Views: 865

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...In my now former town of Santa Cruz, CA, my LCS had a home sort of curbside pickup thing going for a while, apparently - CA, of course, is now on official lockdown, so I suppose that's over now.

The Beat has a good rundown on various publishers' publishing plans for the next month or so. Heidi plans to update the article as things change -- and they certainly will. 

Due to the new rules set down in Texas, Mycomicshop.com has ceased operations for now.

Locally, Duncanville Book Store is doing a sale through Facebook Live 2-3 times a week.

I'm starting to wonder what the recovery will look like. You know, looking at Marvel and DC, their long-running titles go back years... decades... published consistantlky on a monthly basis. Sure, there are some cases in which certain titles switch back and forth between monthly or bi-monthly status (Action Comics even went weekly for a time), but I'd be hard-pressed to think of a time when one of the Big Two missed a number of a series that wasn't cancelled.

Now, with printers not printing and distibutors not distributing, they're liable to miss a lot of numbers. I've preordered solicitations four or five months in advance. What's going to happen when the system is up and running again? How does that work?

Some people are saying this is the death of comics. That's doomsaying, and not to be trusted. But I *do* think this will be the biggest change in the business of comics since Marvel bought Heroes World in the 90s and began to self-distribute, which ultimately led to the Diamond monopoly.

I think we might wind up with multiple comics distributors again, as some companies will want to get their books out before Diamond is up and running. I think we're likely to see a few publishers close up shop. I think we'll see a change in the viability of digital comics, and maybe a change the overall publishing model. There's a push-and-pull between shops and publishers, with Diamond (and alternative distributors) in the middle, and digital services like Comixology putting tension on the system from the side. I don't see how this system undergoes this much stress and uncertainty without things changing, one way or another. 

Another way of looking at this is like the blizzards of 1977 and 1978, which caused so many distribution problems that DC had to cancel half of its expanded line (what became known as the DC Implosion). Even a hiccup like that -- minor, considering what we're facing now -- caused a lot of disruption. This is much bigger, and the effects could be much broader. If we get out of this with just a bunch of unfortunate cancellations, we should consider ourselves lucky.   

There's a lot of unemployment happening right now, and who knows how quickly some of those jobs will come back? Circulations for comics could start dropping hard when comics get back to publishing at all. Will publishers be able to weather that? Will DC and Marvel retreat to playing "just the hits"? We'll see. 

I just assume that the numbering (except for the month) will continue from where they left off. Hopefully comic shops will be able to continue.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I'm starting to wonder what the recovery will look like. You know, looking at Marvel and DC, their long-running titles go back years... decades... published consistantlky on a monthly basis. Sure, there are some cases in which certain titles switch back and forth between monthly or bi-monthly status (Action Comics even went weekly for a time), but I'd be hard-pressed to think of a time when one of the Big Two missed a number of a series that wasn't cancelled.

Now, with printers not printing and distibutors not distributing, they're liable to miss a lot of numbers. I've preordered solicitations four or five months in advance. What's going to happen when the system is up and running again? How does that work?

I didn't state that very well, but I meant that there might be a gap of several months between (let us say) issue #145 and #146.

Currently, I am ordering my sundry "Batman" collections and loading them into a spreadsheet to see what kind of duplication there is... between, say, Gene Colan art in the Gerry Conway volume and Gerry Conway writing in the Gene Colan volume. (Incidentally, those are the only two major creators in the "Legends of..." and "Tales of..." collections who have the same initials, so I am color coding them as well.) Currently, I can pretty much click and drag the issue number to populate cells for years without a discrepancy (except, as I mentioned, when titles go from bi-monthly to monthly or bi-weekly or something like that).

Apparently there's now the chance that Diamond may shut down permanently. 

Also both DC and Marvel aren't going digital for new releases.

In NYC, Midtown Comics is having on-line sales for 20-25% off plus a 99 cents blowout as well.

If Diamond shuts down permanently, that's a huge disruption -- pretty much the biggest one there can be, outside of DC or Marvel shutting its doors. And I don't know anything about the company's financial straits, but I can easily imagine it happening in a catastrophe of this size. Or, another scenario is that Diamond takes longer to get up and running than big players like DC & Marvel want to wait, so they each find other distributors, and Diamond is left with some of the smaller publishers. 

If Diamond doesn't get back on its feet FAST once publishing resumes, at the very least its monopoly is gone. And without that monopoly, how long will it stay viable as a company? 

I really am having a difficult time keeping track of what day it is without my weekly trip to my LCS. My weeks used to go like this...

Monday

The day before Comic Book Day

Comic Book Day

The day after Comic Book Day

Friday

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service