Views: 861

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I understand that some comic stores have the boxes of new comics shipped directly to their stores. My LCS does an in-person pick-up at the Diamond warehouse every week. UPS would ship new comics to Diamond so that they would be available for pick-up on Tuesday and sale on Wednesday. When a major holiday fell on a Monday, which is common, the on-sale date would shift to Thursday. Apparently this was confusing to the customers so the on-sale date was locked-in as Wednesday every week. That meant that stores picking up books had to go to the warehouse on Wednesday morning and be prepared to sell them the same day. My LCS bags and boards all comics so this also had to be done. There are no Monday holidays until September. Some time between now and then DC and everybody else will probably go back to Wednesdays.

Bookstores in California are being told they can "open for curbside service," which my LCS was already doing. Just no new books.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I was thinking about collating all of my boxes on unread comics, that way I can read all of my unread Daredevil or Action Comics at one time. There will be less of a chance of just getting a partial story line. BUT! Once I saw that would entail sorting 7 longboxes and another 4-5 shorties. I decided,"Nah, that's alright."

Have you seen the new Previews catalog?

For the past several months, DC's listing have been in a separate, comic book-sized book; Marvel's have been like that for years. Now, both separate catalogs are gone; Marvel's listing have been moved into the main catalog, but DC's are gone entirely. Only about half of my pre-orders from March have been relisted in the new catalog. I have heard California alone makes up about 30% of Marvel's sales, and New York abohter 20%. with both of those states still in lockdown, Marvel may not have a market for its titles. At this point, after two weeks of new shipments, I have yet to see a Marvel collection I've pre-ordered.

I'm glad you brought this up, Jeff. If you hadn't I would have. I picked up a new Previews today. I'm happy that there is no individual catalog in there. I hated the separate Marvel, DC, and once in a while Image booklets. Unfortunately, DC is in the order form. but no listings or descriptions are in the catalog. You have to go online to view it. Which is a beating.

On top of that, I figured with everything going on, the April issue was pretty much cancelled. WRONG! Monday, I get a text from the owner of my LCS asking me if I still had my copy. I did, so he asked me to bring it in since he sold his copy, and to go ahead and fill it out on top of that. Go figure.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Have you seen the new Previews catalog?

For the past several months, DC's listing have been in a separate, comic book-sized book; Marvel's have been like that for years. Now, both separate catalogs are gone; Marvel's listing have been moved into the main catalog, but DC's are gone entirely. Only about half of my pre-orders from March have been relisted in the new catalog. I have heard California alone makes up about 30% of Marvel's sales, and New York abohter 20%. with both of those states still in lockdown, Marvel may not have a market for its titles. At this point, after two weeks of new shipments, I have yet to see a Marvel collection I've pre-ordered.

Midtown Comics in NYC is doing curbside pickups but instead of their 15% discount off new books, it's now 12% and some books like Legion of Super-Heroes aren't discounted at all.

"You have to go online to view it. Which is a beating."

Oh, that is a total pain in the @$$!

I hope their new (non-Diamond) distribution is more like what we're used to.

Golden Apple Comics in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles is, like my own comic shop, delivering comics in the back of their store. Sounds like they will be open to inside customers next week. Their street, Melrose Avenue, was the victim of destruction and looting, but not their part of the long street. They had boarded up the front and local artists painted a mural of Black superheroes on the wood. If you want to see the mural, it's on their Facebook page.

My comics store sent a note to customers about changes its making to keep going. It went to curbside pickup a few weeks ago, but it's on the second floor of an old house, so I expect it's a pain for its staff to go up and down the stairs all the time. (Even before this COVID-19 situation, they frequently had to complain to UPS because, half the time, the delivery guy wouldn't bring the boxes of new comics up the stairs.)

They have since made arrangements with the taco restaurant in the basement level for people to pick up their comics there. When you do, you get a discount for meals.

In the note, they said they want customers to put a credit card on file, and to pay for the stuff in their pull list when it arrives at the store, not when you come to get it or have it sent. And now, they'll mail stuff to you when you reach $20 worth of books in your file. Also, they won't be giving away the Previews catalogs any more; they'll charge for them.

All sounds reasonable to me. I live in the 'burbs and haven't been downtown since the first week of March. I've been in my car exactly once since then, and I really don't know when I'll venture out. 

They have tried to keep their community of customers going, doing their usual events online via Zoom. I've participated in the monthly Trivia Night, and they've done drawing classes and several book clubs. I appreciate it, and I hope they can last through this situation and come out okay on the other side.

Yeah, CK, adjustments have been made regarding pull lists, even before Covid-19. In my local shop, I think new customers have had to pay when they order. For a long time some pull customers would order a large quantity of books and either pick up small increments or none of them. They would either never have the money or have already bought the books elsewhere. As we know, the non-returnable books seldom go up in value.

Hope you start your car sometimes. I found out years ago the hard way that the computers in modern cars will run down a battery.

Richard Willis said:

Hope you start your car sometimes. I found out years ago the hard way that the computers in modern cars will run down a battery

We found that out that day..We have two cars and tried to start one and it wouldn't budge, so we got in the other one. The thing is, the car that wouldn't start ran three days earlier when my wife went on a grocery run. And it still wouldn't start when we came back and tried to jump-start it. 

The next day, we called AAA to have it towed to our friendly neighborhood mechanic. Surprisingly (to us), the tow truck driver jumpstarted the car, so we drove it to the mechanic's shop. Unsurprisingly, we needed to replace the battery. Then he recommended replacing two tires, and other expensive stuff. I like my mechanic, and I trust him; we've been loyal customers for many years, but he ain't cheap. 

My LCS is open for business again, but has a city-mandated limit on the number of customers in the store at one time, and masks must be worn by employees. I have started a pull list for the first time in years, because I want to do my part to help them stay in business.

On Thursday I finally picked up three comics at my LCS here in Los Angeles County. They started using a website called ComicHub.com. Customers were provided an account showing what books had come in for them and pay online for curbside pickup. I'm friends with the owner and the manager. The manager said they had just set up so customers could come inside. Obviously, masks and distancing are required. I told him I would probably come inside next time. My pull list is very short, so that may not be next week.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service