So, I wasn't going to buy this.  But I like big summer stories and I'm not buying Fear Itself...and I like Johns and Kubert.  So...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

I like a lot about this first issue...but the big thing that sucked me in...Bruce Wayne died as a child on this world and Thomas, his father, has become Batman.  That's interesting...and he is a much more Golden Age-type killer Batman.

I like that Cyborg is the Superman of this world. 

Having the Earth torn apart by an Atlantis/Themyscira war is interesting...sorry Europe.  :(

The splitting of Captain Marvel's, here Captain Thunder, powers among six kids is a cool idea.

I wonder if the Outsider is Alfred?

I think I'll buy the main series along with the Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman/Lois, and Green Lantern tie-ins.  And, maybe, the Deadman/Flying Graysons one if the art is as cool as the covers.

Views: 323

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the lead-up to the creation of Captain Marvel, there was one point in which it was six characters with the powers. Captain Thunder was also the character's name before publication.
I waited to read this thread until I had a chance to read the “Flashpoint” preview in the FCBD Green Lantern Special Edition. I must say, the preview didn’t entice me to read the series at all, but I will continue to read this discussion to possibly tradewait. It still looks like one big “ElseWorlds” to me, but I’m willing to be shown differently.
I hope no one picks it up and then complains that it has nothing to do with the TV show.

Well...he is Batman...his one superpower is winning.

Jeff, it sounds like the end of Flashpoint will be a new beginning for the DC universe titles.  All storylines are ending just before the last issue and all of the creators have signed non-disclosure documents on what they will be working on post-August of this year.  In mid-June, just before the Green Lantern movie hits, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee are having a big presentation about the DC titles from autumn on.

Very interesting. I'm getting to be more and more of a Marvelite these days, finding a lot more interest in those books than any DC ones. I will, however, be following this idea closely...
Apparently, DC is launching something called The Dark later this year - and with only one comic coming out end of August, it looks like this is going to have some fairly major repercussions...
Jeff, it sounds like the end of Flashpoint will be a new beginning for the DC universe titles.

...it looks like this is going to have some fairly major repercussions.

Hmm... Interesting.
Batman is Charlie Sheen???

Doc Beechler (mod-MD) said:

Well...he is Batman...his one superpower is winning.

This might be the total jumping off point for me.

I have been debating to stop buying the few titles a get now, but if this is another company-wide reboot, they won't miss my $20.

Mike Williams said:

Apparently, DC is launching something called The Dark later this year - and with only one comic coming out end of August, it looks like this is going to have some fairly major repercussions...
JeffCarter said:
Very interesting. I'm getting to be more and more of a Marvelite these days, finding a lot more interest in those books than any DC ones. I will, however, be following this idea closely...

I'm the opposite; "Civil War" and all that followed turned me off to Marvel, to the point where I've dropped every Marvel title I was getting and stuck with the DC titles I was enjoying, mostly because most of them aren't tied into the mega-crossover of the day -- Secret Six, Jonah Hex, Birds of Prey. Fables, Booster Gold.

I have thorough crossover fatigue. I want to read stories about my favorite characters and teams, not ginned-up "events" that take them away from their adventures. Not that I never read crossovers -- I was on board for Infinite Crisis -- but I've had it with Infinite Final Identity Crisis at Zero Hour. This might be a jumping-off point for me, too. At least I still have Incorruptible, Irredeemable, Life With Archie and Love and Capes ....
Jeff of Earth-J said:
It still looks like one big “ElseWorlds” to me, but I’m willing to be shown differently.

That's what it is, really. But, like one of the best Elseworlds, Age of Apocalypse, this will have lasting repercussions in the main DCU. Whatever the "main DCU" is after August...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

I bought the second printing of Flashpoint #1 today (for the information of those of you scoring at home).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service