Is there a song that's running through your head right now that you just think is the bees knees? Shivers your timbers? Rocks your socks off? Well, this is the thread to shout about it, scream about it, tell everyone about it.

Right now, for me, it's Nrrd Grrl by mc chris. So cute, so listenable...I want to marry this song!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlaJ4zPbSI&feature=related

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a jazz standard by Dave Frishberg, "My Attorney Bernie", that's I'm rather fond of. Being a jazz standard, there are several versions, mostly heavy on the piano, and played with a light samba beat and a lot of exuberance by the singer.

I ran across a snippet of a version by Blossom Dearie that was a little different -- kind of melancholy, which seemed a bit out of place for her and for the song. Blossom Dearie we might know best from the two pieces she did for Schoolhouse Rock when we were kids, "Figure Eight" and "Unpack Your Adjectives". But, I have belatedly learned, she had a long career as a jazz pianist and chanteuse. Unfortunately, she passed on last year at 82.

I've been listening to a lot of her stuff over the past couple of days, and she is phenomenal! That high, little girlish voice works wonders with stuff that is wistful and plaintive, or peppy and playful. Just take a listen to this beauty, "I'm Hip".
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHF558u6Q_8

This one will stay in your head all day. Possibly the strangest group to record in Memphis -- and the ones with the most profound lyrics, of course.
I love that song. I haven't heard it in years. My aunt would play it for my brother and I. We would dance around like crazy people every time we heard it. We were probably 5 or 6 at the time.

George said:

This one will stay in your head all day. Possibly the strangest group to record in Memphis -- and the ones with the most profound lyrics, of course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtd8ArvH_s

I love this song so much I:

A. Spent a buck on it to play it on an Applebee's jukebox.
B. Opened an iTunes account so I could download the album.
C. Have tweeted about playing the song in-store, multiple times, breaking my "Post about each song only once" rule.
D. Am letting it play in the background while I type this.
E. Pulled the song up on YouTube during a D&D game while the DM was getting his kids to sleep.
F. Answer the question asked by the song with a "No."

The whole album is really good, BTW.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

George said:

I can never hear that song w/o thinking of Full Metal Jacket
Listening to it now. It is good. Cool video, too.

Dagwan said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRtd8ArvH_s

I love this song so much I:

A. Spent a buck on it to play it on an Applebee's jukebox.
B. Opened an iTunes account so I could download the album.
C. Have tweeted about playing the song in-store, multiple times, breaking my "Post about each song only once" rule.
D. Am letting it play in the background while I type this.
E. Pulled the song up on YouTube during a D&D game while the DM was getting his kids to sleep.
F. Answer the question asked by the song with a "No."

The whole album is really good, BTW.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

"Black Sheep" by The Clash at Demonhead (aka Metric) from the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack
I have always loved Steely Dan. Here is one of my favorite tracks from them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylr2D4Pwn58
Lemme add a couple:

Roadrunner - Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Just a great rock song (although I kinda prefer the version by the Jazz Butcher Conspiracy)

Thirteen - Big Star - Sweet. Just sweet.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTR0M14ojVI&feature=related

This one stayed in my head a long time after I saw Tarantino's sequence of "Grindhouse." Shades of the girl-group sound of the early '60s.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BypglpDrLSs

A clip of this in the movie "The Dreamers" made me want to hear the whole song. This goes back to 1956, to the movie "The Girl Can't Help It." They don't record slow dancing songs like this anymore.
My latest obsession:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjdkc14-zwQ

This song should be getting airplay on every Modern Rock AND Country station in the world, IMHO. The rest of the album is good, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service