I always pronounced it with a hard "g", like "begin gold" without the "be"..

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The film Colossus and the Headhunters (1960), which was featured in Show 605 of Mystery Science Theater 3000, had a character named "Maciste", which was pronounced "Mah-CHEESS-tay".

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Here's another example I try (but often fail) to respect because it comes from the writer. Mike Grell's Warlord had a supporting character named Machiste, which I always pronounced Mock-EEST-ay. When the first tpb collection was released, Mike Grell wrote in the introduction, "I don't know how you pronounce it, but I say MOCK-i-stay."  I think I've got that right (or close to it). 

Ultraman Ginga = hard G, too.

I used to mispronounce Darkseid until I learned Jack Kirby pronounced it "Dark-side" (but I still think "Dark-seed" sounds cooler).

I would expect that, because the Japanese tend not to use the soft "g".

Jeff of Earth-J said:

But now I'm imagining an Ultraman/Gilligan's Island mash-up called Ultraman Ginger.

The Baron said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Gilligan, drop those kyodai-nuts!

Doctor Hmmm? said:

But now I'm imagining an Ultraman/Gilligan's Island mash-up called Ultraman Ginger.

The Baron said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Speaking of pronunciation, I'm adding "Shang-Chi" to the long list of names from comic books I mispronounced for decades until someone heard them in a movie/TV show. It is apparently pronounced "Shong CHEE." I was mispronouncing both words. I pronounced it ... well, "Shang CHI." (I did get the emphasis right.)

I always had the CHEE part right but I just found out the SHONG part when they started advertising the movie. 

I loved the original series, especially the Paul Gulacy art.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I used to mispronounce Darkseid until I learned Jack Kirby pronounced it "Dark-side" (but I still think "Dark-seed" sounds cooler).

I never had a problem with that, probably as a result of German language lessons at school.  Our teacher pointed out that it should be easy enough to remember to pronounce "EI" as "EYE", and "IE" as "EEE", since "Heil" and "Diesel" are two German words that everyone can pronounce!  So, if you want Kirby's creation to be called "Dark-seed", it would have to be spelled "Darksied".

Oh. I did not know that. That's a good rule to remember. Thanks!

I thought it was Dark Side because that was a very Kirby thing to do. Subtlety really wasn't his string point, at least not in everything I've read that he's written. 

I always pronounced it with the hard G. But I believe they've used the soft G on the Flash TV show, and had I been familiar with gin when I read my first Flash comic (which guest-starred Elongated Man) I would likely have used a soft G, too. And the "By Gingold" exclamation that Peter remembers is pretty compelling evidence for the soft G, too, by jingo!

Then there's the new Marvel movie, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. In all the ads and trailers I've seen, his name is pronounced "Shang" as in rhymes with "long." My entire life, I've pronounced it "Shang" as in rhymes with "hang."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service