Yesterday , I bought FILMFAX , ELLERY QUEEN MYSTERY MAGAZINE* , THE STRAND , and an OTR-focused thing titled NOSTALGIA DIGEST...I almost bought FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION , but money was low...! Get the picture ??

Let's discuss " real " - um , newsstand-distributed - magazines , " upscale fanzine/semi-pro " , and maybe even some actual fanzine-level magazines either ABOUT genre material or (fiction) containing it...There's not as many as there used to were , y'know !!!!!!!!! That Innernet thingy...

*-Finally corrected my mis-possessive :-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Views: 422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I bought AHMM , F&SF , and Nostalgia Digest  (at the same store I referred to) , and I bought the above-referenced SATEVEPOST for its Beatles' US-50th anniversary cover reusing , in black & white , the color picture (Or an alternate , possibly .) of the Beatles that they put on a 1964 cover story on them ~ along with reprinting the article on them that appeared in that issue & its picturs , an article that looks much longer than most magazines would print today !

My aunt had a stock of SatEvePosts from this era , including this issue , and I used to read them .

I also bought the McSweeny's-published THE BELIEVER and a (post-Nobel-blurbed - I had long wanted it) Alice Munro's short story collection DEAR LIFE . Also , at the comic shop I'd regularly gone to here in Santa Cruz , I bought a late  2013-dated DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE .

...This week , had a re-encounter with the quite nice Fog City News on Market Street here in San Francisco , the first in a long while...and I got AHMM , F&SF , and both of the two EQMMs they had in stock :-) !!!!!!!!!!!

I got HARPERS , THE NEW YORK REVIEW OF BOOKS , and THE LONDON REVIEW OF BOOKS , top . And...

some funnybooks !!!!!!!!!!!

Howev , this is a crossover with my " Funny places to get " line , so...........

I've meant to post this for a while - per their Facebook page, the original and I guess last " confession magazine ", TRUE STORY, appears to have quietly gone out of business in 2017!:-( Earlier their page (or possibly one for TRUE CONFESSIONS - I mix them up) had posts noting that they had done so " again " and complaining about not getting their subscription refunded. Now those posts seem to be gone but promo posts for TRUE Story remain up, no later than mid-2017.

I w

became interested in confession magazines in the 00s (or 90s) after reading an article on them by one JohnMarr (or spelling variant - yes, same name as the former Smiths guitarist). At that time there was a different owner and their website was truestoryonline and they had five " True " titles but not all regular titles, some recurrent/specials IIRC. " True Story " was the first CONFESSIONS magazine but the genre became known as ' Confession Magazines ".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service