Now that the show has debuted, what are your thoughts?

Views: 6846

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

My thought is they planned Barbara's character arc, as it has unfolded, from the beginning.

I'm having a hard time with the notion that a serial killer has been at large for 10 years because he attacks relatives of investigating police officers. The first time that happened, any police agency worth its salt would move heaven and Earth to catch him, because you just CAN'T have that! 

Ah, but this is the Gotham PD, where the cops are not just corrupt, they're gutless, too ... ! 

Well, you at least have to give the GCPD points for being consistent!

My wife instantly understood that scene where Barbara was spared , and cited chapter and verse when she explained it to me. Yes, she was spared because Ogre thought he was going to kill one of Jim's "loved ones," but when it turned out she wasn't one, he switched to Plan B.

And I'm with Jeff -- I think Barbara's not only heading for a heel turn, I think it's been the plan all along. Giving her the first name of Jim's first wife from the comics is apparently a red herring.

I liked Lucius Fox. Last night's was the penultimate episode of the first season, and they're still introducing characters important to the mythos. I hope to see more of him next season.

The Riddler makes a turn.

The Penguin initiates a gang war.

Lots going on as this season barrels headlong to its conclusion.

Captain Comics said:

My wife instantly understood that scene where Barbara was spared , and cited chapter and verse when she explained it to me. Yes, she was spared because Ogre thought he was going to kill one of Jim's "loved ones," but when it turned out she wasn't one, he switched to Plan B.

And I'm with Jeff -- I think Barbara's not only heading for a heel turn, I think it's been the plan all along. Giving her the first name of Jim's first wife from the comics is apparently a red herring.

Barbara's choice of alternate victims surprised me. I thought she was going to point the Ogre at Leslie. I don't know how culpable she is in the deaths. I think she lost her mind and may wind up in Arkham. Supposedly Barbara and Leslie have a scene together next week.

I'm going to miss the show while it's getting ready for season 2.

A question -- when was it in the comics that the Waynes were in charge of some business conglomerate? Back in the '40s, they were just an old-money family, and Thomas Wayne was a doctor. When and where did Wayne Enterprises come from?

I thought Bruce built Wayne Enterprises.

IIRC, Thomas Wayne became a doctor but his family had what is called "old money." The establishment of Wayne Enterprises may have occurred during my 1979-to-early-1989 break from comics, when I was getting all of my information from Comic Buyer's Guide. I don't remember Bruce being anything but a rich playboy earlier.

When was it established that Batman didn't build all his gizmos and computers himself but had help with everything? Post-Crisis? Wikipedia says Lucius Fox first appeared in 1979. Maybe that's when Wayne Enterprises was introduced? When did they start saying Alfred raised Bruce?

According to what I've been able to dig out of the internet, when Alfred Pennyworth was killed in Detective Comics #328 (JUN64) Bruce established The Alfred Foundation. When Alfred "got better" this seems to have been renamed The Wayne Foundation. When Lucius Fox was introduced in Batman #307 (JAN79) it was to be the day-to-day executive in charge of the charitable Wayne Foundation. He was portrayed as very good at maximizing the investments and therefore the funds available for its charity work.

According to Wikipedia's "Wayne Enterprises" page, no reference was made to such a company in Tim Burton's 1989 and 1992 Batman films. It is mentioned In Joel Schumacher's 1995 movie Batman Forever. Also according to the same Wikipedia page, Wayne Enterprises, complete with Lucius Fox, was featured in Batman: The Animated Series which ran from 1992 to 1995. Unless someone can find an earlier reference in the comics it may be that it originated in Batman: The Animated Series.

There was something like a Wayne Foundation in the Adam West show.

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service