Green Lantern is perhaps my favorite DC character, but I haven’t been reading his adventures in his regular title for several years now. I picked up this one-shot for two reasons: 1) the unlikely pairing of two such different heroes, and 2) the creative team of Marv Wolfman and Brent Anderson. The result was… okay. It was a good, decent story (“with a beginning, a middle and an end,” as they say), but I doubt I’ll read it again any time soon.

Views: 88

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep; as a $2.99 one-shot (for a shorter issue), I might have picked it up. The $5 pricetag kept me away .. happily, it seems.

This read like it was written on the back of a napkin while taking the subway to work.  By the third time Hal said some variation of "I'm going to regret this" while pulling Plas along behind him, I was reading to use it for Scoobert to poop on.

I gotta say, this was pretty bad.  Heck, it wasn't even fun.

And just once I'd like to see someone remember that Plastic Man is bulletproof.

I settle for them remembering that even a Krypronite bullet can't pierce Superman's invulnerable skin.

You see, I disagree. The whole point is that the Green Lanterns AREN'T unique and that was inferred wayyyyy back in an early issue of GL when I read the first (?) issue of GL Chronicles. You WANT the GL's to be unique but that became a moot point when sinestro went rogue and created a YELLOW power ring. The whole time in the DC Universe there were other similar powers such as the Star Sapphires.

The GL's aren't "Space Cops." They're Universal Protectors!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I don't really disagree with your assessment, Eric. I did label it just "...okay" after all.

The Sinestro War drove me away from GL, and although I've heard some good things about the title lately, I just can't generate any interest in the "League of Rainbow Lanterns"... and I have tried (one issue, a while ago). To me, all those different colored Lanterns spoils the uniqueness of the concept. Once they get away from that, I'll be back. In the mantime, I have to rely on mediocre one-shots such as "Weapons of Mass Deception" to get my GL fix. 

It seems to be a growing trend in comics, the duplicate hero-family. Two Batmen, Robin, Red Robin, Batgirl, Oracle, Batwoman, International Batmen. Superman, Supergirl, Superboy. Green Hulk, Red Hulk, A-Bomb, Son of Hulk, She-Hulk, Savage She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk. It may be cool for a while but it eventually dilutes the main character and reduces the supporting ones to being replaceable, ignoreable and expendable.
What he said.

Philip Portelli said:
It may be cool for a while but it eventually dilutes the main character and reduces the supporting ones to being replaceable, ignoreable and expendable.
Interesting. I've heard the same argument used to militate against characters like Jenny and River Song in Doctor Who.

I posted elsewhere before seeing that this thread existed.

I read Green Lantern/Plastic Man: Weapons of Mass Deception. Written by Marv Wolfman and drawn by Brent Anderson, it's nothing special. It must have been a fill-in issue of Green Lantern or Brave and the Bold. I'd recommend it only for the Green Lantern or Plastic Man completist. For a summary, Hal Jordan doesn't think much of Plastic Man as a fellow member of the JLA. Of course, by the end, Jordan comes to appreciate Plastic Man's way of doing things.

And anyone who didn't see that Hal would come to appreciate Plas after the second "I'm going to regret this" has never read a comic before.  Hell, they may never have experienced pulp adventure in any form at all.

PowerBook Pete said:

I posted elsewhere before seeing that this thread existed.

I read Green Lantern/Plastic Man: Weapons of Mass Deception. Written by Marv Wolfman and drawn by Brent Anderson, it's nothing special. It must have been a fill-in issue of Green Lantern or Brave and the Bold. I'd recommend it only for the Green Lantern or Plastic Man completist. For a summary, Hal Jordan doesn't think much of Plastic Man as a fellow member of the JLA. Of course, by the end, Jordan comes to appreciate Plastic Man's way of doing things.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service