Replies

• I'm not reading it because I've never heard of it.
  • I'm not reading it, either, but that doesn't sound like James Robinson.

Would anyone on this board who is reading it care to offer an opinion?

(Is there anyone on this board reading it?)
  • I'm so glad that the online previews convinced me to not even buy issue one. It's a bad sign when your comic has become an industry joke after the first issue (check out other boards where posters will randomly post "Justice!" to see what I mean).
  • I think DC may have been aiming to be controversial with this series (in the vein of, say, Civil War) and instead they have a massive dud on their hands. It's a laughingstock.

Had I gone into a comic shop on the day issue one was released, I probably would have picked this up. The near universal panning across the internet the day after release killed my interest in paying to read it. I have to say, though, when it inevitably hits the bargain bins, I may pick it up out of sheer morbid curiosity.
  • I was coming here today to post on exactly this topic. This book is flat out terrible. Not just the torture (which is horrifically out of character), but in utterly inept and amateurish writing. Robinson didn't phone it in; he scribbled it on a napkin at a bar and told his editor "here you go."
  • Maybe the "cry for" in the title means "weep in sympathy for" rather than "call out loudly for", and we're meant to pity what's being done in the name of "justice"?
  • Alan M. said:
    Maybe the "cry for" in the title means "weep in sympathy for" rather than "call out loudly for", and we're meant to pity what's being done in the name of "justice"?

It goes beyond that. All the characters are written horribly. SPOILERS BELOW

The capture Prometheus and torture him, and the heroes keep commenting on how Prometheus is a "D-lister." Their captive broke ridiculously quickly, and starts spilling his guts, prompting more contempt from the heroes about his quality as a villain. He keeps, however, referring to himself in the third person throughout his monologue. At the end of the interrogation, it turns out that the captive is really a coerced Clayface.

It was absurd. From the moment "Prometheus" screamed "for God's sake, I'll talk!" it was obvious it wasn't the real deal, and it was made even more obvious with every piece of the exchange. Yet the heroes were completely oblivious to the possibility, even though they expressed annoyance at him speaking in the third person.

Later, the REAL Prometheus monologues to fellow villain I.Q. who is doing work for him. They sit there drinking wine togther, and it eventually turns out that Prometheus poisoned I.Q., reducing him to the intellect of an infant.

I.Q.

Purportedly one of the smartest villains out there.

He had no inkling that he might be betrayed?

Really?

Add that to the fact I've always disliked Prometheus as a villain, and this has become the worst book of the year so far.
  • So, "Justice!" isn't good, either?
  • It's astonishing how psyched I was for this before it came out... and how completely the original 5-page preview in the back of the DC books turned me against it. Every bit of it I've seen (except one: a clever exchange between Mikaal and Congroilla) has turned me off it even further.

With that torture scene, it to the point where my interest in the subsequent Robinson/Bagley run is also waning. I'm just too wary right now, despite how great that sounds in theory.
  • This reminds me of Alan Moore's writing on the WildCATS/Spawn crossover book. I got the impression that Moore was intentionally "writing down" to what he felt was the level of the readers of a book like that. I feel Robinson is writing down too.

This book is much, much worse though.
This reply was deleted.