...and this review reminds me why...

http://www.the-isb.com/?p=2151

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark S. Ogilvie said:
Some people on the cbr forum are labeling the latest issue as a Woman In Refrigerators moment.

Mark
More like "Five-year-old girl in Refrigerators"

barf

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

Dagwan said:
Mark S. Ogilvie said:
Some people on the cbr forum are labeling the latest issue as a Woman In Refrigerators moment.

Mark
More like "Five-year-old girl in Refrigerators"

barf

I wonder if someone will come up with a "Minorities in Refrigerators" list? This series also killed off a black super-hero as well as one of the DCU's few gay super-heroes.
I think how the death is written is more important then the "death" itself.
Doc Beechler said:
I think how the death is written is more important then the "death" itself.

Agreed. And everything about this series was poorly written.
I picked up the last few issues of this series (silly me, I know). One question: We're shown throughout that Promethian cheats prepares, that he has a defense or a counter for every hero and his or her power.

But he has no defense against an arrow?
In his first appearance, he was taken out by Catwoman and her whip simply because he didn't expect it.
Yeah, no defense against an arrow. Right. And an archer -- although a really good archer -- discovers the other-dimensional hideout that Green Lantern's ring can't find.

Also, Prometheus seems to fear Hawkman, because Beaky's berserker rage makes him "unpredictable." Right. Because you can't just shoot him. Because losing your temper and getting sloppy makes you a better fighter. Oh, wait, getting sloppy makes you a WORSE fighter, and really predictable even WITHOUT a flippin' super-combat-computer in your helmet, which our villain happens to have. And you CAN just shoot Hawkman, because he's just a big, half-naked guy with wings which he can't use because you're indoors. And since you just beat a magic guy and a guy with a magic ring, a big, half-naked guy just really isn't much of a threat, even if he is "unpredictable." Jeepers, Mr. Super-Combat-Guy, here's an idea: Just pull out a gun and shoot him. I predict he will fall down and bleed.

Oh, and the cover of issue 5 has whatever the Freddy Freeman super-character is named this week kissing Supergirl. Neither that scene, nor anything like it, appears in the story. In fact, she uncovers Freddy as Prometheus in that story. Not exactly the sort of "reveal" the cover promised.

Prometheus is almost beaten by Shade because he doesn't know who he is ... but his bombs, which he made before he met Shade, are designed to negate Shade's powers. Wow, he really IS good. [/sarcasm]

I could go in this vein, but this book is so horrible, it would take me all week to list all the incongruities, errors and outright bullsh*t that occurs within its pages.

And, to tell you the truth, I tuned out sometime in the first issue because I didn't believe a word of it. In that issue, Green Lantern quits the Justice League, and Black Canary decides to dissolve the remainder of the team because ... uh, well, there was something really good on TV or something. (Yes, Black Canary, so wimpy in other depictions that ... uh, what? She's tough as nails? Gee, I guess she really wanted to get to her TiVo.)

And Green Lantern runs off vowing to torture and kill villains because that's "justice" (sorry, Hal, that's "revenge," get a dictionary), which is SO in character for an erratic guy like ... what? He's a space cop? And subservient to an hierarchy and used to following rules? And his ring would very likely shut off if he indulged in torture, because that's been a plot point in previous Sinestro stories? Oops.

Then there's Green Arrow following meekly behind, because he also really likes torture and is so spineless that ... uh, what? He's been a bleeding-heart liberal for more than 30 years? And is so passionate about his ideals that he has at times made himself persona non grata with the entire League? That his vehement disagreements with this exact same Hal Jordan was the basis for a famous comic-book series that is still remembered today? That the character we've known since 1970 wouldn't go along with this, nor would he allow Hal to do this, without one helluva fight? No, sorry, not in THIS comic book, where he has no opinions and is just Hal's toady. He's Green Arrow from Earth-Wimpy.

Not to mention that Ray "Atom" Palmer, who over in Blackest Night is such a great guy that the indigo ring -- you know, COMPASSION -- is in this book the head torturer. Um, WHAT??!?

This book is so awful that, as I said, I started tuning it out right away. I only remembered the errors above because they were so bad they jumped out and bit me even though I've been skimming the subsequent issues (I get them for free or I wouldn't be reading them at all). All I want is for it to be over, and it's even irritated me on that score, by being delayed time and again. Justice League of America is carrying on for two months as if the series is over and we all know what terrible thing happened to Green Arrow ... which hasn't happened yet. (His book is scheduled to end soon, and then there's a one-shot, then the Arsenal mini ... I imagine we'll finally know all the details when it no longer matters.)

Anyway, it was obvious by page five of the first issue that I would be assigning this book Mopee status, and hope that it was never referred to again. But I have this terrible fear that this book was specifically designed to appeal to the birther/Tea Party/Dick Cheney/Glenn Beck crowd. I would hate for that to be true, but ... well, there is money to be made there, as Fox News's ratings show. My entire industry has shifted right in search of those dollars, so is this DC's attempt to do the same? I hope not. Geez, can't we escape politics anywhere?
Cap: "...Black Canary decides to dissolve the remainder of the team because ... uh, well, there was something really good on TV or something."

I wouldn't be surprised if the thinking at DC was something along the lines of, "Hey, having the heroes suddenly break up the team for no readily apparent good reason worked for Marvel with 'Avengers Disassembled' and look how well the Avengers titles have sold since then. Maybe we can do the same thing with the Justice League book."
Cavalier said:
Cap: "...Black Canary decides to dissolve the remainder of the team because ... uh, well, there was something really good on TV or something."

I wouldn't be surprised if the thinking at DC was something along the lines of, "Hey, having the heroes suddenly break up the team for no readily apparent good reason worked for Marvel with 'Avengers Disassembled' and look how well the Avengers titles have sold since then. Maybe we can do the same thing with the Justice League book."

At least we could blame Wanda's magic for most of Disassembled.
Captain Comics said:
Yeah, no defense against an arrow. Right. And an archer -- although a really good archer -- discovers the other-dimensional hideout that Green Lantern's ring can't find.

This was actually the only part of the issue that I did like. Kinda. It could've been sold better, though - just have Prometheus walk in, with an "Ah, home at last, I can finally relax, take my shoes off, remove the helmet that is the source of most of my great powers and abilities and... what was that ''whoosh' sound I just heard?" THUNK.
suedenim said:

This was actually the only part of the issue that I did like. Kinda. It could've been sold better, though - just have Prometheus walk in, with an "Ah, home at last, I can finally relax, take my shoes off, remove the helmet that is the source of most of my great powers and abilities and... what was that ''whoosh' sound I just heard?" THUNK.

But then we'd have lost that totally cool "Justice!" exclamation. :P
Doc Beechler said:
Cavalier said:

At least we could blame Wanda's magic for most of Disassembled.

Before we got to Dinah dissolving the Justice League, I couldn't get past: Hal quits the League and Ollie goes with him. Ollie chose his best friend over his wife? That's bang head material for hours on end.

I'm not reading Green Arrow and Black Canary, so I'll ask: Did the marriage survive that?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service