Here's interesting news from The Hollywood Reporter

"‘Harder They Fall’ Filmmaker Jeymes Samuel Tackling Boom! Comic Books ‘Irredeemable,’ ‘Incorruptible’ for Netflix (Exclusive)"

I loved both of those series, but I think the movie world right now needs a positive story about a villain going good to offset the deconstructionist takes on good guys not just with feet of clay, but with rot in their souls. 

(Yes, I do mean the Snyderverse.)

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Interesting. Why does my cynical mind think this was greenlit because of the success of Invincible? 

• It could just as well have been greenlit because of the success of The Harder They Fall; it's a critic's darling

• Irredeemable and Incorruptible are IMO a good choice to adapt to streaming TV.  They exist in a very appealling space of the intellectual properties ecosystem.  One that avoids many of the most troubling pitfalls of the exercise.

They are known quantities in that both stories have been told and resolved about a decade ago, allowing for confortable adaptation and planning in advance.  They are relatable without being overexposed.  They do not run overlong and do not have decades of continuity baggage weighting them down.  Their creator, Mark Waid, is not likely to be difficult to approach nor is he likely to get involved in harmful controversy any time soon.  There are not competing takes on the characters being produced, so the potential for disappointment by the consumers is rather limited.  And with the darkening of everyday politics and expectations in the time since, the overall tone is actually fairly light by comparison, while still allowing for conveniently wide ranges of characterization and storytelling.

Myself, I think the overall package makes a lot more sense for Netflix than, say, Mark Millar's"Jupiter's Legacy" (which has much heavier characterization and morality) or the Snyder movies (which are both depressing and poor in characterization and tone).

Also, it probably doesn't hurt that The Boys has been succesfully adapted and Homelander and Plutonian are so much alike at first glance.  Nor that Incorruptible can work nicely to address real ethical dilemmas with some nuance and grace while Irredeemable has so many great, well-developed secondary characters that can easily shift the overall tone if so desired.  Just remembering Qubit makes me wonder how come we never had a spin-off spotlighting him.

• I do think that they are interesting stories and worthy of adaptation. I'm more surprised at the timing than anything else. 

• I was interested in these books when they first came out, and I think I read one of them for a few issues, but never got around to reading the whole thing. Looks like I might have to find a collection or two.

I feel like an idiot, ClarkKent_DC, but what's the connection to The Harder They Fall? I don't see it.

And Luis, that was an awesome analysis. You covered every base thoughtfully and thoroughly in a minimum of words. I don't have anything to add, just wanted to let you know I appreciated it.

• I read both series in TPB and thought they were very well done.

• You're much too kind, Captain! Thanks!

• For some reason I keep coming back to wishing that the adaptation elaborates on Kaidan's change of appearance.  I am odd that way.

• Captain Comics said:

I feel like an idiot, ClarkKent_DC, but what's the connection to The Harder They Fall? I don't see it.

The connection to The Harder They Fall is that its director is the proposed director and producer for the Irredemable/Incorruptible adaptation. So yes, one possible aspect is that Netflix saw the successes of The Boys and Invincible and wanted their own nihilistic superhero show ... 

....but to my mind, it could (also) be that The Harder They Fall is a hit and they want that hitmaker working for them, and this is the project he wants to do.

• Ohhhh. I kept looking for a content connection. Turns out I really am an idiot!

This reply was deleted.