1. How is the Coronavirus situation where you live? What's closed down? Have you gone out much? Are you (Oh, what's the trendy term now " Self-distancing "?) staying inside as a precaution or actually infected or is anyone else you know? I hope, if so, you're well. Let's...well, exchange comments.
  2.   I am now in Portland, Oregon. The Govenor, and then, locally, Portland declared a state of emergency. I saw the comment made that Oregon was the furthest behind on dealing with CV of the 3 West Coast states.
  3.   I went out yesterday ( Sun.), I am ill and had sleep to make up to-day (Mon.) and ended up not going out - I may go out across the street to a all-nite grocery tonite-early Tues. I have not heard of a regular medical appointment Tues. being cancelled.

Views: 5802

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The mother of the bride in that wedding we went to last month has come down with COVID. We're told it's not too bad, although it comes the day before the divorce is final.

Since I knew we were going out of state, I took care of getting a booster. My wife dutifully got an appointment; I called around because I didn't want to wait two to three weeks out to get one. After calling around to CVS and Walgreens, and then Giant and Safeway supermarkets, I found that Safeway takes walk-ins. Unfortunately, the Safeway I called at 4 p.m. had run out that day at 2:30. But I went the next day and got one with no trouble; I barely felt the shot, and had no side effects.

I'm getting my booster on Friday, along with a flu shot. Kathy'll be getting hers next Wednesday.

In the meantime, we've been curling again. You have to be vaxxed to be in the club, and there's rarely more than the 16 people needed to play two games there, and sometimes not even that. But when we are there, and on the ice, there's a fair amount of heavy respiration going on. But we've got a contact tracing system in place, and so far things seem to be going well. At the only other club we've been at, in Maryland, it was also all vaxxed to be inside, and people had to be masked if they weren't actively eating or drinking, including on the ice. Curling in a mask is tough -- especially if you wear glasses and they fog up! For a couple of the games, I just left my glasses on a bench, figuring it was better to have a blurriness I could depend on than a chance of completely obscured vision. 

I haven't tried these solutions*, but this site gives a range of options for avoiding fogged-up glasses.

Keep Your Glasses Fog-Free While Masking – Cleveland Clinic

*I'm lucky enough to only need glasses for reading close-up and far away (street signs). My driver's license doesn't require me to wear them.

My county (Los Angeles) has continued to have a masking indoors requirement. California just made it a statewide requirement through January 15 due to increased infections.

We just got back from our first post-pandemic pandemic era trip to the movie theater (No Time to Die).

We managed one fairly normal wedding (a niece, a month ago now), one trip across the U.S. border to see friend in Detroit, and one home visit (another niece and her fiance, to decorate the tree).

Glad we got those in. Things have turned, and we have some people at work (fortunately, I was not a close contact of them) quarantining now.

Omicron sounded mild at first because it was first identified in a college community, with younger people. Now it is beginning to take off. A lot easier to catch and a lot easier to infect others. And Delta hasn't gone anywhere. An unmasked, un-vaxxed person will have to dodge both, plus the flu.

Even vaccinated you can get sick, just not really sick, and not dead. 

I've been enjoying the new movies as they become available for streaming or on DVD. If I want to back up and see or hear something I missed, I can. It would be nice to see the Spider-Man and Bond movies without having to wait, but I can be patient. The movie won't have changed.

Richard Willis said:

It would be nice to see the Spider-Man and Bond movies without having to wait, but I can be patient. The movie won't have changed.

Someone needed to explain that to George Lucas.

From time to time, I serve as a proctor at local universities during exam time. It's easy money, but rather boring, watching a room full of students type for three hours. I didn't do it last year at all because, y'know, COVID, but I got the call this year. 

On Wednesday, when I checked in, we proctors were told not to begin distributing the exams right away because someone from the dean's office would come to each exam room and make an announcement.

The announcement was that earlier in the day, the university decided to limit in-person activities on campus, and have all students take their exams virtually, beginning Friday. As for the people hearing the announcement, they were being given the options to just go ahead and take the exam now, go home (or to a place of their choice) and take it online two hours later with other people who would all sign in at that hour, or go home (or to a place of their choice) and take it online at a time of their choosing.

Everyone in the room just went ahead and took the exam right then. After all, they were already there. 

The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., has begun to have concerts and plays again, but there was a huge setback: The touring version of Ain't Too Proud to Beg was scheduled for December into January, but people in the cast were found to have COVID, so they've canceled 15 shows. They can't just tack them on to the end of the engagement because the show is locked in to dates on the next stop on the tour.

Also, earlier this week, the Broadway production of Ain't Too Proud to Beg canceled a show because a cast member had COVID. In both cases, all the actors were fully vaccinated.

My wife and I bought tickets two months ago, but it's on a date that wasn't canceled. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Also for the 13th, a scary pre-Code issue"
10 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Phillip: For what it's worth I got the joke but were the Tell A Tale books akin to the Big…"
18 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I know that this isn't a comic but I had to add it. Had to, I say!"
58 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"The Mon ster Association"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Second-guessing myself a bit, here:  Should hero "organizations"  that…"
4 hours ago
"Also added the Hero League from Precarious Woman Executive Miss Black General and…"
4 hours ago
"Will add."
4 hours ago
"You didn't see the Freshmen bcause I'd never heard of them, but I will add them. As…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Recombatants"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Infinity Watch"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
4 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"For the 13th"
4 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service