1. How is the Coronavirus situation where you live? What's closed down? Have you gone out much? Are you (Oh, what's the trendy term now " Self-distancing "?) staying inside as a precaution or actually infected or is anyone else you know? I hope, if so, you're well. Let's...well, exchange comments.
  2.   I am now in Portland, Oregon. The Govenor, and then, locally, Portland declared a state of emergency. I saw the comment made that Oregon was the furthest behind on dealing with CV of the 3 West Coast states.
  3.   I went out yesterday ( Sun.), I am ill and had sleep to make up to-day (Mon.) and ended up not going out - I may go out across the street to a all-nite grocery tonite-early Tues. I have not heard of a regular medical appointment Tues. being cancelled.

Views: 3461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In a Christmas letter, one of my cousins in England revealed that she and her husband were infected with COVID-19 way back in March. They recovered, though recently her husband had residual lung issues.

My niece (a front-line nurse) suspected she had COVID last February. Whether she did or not back then, she definitely got it in early December. She's nearly recovered now, and out on maternity leave through May (due in January). The weirdest thing for her was the total lack of her sense of smell. 

Evidently, Tennessee is quite the hot spot. Shelby County, where Memphis and your humble narrator are, had the most infections per capita of anywhere in the world a couple of days ago. We're No. 1!

But life goes on as before. I work from home, and just about the only place I go is the comic shop, which limits the number of customers in the store, requires social distancing and everyone wears masks. (You won't find many anti-science people among comics readers!) My wife, unfortunately, is the PIO at the county health department, and has been working non-stop since this started.

For my part, I rather like working from home, so you'll hear no complaints. I do feel sorry for my wife, though.

Last week, one of tracy's co-workers called from home to let us know his wife tested positive for COVID-19. Their two kids also tested positive, but he himself was negative (at that time). the chances were close to 100% that he would come down with it as well and, sure enough, two days later he came down with a full-blown case. (His kids shrugged it right off.) He had himself tested when his brother-in-law contacted him to say tested positive. They "trusted" their family to isolated from others, and had them over for the holidays. the brother-in-law remained asymtomatic throughout. 

Tracy registered both of us for the vaccine yesterday. It's being offered to the elderly and front line workers first but, in some rural areas, there isn't enough demand to meet supply so, rather than letting it go to waste, they're moving down the list of those who do want it. One way or another, someone is supposed to contact us when our turn comes up in queue. 

I don't get this, but the stupid is even within the ranks of our health-care workers. 

From the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: "FBI Investigating COVID-19 Vaccine 'Tampering' After Aurora Says Employee Intentionally Removed Vials from Fridge, Ruining 500 Doses"

Health care workers in some areas are not exactly having an easy time of it.

(The link was sent to me by a Doctor I know who works in small-community U.S.)

JD DeLuzio said:

Health care workers in some areas are not exactly having an easy time of it.

(The link was sent to me by a Doctor I know who works in small-community U.S.)

The hospital closings in rural areas mentioned in that article really began a few years earlier, in the states that refused to join the Medicare expansion that was offered under the Affordable Care Act.

"Toxic individualism" is an apt way of putting it, since the result is people needing to go farther and farther to get needed care, and treating the providers of that care in such horrid and shabby ways.

"I don't get this, but the stupid is even within the ranks of our health-care workers."

Yesterday I mentioned one of Tracy's co-workers who contracted the virus. Of the two others who work directly with my wife, he was the one I was less concerned about. Her other co-worker... well, never mind. Let's just say he has been less concerned and leave it at that. what gets me is that his wife is a NICU nurse, and neither one of them (!) plan to get the vaccine! This was before their "careful" co-worker contracted it, but I really don't know if that made a difference because I don't know their "reasons" not to get it. (when Tracy found out, she was dumbstruck.) 

"Health care workers in some areas are not exactly having an easy time of it."

Last week I told you about my niece, a front line nurse who thought she might have had it last February, but definitely got it earlier this month. she doesn't know how she got it, but she suspects it was from taking her toddler to the park who interacted with a another (snot-nosed) toddler. She is and has been confident in her hospital's COVID procedures, but she has described how, post-Thanksgiving, they are becoming overrun. Speaking for myself, I'm glad she's now on maternity leave until May. 

"Tracy registered both of us for the vaccine yesterday."

Now certain areas have been overrun with people trying to jump the line on the basis that they have "registered." That's not the way it works.

Tracy's co-worker is still sick as a dog. He's still at home, hasn't seen a doctor. Every time he thinks he's feeling a little better, it comes back with a vengeance.

Tracy and I both got the first dose of the Modurna vaccine today. We registered on December 30, but didn't expect to get called so soon. Our slot was between 9A and 12N. We arrived at 8:30 and there were already at least 100 folks ahead of us, but the line moved quickly. I barely felt mine, no side effects, and was finished by 9:05; Tracy 9:08. I dropped her off at work and came right home. Expect to see another post of this nature on February 5. 

We have a family friend who needs to get a new doctor because the old doctor lost his license for telling people not to use masks..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service