Views: 1797

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not bad. Now, if you wanna see really eye-popping rerstorations for a pilie of Jack Kirby covers (among other things), go visit my blog...

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2011/06/jack-kirbys-f...

Here's his Firestorm and Dr. Fate.

Interesting, thank you. That looks like someone imitating Kirby instead of Jack himself. If you had told me it was Keith Giffen I'd have believed you. I don't recognise the inker.

I'd guess Thibodeaux or Royer, his regular late-stage inkers.

The people who worked with Jack did notice that his pencils lost something as he got older, but the design on the page there is rather spiffy.

And once again, I'm sad that we didn't see more of Jack's Superman back in the 70s.  Stupid, stupid, stupid... The guy here looks great.

Really? Man that Superman looks terrible to me. The whole page just looks off really. Beauty in the eye and all that I guess.

Figserello said:

I'd guess Thibodeaux or Royer, his regular late-stage inkers.

The people who worked with Jack did notice that his pencils lost something as he got older, but the design on the page there is rather spiffy.

And once again, I'm sad that we didn't see more of Jack's Superman back in the 70s.  Stupid, stupid, stupid... The guy here looks great.

Maybe I just love seeing a Kirby-drawn Superman?  Two comic-book legends, together at last!

There's something of the stained-glass window in that page.

Looking around Bully's page, a recent entry shows the results of Daredevil telling Luke Cage to kick Elektra, Matt's one true love, mind, as hard as he can in her ladybits! 

Wow!  Stay Classy, Bendis!

Try Greg Theakston.  At the time, I thought it didn't look bad, but, in recent years, I've seen more and more examples of side-by-side comparisons of pencils vs. inks where you can see that Theakston made MASSIVE changes from what Kirby did, and in every example, the pencils were FAR BETTER!!!  (As in...  "WTF???")

Well, I really like it. It definitely looks like Kirby to me. I think the only problem is the characters are all standing around. Jack didn't like to do people "standing around".

Wandering Sensei: Emeritus said:

Here's his Firestorm and Dr. Fate.

Kirby drew a magnificent Superman. I far prefer his Jimmy Olsen pencils before Murphy Anderson re-did the faces. They may look off-model but not as jarring. I know the curl is in the wrong position but that could have easily been altered instead of swamping it with Anderson ink. Even as an 10/11 year old I could see the difference.

Man, I'm glad they don't do that anymore for the most part. Not sure what's wrong with being stylized.

Could you imagine if someone did that with, say, Mike Mignola? "We like the way you draw everything but faces. We're going to hire Kevin Maguire to do those for you."

Not perfect, but for fun I did a little cut and past job of a compromise between the two.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service