Here it is

I tend to agree with most of what the writer has to say. The article did give me a headache with all the times Marvel has recently started a new series then revert to the old number by including the number of the new series and old series and even some other series. I just got a headache again.

What are your thoughts on the constant re-numbering game? Do you think new readers prefer to start at number 1?

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gosh, what a surprise. It's hard not to be cynical, reading how excited they are to be restarting every comic (yet again) except for the two that are a few years from #1000. Because ACTION #1 comes along every few years now, but #1000 will be a double-bag, die-cut extravaganza!

But I am impressed that you found this thread to resurrect. Even I had forgotten how psychic I was.

-- MSA

ACTION, DETECTIVE COMICS RETURN TO ORIGINAL NUMBERING”

I’m sorry, but diverting from the original numbering is like losing your virginity. Once it happens you can never go back. The "missing" numbers will always be missing, making an unbroken run impossible.

Exactly. I don't know how much of the audience is still buying to "complete" a title collection, but they really try to discourage that these days, either deliberately or accidentally.  

Mostly, I think both the new #1s and the return to high numbers offers good jumping off points. I doubt they pick up too many new readers with a #950. But having just had a new Action #1, they no doubt feel there is more revenue to be milked out of it in a few years for #1000, by which time maybe people will have forgotten the interim numbers and buy multiple copies of such a collector's edition.

I do wonder what people buying the new titles since #1, thinking they have complete runs, will think when the next issue is #950.

This marketing hoo-ha must work--there are so many cover variations these days that they must find it boosts sales somehow. I don't hear anybody saying that they bought six copies with different covers, but a number of pop-culture magazines do it too, so it must be worth doing.

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service