I used to work retail so I know some holidays are real and some aren't, as a retail person the real holidays are few and far between. But I think've seen signs on just about every store in the area saying that they'll be open on July 4th. Isn't this holiday worth more than just a sale?

Views: 536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As a society though the lest of an occasion the holiday is in its own right and the more it's just an occasion for a sale the less of the true reason and meaning of the holiday is remembered.  What was more important last Fourth, celebrating the country or finding out that Transformers beat out Spiderman?

Around here what was most important was setting off fireworks, the kind you're not supposed to buy because they shoot up into the air and explode. They must have bought carloads of them because they were still shooting them off last night.

OK. I get what you are saying; but, to respond properly I need more input. What holidays do you celebrate, and why (not trying to be a jerk, just trying to plead my case in the most rational way possible)?

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

As a society though the lest of an occasion the holiday is in its own right and the more it's just an occasion for a sale the less of the true reason and meaning of the holiday is remembered.  What was more important last Fourth, celebrating the country or finding out that Transformers beat out Spiderman?

Interesting comment Ronald, (do you prefer Ron?). In a transient way, buying an illegal product brings the rebellious spirit this country was founded on to the forefront.
Ronald Morgan said:

Around here what was most important was setting off fireworks, the kind you're not supposed to buy because they shoot up into the air and explode. They must have bought carloads of them because they were still shooting them off last night.

I don't like Thanksgiving Day being called Turkey Day, nor do I like the overemphasis on football that day to the exclusion of, you know, giving thanks.

Memorial Day, when we honor the service members who died for our freedom, seems to be just a day to sell cars and mattresses.

None.  I haven't celebrated anything for quite a while now.  I don't see anything to celebrate.  I think about the men who lived and marvel at what they did but celebrating?  I don't see the point anymore.

John DeRubbo said:

OK. I get what you are saying; but, to respond properly I need more input. What holidays do you celebrate, and why (not trying to be a jerk, just trying to plead my case in the most rational way possible)?

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Great point regarding Thanksgiving Day. As I pointed out earlier, this is a symptom of apathy. As with retail sales, I have no problem with football on Thanksgiving Day. BUT, if the true meaning is to be preserved, it has to be made known and emphasized. Not to a Puritanical degree (on Sunday, the Puritans required that you attend services, go home, and do absolutely nothing the rest of the day, in silence for good measure.)

As for Memorial Day, I disagree. I have yet to see Memorial Day pass without seeing evidence that our fallen service members are being honored, as they should be. Could more be done, of course (does anyone live in a town that still has a Memorial Day Parade?) 

You're comment did bring to mind that Veteran's was originally Armistice Day (commemorating the end of WWI) here in the U.S. This seems to me an example of the original meaning having been lost for a greater good (there are no WWI vets left, but, I do remember wondering how they felt about the change, back in the day). 

I don't like Thanksgiving Day being called Turkey Day, nor do I like the overemphasis on football that day to the exclusion of, you know, giving thanks.

Memorial Day, when we honor the service members who died for our freedom, seems to be just a day to sell cars and mattresses.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service