1. How is the Coronavirus situation where you live? What's closed down? Have you gone out much? Are you (Oh, what's the trendy term now " Self-distancing "?) staying inside as a precaution or actually infected or is anyone else you know? I hope, if so, you're well. Let's...well, exchange comments.
  2.   I am now in Portland, Oregon. The Govenor, and then, locally, Portland declared a state of emergency. I saw the comment made that Oregon was the furthest behind on dealing with CV of the 3 West Coast states.
  3.   I went out yesterday ( Sun.), I am ill and had sleep to make up to-day (Mon.) and ended up not going out - I may go out across the street to a all-nite grocery tonite-early Tues. I have not heard of a regular medical appointment Tues. being cancelled.

Views: 6130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The pandemic is over in Texas! (At least everyone is acting as if it is.) We went to the Ft. Worth Arboretum the other day and no one (other than Tracy and myself) was masked, not visitors, not staff. I hope it was because we were outdoors and socially distanced, but I wouldn't swear to that. 

Thanks to Kelvin for all his updates. I'm glad everyone is safe.

I highly recommend KN95 masks, which fit better, are very breathable and have five layers to filter stuff out. I've been ordering them from Amazon and they arrive quickly. Don't use a "gaiter" mask or bandana. They are fine for committing a robbery but not for COVID.

I don't think social distancing works that well with Omicron. It's highly contagious and, like the earlier COVID, is airborne. The unmasked people in the arboretum that were vaccinated will possibly get a little sick. The unvaccinated are taking their lives in their hands.

From TVLine: "Grey's Anatomy, Station 19, The Rookie Among Handful of ABC Series Pausing Production Due to Omicron"

The three shows are based in Los Angeles, and aren't doing it because of any known cases among cast and crew. 

General Hospital also pushed its production back a week.

Also, the Grammys have been postponed, with no new date set.

From Vulture: "2022 Grammys Postponed Due to Omicron Wave"

The son of one of our friends was diagnosed with COVID. Today is his 32nd birthday. He's in Nevada.

The good news is that he had two Pfizer shots, was sent home to quarantine and his current job was already a work-from-home job.  

This week, James Corden and Seth Meyers postponed their shows because they have come down with COVID, Ana Navarro and Whoopi Goldberg of The View got it, and Jimmy Fallon revealed he and his family got it during the Christmas hiatus.

I was able to attend a concert last night: a local band called Jazz Is Led (jazz musicians interpreting Led Zeppelin tunes). The theater required proof of vaccination and masking, so I felt safe. Had a blast, and will be writing a review for All About Jazz.

"(jazz musicians interpreting Led Zeppelin tunes)"

That sound freakin' amazing!

Here they are performing Black Dog on You Tube.

It is amazing! Their first album is coming out in a few weeks.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"(jazz musicians interpreting Led Zeppelin tunes)"

That sound freakin' amazing!

Here they are performing Black Dog on You Tube.

Great!

Brings to mind the very different Dread Zeppelin, who did (do?) reggae covers of Led Zeppelin tunes with an Elvis impersonator on lead vocals. This works far better than one might imagine.

I have three Dread Zeppelin albums: Un-Led-Ed, 5,000,000 and It's Not Unusual (that last of those is disco rather than Led Zeppelin, but still fronted by an Elvis impersonator).

Also of interest is Stairways to Heaven, 12 covers of "Stairway to Heaven" by different artists. I would recommeded it to anyone who likes Dread Zeppelin. The liner notes of Stairways to Heaven mention that Prince recorded a version, but it wasn't included because it was too good for this otherwise campy release. I have been looking for that version ever since (taking time out for meals, of course) but so far no luck.

Sex Mob Does Bond features jazz versions of James Bond themes, and Cocktails at the Cantina is lounge versions of music from Star Wars. I also recommend McLemore Avenue, Booker T. & the M.G.'s version of the Beatles entire Abbey Road album. 

When did this album come out?  I'm curious to see whether it inspired SCTV, or SCTV inspired it.  The SCTV bit is from 1982.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Also of interest is Stairways to Heaven, 12 covers of "Stairway to Heaven" by different artists. I would recommeded it to anyone who likes Dread Zeppelin. The liner notes of Stairways to Heaven mention that Prince recorded a version, but it wasn't included because it was too good for this otherwise campy release. I have been looking for that version ever since (taking time out for meals, of course) but so far no luck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I wasn't much of a fan of Steve Ditko in my early years, but I really liked that cover. I saw…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"That's a goody, but I like the first ones better, especially the flexible one."
3 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Nov. 28-Dec. 4, 2022
"Whillikers, Skipper, it's almost as though DC ought to bring their infinite Earths back! I…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Alan M.'s discussion So, What Are You Reading These Days? (besides comics)
"YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED TO LACEY by Amber Ruffin & Lacey Lamar: I recently…"
4 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"This story includes a Superboy robot, but not the usual one(s) created by Kal  ;)"
5 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Possibly the 2nd appearance of a super-robot..."
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"GONE GIRL: Tracy and I both read the book when it was still a bestseller. It was as suspenseful as…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"You can find the entire issue at The Tom Brevoort Experience, Brand Echh: Neutro #1, November 6,…"
6 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"It's part of the essential illogic of super-hero universes.  People being…"
7 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"And he was actually called "Code Name: Assassin" despite never killing…"
7 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Another Golden Age robot and proof that Stripesy MUST have had some level of super-strength! "
7 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"You can find the entire issue at  The Tom Brevoort Experience, Brand Echh: Neutro #1, November…"
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service