Have you seen it yet? How'd you like it? What were your favorite parts?

(Oh, and even though this is a spoiler thread, it's still really nice if you say a sentence or two before any spoilers, simply because the first line or so of text shows up in the feed. So it'd be good to extend that courtesy, especially in the first week or two of release.)

Views: 1435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, I went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy this afternoon. I have to give them credit - they took several characters which had never been interesting in the comics and managed to make a passable popcorn flick about them, so, points to them for that.

Whoever the guy was, was acceptable as Quill. He didn't do any briliant acting, but then the part didn't really require any brilliant acting, so he didn't really jar in  the part.

Uhura and Pond were both kind of wasted in this. Not that they did badly, but their parts didn't really offer them the scope to use the acting chops that I know they both have.

DAVE (I don't recall which member of the IWC* always referred to Batista as "DAVE", but it's stuck in my brain, and that's how I've always thought of him.) did much better than I thought he would as Drax, showing a good deal of subtle humor in an unsubtle part.

Groot was a good deal less annoying than I thought he would be. Before I saw the picture, someone compared him to Chewbacca, a character I find almost preternaturally tedious, but Groot was much less irritating.

My favorite character in the picture was Rocket, who was obnoxious in a fun way, but was given a little character depth at times.

Ronan the Accuser was a character of the purest cardboard, but then, you don't really need your heel to be all that complex in these kinds of pictures, really.

The plot of the pictures was fairly simplistic, but that's OK. You don't go to a movie like this in hopes of being provoked to deep thought.

I thought the post-credits sequence was kind of dumb. Howard was never a big favorite of mine, though I know he is almost fanatically loved by a certain segment of the fanboy population.  That said, I don't think they made good use of him here. If I was a fan of his, I might feel a little let down by the way they used him.

Overall:  Not too bad. Nowhere near as good as The Avengers was, but if you need to kill a couple of hours, this is a fun enough way to do it.

*Stands for "Internet Wrestling Community"

I saw it last night, and I loved it. I had a few minor quibbles, and the post-credits bit seemed...odd, but I think it helped that these were characters taht I was only vaguely familiar with, and that was fine. Heck, it was just nice to see a Marvel movie with a happy ending.

Like I said, I had a few quibbles, but mostly pretty silly ones, like how Starlord's cassette tape lasted for such a very long time and where was he getting AA batteries from.  Also I'm assuming the reference to Quill's father at the end by Yondu is basically setting up the next movie.  Ultimately though, it was one of the better superhero movies I've seen.

I've heard the complaint about the batteries a lot, and I just don't get it. He a spaceship, and a mask that lets him survive outer space, at least for a little while. With that kind of technology around, it seems like gerry-rigging some sort of alternative charge for a walkman is a pretty simple trick. 

Sounds like a joke. I think you're supposed to just laugh and go along with it.

Oh, I know, and Randy said it was a silly quibble. I just think in a movie where the heroes are saved by from a devastating spaceship crash by essentially wrapping themselves in a barrel, there are much more significant plot holes than how to muster the energy to turn a little spool.

My thought was that, yes, they were basically wrapped in wood. But I figured the wood, however fragile, took the brunt of the damage. It's not like Groot came out unscathed.

And I remember that very thought entering my head about the batteries--but then I just figured he found an even better power source out there in space that he could just adjust to fit into the battery casing. (I can't explain how the cassette tape lasted so long, though...haha.)

I still have a bunch of cassettes filled with songs I recorded off the radio in the late '80s and the '90s.  I really need to convert those to CDs.  Some of them have songs I can't even identify (instrumentals, mainly) or very rare tracks by obscure artists who got some play on the alternative station in San Francisco in the late '80s, as well as material I recorded when I livedi in Greece in the mid-90s.

I had a cassette about forty years old that broke when I tried to play it. I think that's one of the things you're just supposed to ignore, like Mighty Samson finding a supermarket and passing out the cans of food he found inside to hungry people. Since civilization had been destroyed before he was born eating cans that old probably killed everybody.

I believe playing a cassette about 10,000 times will leave it completely blank.

I saw the film again Saturday night. I liked it even better the second time around. Something I found interesting was that the audience the first time I saw it laughed and reacted to different scenes than the audience the second time. For instance the scene (Spoiler) when Rocket flew the ship into Ronan's ship the first audience cheered, the second time I saw it, nothing. However the second time I saw it the audience seemed to have a more sustained laugh through scenes causing me miss the next line of dialogue. Anyways I thought it was interesting.

Perhaps most of the audience had also seen it already by the second time, so they weren't impressed enough to cheer again, and concentrated more on the jokes.

Considering the fact movie Thor looks nothing like comic book Thor I was surprised that Ronan the Accuser actually looks like Ronan the Accuser.

My wife and I saw it, and loved it. My wife, especially, who was talking about it the next day.

I'll leave the reviews to others, but I'll address stuff where I have something to say ...

Rob: "there were some great bits with Rocket and Drax dealing with their own pain & loneliness."

I was surprised at how often this movie, with so many laughs, moved me close to tears as well. I nearly cried when Peter's mom died, and Rocket's confession of loneliness and pain was surprising -- and surprisingly emotionally affecting.

Luke: "These stories were all written by Bill Mantlo."

And Mantlo, who has been badly injured for years, got not only a screen credit but a private viewing of the movie. Sometimes people are OK.

