Giant Monsters!

We gotta have a thread to discuss the giant monsters - those of Japan, and their cousins from around the world. You know, Godzilla, Gamera, Gorgo, Reptilicus - those folks!I figured I'd start it off with one of my favorite posts from the old board: ------------------------------------------------------------------- Reasons Why Gamera vs. Zigra is better Than All Three Lord of the Rings Pictures: 1)None of these LOTR characters flies by spinning through the air and shooting fire out of their bodily orifices! (Let's see Gandalf do that!) 2)None of these LOTR pictures has annoying little boys in disturbing shorts who get to tell the army what to do! 3)None of these LOTR pictures has an annoying little girl demanding a Coke every five minutes! 4)None of these LOTR pictures has a spaceship shaped like a candy dish filled with Trix in it. 5)Certainly none of the LOTR pictures has a song as stirring as the "Gamera March". 6)There are no scenes of killer whales getting their teeth checked in the LOTR pictures. 7)No seals playing basketball,either. 8)There are no lectures on ecology in the LOTR pictures. At least, I don't think there are. 9)Gamera is the friend to all children. Sauron isn't. 10)Gamera vs. Zigra has a guy dressed like the "It's" Man in it. 11)At no point in LOTR do we get to see toy planes being blown up! 12)In Gamera vs. Zigra a hot chick wanders around town in a bikini. (Hubba-hubba!) 13)None of the LOTR pictures features two guys arguing about who needs fish more! 14)Gamera can shoot fire underwater! 15)It took three pictures to get a ring into Mount Doom? Gamera would of done it in twenty minutes, and then had a nice bath in the lava! 16)In Gamera vs. Zigra villains can be defeated by yelling "Aahh!" at them. 17)Gamera vs. Zigra has a bathyscaph. LOTR doesn't. 18)No scenes featuring Christopher Lee were cut from Gamera vs. Zigra. 19)Gamera vs. Zigra has only one "false ending". 20)At no point in the LOTR pictures do we get to watch an alien monster pretend to take a nap. 21)Finally - and most importantly - in none of the LOTR pictures do we get to see a giant turtle physically degrade an alien fish by sticking a big meatball on its nose, abusing its backside by using a stone club to beat out his theme music on it and then setting it on fire! Top that, Frodo!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• big-man-japan.jpg

Has anybody seen Big Man Japan yet? Pat and I watched it over the weekend when he was home recuperating from his broken ankle. It a faux documentary that follows around a Japanese superhero, "Big Man Japan," whose job is to grow to gigantic proportions and battle the various monsters that attack the country. He's presented as a low-paid government employee whose best days are behind him, but he accepts his lot in life with stoic resignation.

It starts a little slow, but when we see Big Man battling some truly bizarre monsters, it's pretty good.
  • Rich Lane said:

Has anybody seen Big Man Japan yet? Pat and I watched it over the weekend when he was home recuperating from his broken ankle. It a faux documentary that follows around a Japanese superhero, "Big Man Japan," whose job is to grow to gigantic proportions and battle the various monsters that attack the country. He's presented as a low-paid government employee whose best days are behind him, but he accepts his lot in life with stoic resignation.

It starts a little slow, but when we see Big Man battling some truly bizarre monsters, it's pretty good.

You know, I saw that in the store, but didn't pick it up because I hadn't heard anything about it. Now, I may have to give it a look.
  • Got to see Big Man Japan - I enjoyed it alot, there were several moments that had me in hysterics. I particularly liked the bit that ran with the closing credits.
  • Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack -- Godzilla should not have fangs!
  • Yeah, that's kind of one of the odder of the "Millennium" series films.
  • Action Lad's Pop Culture Mash-Up of the Day:

"Maybe Godzilla came from Oz. Maybe he grew up in Oz and then moved to Japan."
  • Doctor Hmmm? said:
    Action Lad's Pop Culture Mash-Up of the Day:

"Maybe Godzilla came from Oz. Maybe he grew up in Oz and then moved to Japan."

Awesome.
  • I watched Gamera: The Giant Monster (1965) and Gamera vs. Barugon (1966) over the last couple of days.  I remember watching Gamera movies when I was a kid, but (despite the fact that there really weren't that many Gamera movies) I don't remember ever seeing either of these. Hmmm ...

Toshio, the "Kenny" prototype, is the most seriously delusional kid I've ever seen. 

Barugon is without a doubt -- and this is really saying something -- the kaiju that most clearly seems to have been designed by a committee of 6-year-old boys.  (Not that that's a bad thing.)

"He should walk on all fours, and have spikes on his back and a really BIG spike on his nose."

"Cool.  And his blood should be purple."

"Yeah, and instead of breathing fire, his mouth should shoot out freeze rays."

"No, his tongue.  He should have a really long tongue, like a chameleon, and whenever he wants to freeze anybody, he has to stick his tongue out at them first. BLEAAHH!!!"

1936069187?profile=original

"HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!"

"And ... and ... and his back spikes should shoot rainbows!"

"Huh?"

"His back spikes should shoot rainbows!"

"Dude, that's stoopid!"

"But ... uh ... they're explosive rainbows.  If you touch them, you explode!"

1936069403?profile=original

"Cool!"

• Barugon was always my favorite of Gamera's enemies.

• I'm watching the Shout! Factory releases from last year.  The transfers (especially of Baragon) are really pretty gorgeous.

This reply was deleted.