like to say that I'm getting this because I do want to read the original Captain Comet stories but $75 is rather steep and I already have SSSV #2-6 reprinted in that collection.

This reply was deleted.