Rob: "Michael Rooker plays (Yondu) quite differently than I imagined him in the book, a mercenary space-redneck rather than the noble archer of the comic."

My wife commented: "He's just like Merle, only blue."

Ron: "How did they decide to put a one shot evil monster that got killed in his only appearance in this team? And why do I hear he just says 'I am Groot?' Groot was more vocal than that."

I don't actually recall if Groot was vocal on the inside of that comic, or in any of his Marvel age appearances, but "I am Groot" was the totality of his dialogue in the Abnett & Lanning comics that established this version of the Guardians. Remember, the 1950s monster comics don't "count" in Marvel continuity. This Groot isn't that Groot -- it's just an in-joke. Any time Xemnu, Groot, Zzaxx, Fin Fang Foom and the rest first appeared in the post-1961 Marvel U, that is considered to be their first appearance.

Mark: "I remember Starlord only from the black and white magazines, do they have Ship in the movie?"

No Ship. Star-Lord flies around in The Milano, which I have on good authority is named for Alyssa Milano, who appeared on Who's the Boss? in the 1980s. Apparently young Peter had a crush on her.

Fred: "And now Groot has one-upped every one of those other aliens & monsters of Marvel's late 50s/early 60s weird/suspense/sci fi comics by being a major star in a mega-hit movie.  I imagine him giving a raspberry to Fin Fang Foom."

Actually, Fin Fang Foom got on screen ahead of Groot. There's a Fin Fang Foom movie poster in Times Square in the climactic scene of Captain America: The First Avenger.

Jeff C.: "I loved seeing Cosmo more than once."

I'd love seeing him in the next movie. Incidentally, when he first appeared, my wife blurted out "LAIKA!" Laika, of course, was the first dog in space, launched by the Soviets in the 1950s and star of an eponymous (and realllly sad) graphic novel. Is there any wonder why I love this woman?

Jeff C.: "The Nova Corps was awesome. They were more fleshed out than the Green Lantern Corps was in the GL movie."

I get your point, but I didn't hate Green Lantern as much as everyone else seems to. *shrug* But, yes, I loved that the Nova Corps were essentially regular cops instead of jumped-up superhero wannabes. And, like cops, a lot of them got killed in the line of duty, which drew an "Oh, noooo" from my wife.

Jeff C.: "I loved Yondu and his gang of space rednecks."

I'm not sure I loved them, but I enjoyed them. And I was glad to see the "noble savage" garbage had been dumped, and that Yondu's mohawk fin was actually just a metal implant. Have y'all noticed I don't like mohawks?

Jeff C.: "Howard the Duck? Wow. I can see a much better version in our future."

I read an interview with the director who said there are no plans for HtD, it was just a goof. I was surprised that the CGI Howard was just as bad in 2014 as he was in the '80s, but I guess that was part of the joke. Geez, Rocket is light years away from that technology.

Ron: "Isn't the idea with Drax that he was killed (again) and suffered brain damage when brought back? I know he wasn't that stupid in the original Thanos stories in the 70s."

Good memory. That was a plot point some years back. It doesn't seem to apply in the comics any more, Nor is Drax consumed with the idea of killing Thanos. Nor does he wear purple Spandex any more!

Ron: "So is Yondu going to live over a thousand years or get caught in a time warp or what? Or is he an ancestor of regular Yondu? And why haven't the FF ever met his people? Didn't Yondu come from Alpha Centauri? Or does Reed's hyperdrive go through the Milky Way too fast for him to notice anything?"

This Yondu seems to have little to do with the comic-book Yondu, and I wouldn't worry about it very much. He's pretty D-list, and the director said his presence here -- honestly, the head of the Ravagers could have been named anything, and been just as blue, if here a Kree -- was just a nod to the Guardians' roots.

Ron: "Does Marvel still consider the old group as existing in another dimension? Or have they given it a new name?"

A few years back it was established that the original Guardians don't live in the Earth-616 universe. But they do still exist, because they're getting their own series in October called Guardians 3000.

Fred: "I wonder if they'll find a way to fit either Warlock or Captain Mar-Vell in some future movie involving Thanos."

It certainly seems possible, because the director said that was in fact Warlock's cocoon in The Collector's collection.

Incidentally, did anybody connect The Collector's assistant Carina with Carina Walters? Michael's wife? Yes, that Michael.

Jason: "Thanos looked awesome. I'm glad we got to see more of him. I'm not really sold on the voice though."

Ditto. I expected his voice to sound like rocks grinding together. Instead it was a famous voice (Josh Brolin) that I didn't think was deep enough.

Jason: "Anyone else excited to see a full shot of a Celestial?"

YES! And he looked great!

Also, I loved that they worked Knowhere in there without trying to explain the whole Celestials business. Instead, they finessed it by saying "it's the severed head of a celestial being." Those of us in the know could capitalize Celestial in our heads without ruining the flow of the movie.

Jeff W.: "And Gunn posted on FB that he's already started on GotG 2! As long as he continues to focus on the family dynamic of this bunch, I look forward to the next installment."

The second movie will explore who Star-Lord's father is, and all Gunn would say is that it's not the same as in the comics. So, unless he's lying, no J-Son of Spartax.

Jeff C (and others): "I can't explain how the cassette tape lasted so long, though...haha."

I was accepting unaided survival in space, talking trees and raccoons, magic stones and more. I didn't trip over a long-lived casette tape. Don't believe it could happen? Well, it IS a science-fiction movie!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service