Going Through My Graphic Novels: Cull or Keep? (SPOILERS)

I've got rather alot of graphic novels, most of which sit on my bookshelves or in boxes in my closets from one year to the next, never being looked at. So, I've decided to go through them all, re-reading each one and deciding whether to keep it or to cull it. Culls will be donated to the local public library.

As I re-read each one, I'm going to try to present my impression of each one, and then announce the verdict: Cull or Keep?

There will be spoilers here, so beware. I most likely won't read one every day, but I 'm going to try to keep up a steady pace.

Views: 4642

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's sort of a way of having your cake and eating it, too, but for me it seldom works.

Read My Friend Dahmer, by Derf Backderf. Fascinating-but-disturbing memoir by a guy who knew Jeffrey Dahmer in high school.  Doesn't excuse Dahmer, but does show how the adults in his life seemd to have no awareness of just what a disturbed kid he was.  Worth a look if you get a chance.

Cull or Keep?:  Keep. 

JLA - Created Equal, by Fabian Nicieza, Kevin Maguire and Joe Rubinstein. A two-volume "Elseworlds", in which a mysterious radiation cloud kills off all men on Earth except Superman and Luthor. It's an interesting idea, but I didn't that the execution was all that good. The art's OK, though.

Cull or Keep?:  Cull.

Read The Zombie Survival Guide - Recorded Attacks, by Max Brooks and Ibraim Roberson. This book illustrates various "zombie" attacks, from 60,000 BC to AD 1992.   If you like Brooks' World War Z, you may find this reasonably amusing.The art is pretty good.

Cull or Keep?:  Keep. 

Ms. Marvel - Generation Why is another one that isn't really a "graphic Novel", so much as it is a "collection", the second collection of the adventures of Kamala Khan.  So far, so good on this book, as Kamala is an engaging  character well-presented. In addition to fun super-hero action, the book provides a look at a culture which I, like many americans, know little about.

I enjoyed the first TPB collection featuring Kamala, and am waiting for delivery of the second volume. I like that her powers (and artwork) are not conventional.

The Baron said:

Ms. Marvel - Generation Why is another one that isn't really a "graphic Novel", so much as it is a "collection", the second collection of the adventures of Kamala Khan.  So far, so good on this book, as Kamala is an engaging  character well-presented. In addition to fun super-hero action, the book provides a look at a culture which I, like many americans, know little about.

The Baron said:

Next up is Ministry of Space, by Warren Ellis and Chris Weston. On the one hand, it's a wish fulfillment fantasy, presenting an alternate history where Britain wins the space race, building a new empire on the Moon and Mars, but at the same time showing that this new empire was built on blood and murder (as all empires are), and we end seeing that racial segregation still exists in 21st Century Britain in this timeline. It's all very improbable -the idea that the Americans and the Soviets would just sit back and let the British take over the solar System is absurd - but the story carries one along anyway.

The art  in this is exquisite,  and very reminiscent of the old Dan Dare stories, which suits the story perfectly.

Cull or Keep?: Keep.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service