As we've discussed new Number Ones HERE and HERE, I've begun to notice that LGBTQ characters have become so commonplace they're hardly worth mention (because we're not mentioning them). I mean, when Batgirl got a trans roommate and lesbian character Batwoman got her own title, that was NEWS! But now that doesn't appear to be the case any more. Marvel's Angela has her own title, and nobody's even bothered to mention that she co-stars with her female lover. (Has she always been gay? I've never read about her before.)

I'm thinking of writing a column about this. I will if the evidence supports my anecdotal observation. So help me out, Legionnaires -- how many LGBTQ characters of recent vintage can you remember? Or  tolder characters who have recently been revealed to be gay -- I'm not picky.

I've got a few of my own I want to mention, but first I want to hear from you folks. Sound off!

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, and Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman are all bi -- either hinted at strongly and gleefully (Harley and Ivy) or shown in canon (a recent issue of Catwoman, from what I understand).

I can probably Google it. Thanks, Rob!

I found the Hercules reference mentioned above, but it was as while back, and 1) was played as a joke at the time, and B) is apparently going to be denied in the new series.

Asexual and genderfluid are new-ish for comics, so that's good info.(I hadn't even heard of genderfluid until recently, and then only from people under the age of 25.)

I don't know how Iceman can be gay when he's young and not gay when he's older. My guess would be that he was in the closet, and dating women for show (he didn't get very far with Kitty, did he?), and now that he's outed, he just doesn't date at all. In other words, if adult Iceman is still gay, he's probably a bit self-loathing.

Not knowing the facts, I'd guess the writer was looking at the characters and discovered that Iceman was significantly lousy at dating -- which suggested making him gay. All the rest of them have had sex in one comic book or another (with the opposite sex). Angel, of course, is notorious, but outside of reputation, we know he lived with Candy Sothern in a sexual relationship, and there are probably others I'm not remembering offhand. Cyclops and Marvel Girl have demonstrably had sex with each other, and with other people. Beast has dated -- and obviously had sexual relations with -- Vera and Abigail Brand, and possibly Patsy Walker. (Brand talked about sex with Beast all the time, to his embarrassment.) Only Iceman is potentially a virgin, even to this day.

The other possibility is that the young X-Men are NOT from our past, but from a parallel world.Given that this is comic books, that's actually the more likely explanation!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

The young Iceman in Brian Bendis's All-New X-Men was revealed to be gay -- basically outed to himself by Jean Gray. (Older Iceman doesn't seem to be gay, however, and no, I'm not sure how that works. I still haven't actually read the issue where it happened; I'm probably holding off on the remaining Bendis X-Men until they're all available on Marvel Unlimited.)

At DC, I'd look toward Gail Simone's books, of course -- In The Movement, from what I recall, Virtue is a lesbian, as is Rainmaker (formerly of Gen 13), whom she dated. Tremor, also on the team, is asexual, another underrepresented group. And there was a demon boy named Burden on the team who was gay.

In Secret Six, Catman is bi, Porcelain is genderfluid, Scandal Savage is gay, Knockout (in the previous S6) is bi, and Ragdoll is attracted to anything and everything. I'm probably missing some.

I think Red Sonja is bi now, too -- but often too damn smelly to get laid by either sex.

Just found the Catwoman thing:

http://www.themarysue.com/selina-kyle-is-bisexual/

Article mentions the term "pansexual," which is different from bisexual and genderfluid, but I don't know how. I'm about to get a bad reputation at Google.

Moondragon was established as at least bisexual during Peter David's run on Captain Marvel as she started dating Marlo, Rick Jones' ex-wife.

Moondragon's bisexuality first started to show up while she was in the New Defenders, and was attempting to seduce Cloud, who kept switching from male to female form kind of randomly.  Admittedly, in that instance, it could well have been just Moondragon doing whatever it took to manipulate someone, as opposed to something she did because of her own sexual attractions.

Randy Jackson said:

Moondragon was established as at least bisexual during Peter David's run on Captain Marvel as she started dating Marlo, Rick Jones' ex-wife.

Has anyone mentioned Apollo and Midnighter? I think their relationship may be somewhat unique in that on some level it satirizes the underlying homoerotic aspects of superheroes.

Hmm.  Well, I've seen no mention of Wiccan and Hulkling, so I'm mentioning them.

Of course, there's Julie Power as well.

Loki in his last incarnation was switching genders a bit.

Wasn't it implied that Sersi was bi?

I know I'm forgetting someone...

Yeah, the Iceman thing is really weird. The discrepancy might wind up being explained in the upcoming (and long-delayed for Secret Wars reasons, I think) X-Men 600. It certainly seems like all the All-New X-Men are different people from their older counterparts, just from the new experiences they've all had. So who knows! Another dimension is as good a guess as any!

All of the Young Avengers were non-straight, as mentioned above, as of issue #15. Hulkling, Wiccan, Prodigy and Ms. America were all gay. Kid Loki shifted genders. Marvel Boy was supposed to explore various gender identities as part of his training (he said). I haven't read the whole series, so I'm not sure what was up with the speedster, whose name I don't even know. (Are and he and Wiccan really Wanda's imaginary children, or was that a red herring?) Is that all of them except Hawkeye? And America Chavez implied that she was bi, which was probably a joke but maybe not.

Randy Jackson said:

Hmm.  Well, I've seen no mention of Wiccan and Hulkling, so I'm mentioning them.

Of course, there's Julie Power as well.

Loki in his last incarnation was switching genders a bit.

Wasn't it implied that Sersi was bi?

I know I'm forgetting someone...

There was a hint somewhere that Hercules had a brief relationship with Namor at one time, but Namor refused to talk about it.

The way I remember the New Defenders story was Cloud came onto Moondragon who was uninterested because she was a woman, so Cloud turned into a man, which made Moondragon avoid him/her even more.

Iceman is gay because Lorna Dane dumped him for Havok? Then Hawkeye must be gay because the Black Widow dumped him for Daredevil.

Hercules had a brief fling with Northstar and  had young men as his companions in Greek mythology like Iolaus, Hylas and Philocretes.

Iceman had several female crushes/love interests:

• Zelda in X-Men
  • Darkstar in The Champions
  • Moondragon and Cloud in The Defenders
  • Kitty Pryde in Wolverine & the X-Men

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Jeff of Earth-J said: "First & Last" is evergreen. I'm fine with putting that…"
47 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
""First & Last" is evergreen. I'm fine with putting that off until October if you…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Shaolin Cowboy
"DARK HORSE #1-4 - "Shemp Buffet": As I mentioned above, v54 #7 ended on a cliffhanger in…"
1 hour ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Oh yes, of course. "First & Last". Forgot that. Could we run with Joe Kubert in…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Kubert would be fine with me, but what about "First & Last"? I thought that was gonna…"
1 hour ago
"Have we come up with a subject yet for September? I remember someone suggested a while ago, that we…"
2 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"We watched the first season of <i>Undone</i>, the rotoscoped psychological…"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion Comical Comic Cuts
2 hours ago
"In my humble opinion, an amusement park is another phrase for a funfair."
2 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Giant Little Ones (2018): indie coming-of-age movie with some strong performances (and Kyle…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Spidey seems to spend a lot of time at carnivals"
3 hours ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"This was a good issue, full of folk tales and scary stories. A delightful issue that continues the…"
3 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service