A simple question really. How many episodes will you typically give a show, before you bail out. I will typically give a show 1 or 2 episodes and that is it. Which has led me to not watch shows that my friends are surprised I don't watch because I didn't like the 1 or 2 episodes I watched. Like: 30 Rock, Big Bang Theory, and Family Guy to name a few.

The reason I ask is that there is a guy on the radio who will watch shows seemingly forever that he says he doesn't enjoy. He has watched 3 seasons of Mad Men, doesn't like it, but keeps watching it because it gets such rave reviews. That just seems insane to me.

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Anyone else think that No Ordinary Family just doesn't seem to have the hook required to make it a must watch?"

It's come up elsewhere--Facebook included--that several Legionnaires aren't thrilled with NOF. Thing* is, I'm not one of them. I'm loving the show. It has a great cast portraying a family that I can believe IS a family and their reactions to their powers rings as realistic. The one character I have problem believing in is Romany Malco's George. I think Malco is a terrific actor and George is funny but that's the problem. He's a little bit too much comic relief, especially for someone working in the DA's office. He had a GREAT moment last week when he read a cop the riot act for racially profiling. That being said, he's the exception. Chiklis and Benz are wonderful as the parents and I look forward to seeing more of Kay Panabaker and Jimmy Bennett (the kids). I'm very, VERY much looking forward to finding out just what Dr. King (Stephen Collins) is up to, too.

*No pun intended.
I haven't watched a single episode of NOF that left me feeling like "OK, that's enough of that" ... but there are 4 episodes backed up on my DVR. The last six weeks or so have been very hectic, but I have managed to keep up on some of the shows I watch. This isn't one of them. I guess that says something.
Yeah, I dumped it from the DVR after last week's episode. Not that last week's was particularly worse than any of the others, but it just demonstrated that it had no interest in getting better, either. As I said on Facebook, a concept like this can serve to take aspects of our pedestrian lives and show how they can be fantastic; instead, what this show does is takes the fantastic and somehow makes it seem pedestrian.

That and, it takes mostly two-dimensional characters and tries to put them in dramatic situations, which just...doesn't work without a bit of depth to them. Back when it started, I felt the show didn't know what it wanted to be, and six or so episodes in, I don't think that's changed. It wants to be a light-hearted action show AND a family drama, but the character types needed for the former just don't sit right with the story needs of the latter.
Yeah, I dumped it from the DVR after last week's episode. Not that last week's was particularly worse than any of the others, but it just demonstrated that it had no interest in getting better, either. As I said on Facebook, a concept like this can serve to take aspects of our pedestrian lives and show how they can be fantastic; instead, what this show does is takes the fantastic and somehow makes it seem pedestrian.

That's the way we felt about Hawaii Five-O. We love the cast. We enjoy the location. We just wish the writing was better. There's at least one significant plot hole or poorly devised scene per episode. There's also at least one really great scene per episode, but it just wasn't balancing out in our opinion. Too many other better shows to watch.

Back to the original question, I give a show one episode (same as a comic book). If it doesn't grab me, I'm moving on. But that's not a hard and fast rule. Sometimes a show will show promise in that first episode but be unable to build on it. So I've also dropped shows after several episodes if they're not holding up or not getting better. For example, I think I lasted 3 episodes with V.
I think it's a lot easier to spot a bad show than a mediocre one. And it's even harder to trim the mediocre ones after you've been watching them for a while.

I think I could probably cut Desperate Housewives, Eureka, and the Office from our rotation... but inertia keeps us coming back (and in the cases of DH & Eureka, build a backlog on the tivo) until they die their natural death.

Getting to the question at hand, is it that hook that brings you back? Does it matter whether it's a drama or a comedy? Is there some other unknown quantity that makes you say, "yeah, I'm really digging this" or "no, just not doing it for me"?

Sometimes I can pin-point why I dislike a show. Take Family Guy for instance. Yes, it has some funny jokes, but it has what I call machine gun comedy. It is firing so many jokes at you a second, that sure there are going to be some hits, but there are a lot more misses (for me). Sometimes I don't like a show, and it just isn't anything specific it just doesn't work for me, like Big Bang Theory, or CSI. I will give a little more leeway to a drama than I will a comedy. If I don't think what you are laying on me the first time is funny, then chances are it won't the next time either. There are exceptions of course, the Office did grow on me, as I was too lazy to change the channel all of those years ago.

Then of course there are shows that I get my fill of over the course of a season or two, and while I don't dislike them, I also don't feel the need to continue watching them. Like the first season of 24 was enough for me, I never felt the need to watch and episode again.

I really wish they had gone a different direction with 24. There was talk while the first season was going on that the next season would take place somewhere else, and be the longest day in someone else's life. We'd have one Jack Bauer story, then maybe one story about a doctor in an ER, and then one about a cop or a lawyer, etc.
Rob Staeger said:
I really wish they had gone a different direction with 24. There was talk while the first season was going on that the next season would take place somewhere else, and be the longest day in someone else's life. We'd have one Jack Bauer story, then maybe one story about a doctor in an ER, and then one about a cop or a lawyer, etc.

Wow, that sounds like an excellent idea.

ClarkKent_DC said:
Rob Staeger said:

Wow, that sounds like an excellent idea.

What Clark said
Yeah, I was really psyched for the possibility. But when the show turned out to be such a hit, I can see why the network wouldn't want to launch what would essentially be a new series under the same brand. When you've got an established winner, you stick with it.

Maybe if it were a mid-size hit, they would have taken the riskier approach.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service