So, I wasn't going to buy this.  But I like big summer stories and I'm not buying Fear Itself...and I like Johns and Kubert.  So...

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

I like a lot about this first issue...but the big thing that sucked me in...Bruce Wayne died as a child on this world and Thomas, his father, has become Batman.  That's interesting...and he is a much more Golden Age-type killer Batman.

I like that Cyborg is the Superman of this world. 

Having the Earth torn apart by an Atlantis/Themyscira war is interesting...sorry Europe.  :(

The splitting of Captain Marvel's, here Captain Thunder, powers among six kids is a cool idea.

I wonder if the Outsider is Alfred?

I think I'll buy the main series along with the Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Superman/Lois, and Green Lantern tie-ins.  And, maybe, the Deadman/Flying Graysons one if the art is as cool as the covers.

Views: 336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ISSUE #3: I’m not saying I’m not enjoying it, but so far the only difference I see between Flashpoint and an ordinary run-of-the-mill “ElseWorlds” (apart from its scope, of course), is the presence of Barry Allen (the “real” one, I mean). A lot of the discussion so far has centered around things not revealed or made clear in the series itself. Some of those things are proving true, but if the information is obtained via the fan press rather than the comic book itself, that’s not good storytelling. In this issue, Batman wasn’t convincingly old enough to be Thomas Wayne. Also, Flash plants himself firmly on the stupid side of the age old “heredity vs. environment” debate. Interesting take on Superman, though, but there is a lot (a LOT) of writer’s fiat involved in the way it was handled.

Batman's response to Superman flying away did make me chuckle. 

I saw a LOT of the Flashpoint minis still on the racks at my LCS. Over-ordering or lack of interest?
Jeff of Earth-J said:
ISSUE #3: I’m not saying I’m not enjoying it, but so far the only difference I see between Flashpoint and an ordinary run-of-the-mill “ElseWorlds” (apart from its scope, of course), is the presence of Barry Allen (the “real” one, I mean). 

A lot of things (obvious or just hinted at) in Flashpoint so far will have repercussions on the new DCU; Cyborg's prominence, the existence of several members of the Wildstorm Universe, the lack of any mention of super-powered heroes from the past (like the JSA), and Frankenstein & the Creatures of the Unknown. Unlike Age of Apocalypse (which is what I first saw Flashpoint as being equivalent to) the Flashpoint Universe represents an actual middle ground or transition point between the old (current) DCU and the new (relaunch) DCU.

My theory of the timeline could best be described as follows: Everything that happens in the DCU up until August 24 (our time!) takes place in the current DCU. Then Professor Zoom goes back and changes a bunch of stuff, altering the timeline multiple times (with the end goal of making Barry see everything he fought and stood for be for naught, before killing him outright) changing the entire timeline to the Flashpoint timeline. Then on August 31 (our time again!) The final issue of Flashpoint will have the heroes "fix" the Flashpoint timeline, except certain things cannot be changed back exactly, and this causes the changes that creates the new DCU status quo, which we will see for the first time that same day in Justice League #1.

This storyline is therefore, not an Elseworlds (because it's the core timeline that is actually changed and is not "another" Earth), but rather a stepping stone to the new DCU. In this sense, it's more of a Crisis than an Elseworlds. Heck, it's more of a Crisis than Final Crisis was.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Philip Portelli said:
I saw a LOT of the Flashpoint minis still on the racks at my LCS. Over-ordering or lack of interest?

Or expectations of long-term sales. (That's why I still have plenty.) (Except for the Flashpoint: Batman and Abin Sur #1s. Man those sold great! I have reorders coming on those.) You'd have to ask your LCS of course to find out.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

ISSUE #4: This series has now officially gone on too long (AFAIAC). Flash and the other super powered characters (I hesitate to the them "heroes") spend most of the issue trying to convince the Marvel Family to join the fight against Aquaman and Wonder Woman (who are fighting each other). The entirety of the issue is marking time until the last-page reveal of you-probably-already-know-who-if-you've-been-paying-attention. This is one of those series designed to appeal only to fanboys but with little real story appeal. The highlight of the issue was the final blurb: "To Be Concluded!"
A silly helmut? Isn't a silly Helmut when Baron Zemo has had too much alcohol? Photobucket

Jeff of Earth-J wrote:

"Jumping Off Points (or “JOPs”) such as Crisis on Infinite Earths and Flashpoint are provided by DC as a courtesy to provide such readers with a sense of closure."

HAH!!!  I don't think that's what they had in mind when they did them... (Of course, "Waid's World" proved to be mine when it came to LEGION.)

Dagwan wrote:

This storyline is therefore, not an Elseworlds (because it's the core timeline that is actually changed and is not "another" Earth), but rather a stepping stone to the new DCU. In this sense, it's more of a Crisis than an Elseworlds. Heck, it's more of a Crisis than Final Crisis was.

Oh, then it's kinda like "Mordru's World". (That was when Keith Giffen decided to pulla hissy fit and REBOOTED the LEGION universe twice in 2 months. If he had "simply" written NEW stories about the Legion and not mentioned Superboy (WHO WAS DEAD by then, anyway), none of that would have been "necessary". But since the editor on LSH had been fired due to some behind-the-scenes office politics B.S., there was nobody there at that moment to tell him, "NO, you can't do that!")

I wouldn't know what Giffen's motivation was ("hissy fit" or not), but I REALLY liked that story. It is like that, though.

ISSUE #4: This series has now officially gone on too long (AFAIAC). Flash and the other super powered characters (I hesitate to the them "heroes") spend most of the issue trying to convince the Marvel Family to join the fight against Aquaman and Wonder Woman (who are fighting each other). The entirety of the issue is marking time until the last-page reveal of you-probably-already-know-who-if-you've-been-paying-attention. This is one of those series designed to appeal only to fanboys but with little real story appeal. The highlight of the issue was the final blurb: "To Be Concluded!"
I don't know, I quite enjoyed this issue, although you're right, it didn't really move the plot forward that much.  I read this issue before Secret 7 and the twist caught me by surprise.  Also, I quite liked this iteration of the Marvel Family.  It makes me wonder why, with all the tie in series, they didn't do one for the Marvel Family.  I would have been all over it.
She has less than four weeks to decide.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service