Have you seen it yet? How'd you like it? What were your favorite parts?

(Oh, and even though this is a spoiler thread, it's still really nice if you say a sentence or two before any spoilers, simply because the first line or so of text shows up in the feed. So it'd be good to extend that courtesy, especially in the first week or two of release.)

Views: 1423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just saw it. It was fun!

• The plot was a little hard to follow at times, so I just forgot about it and went along with it.
  • Nice balance between the grim and the heartwarming. Would that they could have done so well with that lousy Superman movie.
  • With this, Star Trek and Avatar, Zoe Saldana is turning into the go-to science fiction babe.
  • I often thing most movies I see could stand to be a half-hour shorter, and I kind of do here. The climactic battle went on a bit too long and got tiresome.
  • That post-credits bit -- really? Really? WOW!

Did better than expected. Likely to hit 300 million.

ClarkKent_DC said:

With this, Star Trek and Avatar, Zoe Saldana is turning into the go-to science fiction babe.

Make that science fiction/horror/comics babe. She recently played the title character in the mini-series version of Rosemary's Baby and was in The Losers.

Now that I've read everyone else's comments, let me add:

• I've never read any Guardians of the Galaxy comics, and I've encountered only some of the characters here and there in an issue or two. I probably enjoyed the movie better because of that; I was completely unconcerned about how it fit with the comics continuity. Also, I didn't care one whit how similar or different any of these characters are to their comics counterparts.
  • That said, I thought Yondu had a big fin on his head. But then, like I often say, comics are comics and movies are movies.
  • Also, I did let out a "wow" when I saw the Celestial.
  • I didn't mind that Gamora didn't understand what "sticks up their butts" means -- why would any of these characters understand any Earth idoms?
  • About that cassette tape ...

Randy Jackson said:

Like I said, I had a few quibbles, but mostly pretty silly ones, like how Starlord's cassette tape lasted for such a very long time and where was he getting AA batteries from.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I've heard the complaint about the batteries a lot, and I just don't get it. He a spaceship, and a mask that lets him survive outer space, at least for a little while. With that kind of technology around, it seems like gerry-rigging some sort of alternative charge for a walkman is a pretty simple trick.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

And I remember that very thought entering my head about the batteries--but then I just figured he found an even better power source out there in space that he could just adjust to fit into the battery casing. (I can't explain how the cassette tape lasted so long, though...haha.)

Ron M. said:

I had a cassette about forty years old that broke when I tried to play it. I think that's one of the things you're just supposed to ignore, like Mighty Samson finding a supermarket and passing out the cans of food he found inside to hungry people. Since civilization had been destroyed before he was born eating cans that old probably killed everybody.

I believe playing a cassette about 10,000 times will leave it completely blank.

Captain Comics said:

Jeff C (and others): "I can't explain how the cassette tape lasted so long, though...haha."

I was accepting unaided survival in space, talking trees and raccoons, magic stones and more. I didn't trip over a long-lived casette tape. Don't believe it could happen? Well, it IS a science-fiction movie!

... sometimes, that 11th impossible thing is too much to swallow.   photo biggrin.gif

ClarkKent_DC said:

I've never read any Guardians of the Galaxy comics, and I've encountered only some of the characters here and there in an issue or two. I probably enjoyed the movie better because of that; I was completely unconcerned about how it fit with the comics continuity.

The only exposure to the Guardians of the Galaxy I ever had was to the Marvel Superheroes #18 debut of their predecessors. I think not knowing anything about the characters helped me to enjoy it also. I loved ALL the characters, even Yondu. I didn't know what a Celestial was, so my "wow" was less than yours, but still a wow. As I said before, Thanos was the wow for me. I was very impressed by Chris Pratt in his first lead role.

Also ...

Fred W. Hill said:

What's funny now is that not only is the dystopian near future of the 1990s as imagined in the 1970s now by necessity part of a parallel past, so are those very stories of the 1970s.  After all, Vance Astro can't have gone from the 3010s to the 1970s to tell the Defenders how as a young man in 1988 he left Earth to travel to a distant planet when according to the present time-line the Defenders didn't form untll sometime after 2000.  But then is Vance Astro still a kid due forever to go to the stars about 15 years in the future?  Or will there ever be a story set in a modern Marvel story in which Vance Astro embarks on that 1000 year long journey?  And although Vance was a big fan of Captain America, apparently he didn't keep up on the exploits of the Fantastic Four, otherwise he would have known that they had already traveled to a distant inhabited planet and back in record time twice by 1965.

Randy Jackson said:

To steal a line, "my head hurts".

My head hurts, too.    photo microwave.gif

I keep trying to post but can't. Is it the site or my computer?

Maybe it's your browser. I'm using Firefox.

Maybe. My previous reply is still trying to post.  

I've been using Firefox for some time and recently it's been not responding and/or freezing up a lot. I've actually had to kill Firefox in the Task Manager and sign back in to everything a couple of times. I think they are fixing the problem with the next update. We'll see.

Internet Explorer acts up once in awhile but it eventually works. I'm not familiar with any of the others and IE has gotten me through five and a half years so unless something serious happens I'll stay with it, even though I keep reading it has a lot of vulnerabilites it has to keep patching.

They all have vulnerabilities and they all update constantly.

Ron M. said:

Internet Explorer acts up once in awhile but it eventually works. I'm not familiar with any of the others and IE has gotten me through five and a half years so unless something serious happens I'll stay with it, even though I keep reading it has a lot of vulnerabilites it has to keep patching.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service