I recently picked up a Man-Bat special from 1984 that reprinted three of his earliest appearances. They weren't bad, but they didn't blow me away. I also have a book & record comic that i think is an original story, and I've read his self-titled series from the 1970's, neither of which impressed me. Are there any truly great Man-Bat stories from the silver/bronze age?

Views: 897

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doctor Hmmm? said:
Figserello said:
The Lizard bores me to tears...

You, sir, are a Philistine!

He makes a cute avatar though!
There was a lush Elseworlds 3-parter (square-bound IIRC) illustrated by John Bolton that starred Man-Bat. Despite great art, it has disappeared without a trace. I think it was heading to a really downbeat ending when I Byrne-stole it...
Actually I have that issue of DCCP; it's a favorite, but only because it was one of the first comics I ever bought.

Luke Blanchard said:
My pleasure, Mr. S. "Servicable" isn't a very clear description. I meant the two stories are undistinguished DC comics of their time. The DC Comics Presents one is very much a Superman story, and has a dumb twist ending.
I loved the "Elseworlds" story also! I couldn't figure out why it was Elseworlds, but it was definitely mature-reader material. Wonderful story. I bought each issue for a quarter and then gave it away. Great use of seventy-five cents.
This isn't silver/bronze age, but I liked the way that Grant Morrison used Man-Bat in his Batman and Son story a couple of years ago.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service