The death of former child actor Jackie Cooper ( not to be confused with the , somewhat less fortunate as an adult and , infamously , ripped off by his parents Jackie Coogan ) inspires me to start a " Celebrity Deaths - That , Um , Don't Have The Most Obvious Connectuions To Our Beloved Genre , As Those Folks Will Tend To Get A Solo Thread , Admittedly..." omnibus thread .

  Directly , Cooper played Perry White in the Salkind/Reeve series of Superman movies , and , as per Wikipedia , about the last thing he did in the directing of episodic TV series that occupied much of his later working years were episodes of the Salkind Superboy series...

  Cooper also starred in the CBS series Hennessy ( Probably the subject of a couple Dell FOUR COLOR COMICS issues anyway , wasn't it ????????? ) , enthused over by our Cmdr. Benson , and another B&W-era series , The People's Choice .

  In pre-TV days movies with ____ ____ made them something of a team

Views: 2472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...ALVIN LEE , leader of the Woodstock I play-ees Ten Years After , died , after a routine surgical procedure . www.alvinlee.com

  To be honest , the Woodstock recording of " I'm Going Home " and " I'd Love To Change The World " ( " tax the rich...till there ain't no rich no more " " freaks and hairies/ d*kes and f*ri*s..." ) is about all- almost -  ever heard of him...Was " IGH " , specifically the " speed-freak guitar solo " in the middle ,an instantly point-toable example what they meant by " Boogie ! " when they yelled it out at early/mid-70s rock concerts ? That WAS before...I was spending my money on funnybooks ! :-)

...I was going to say that , in his fiction , ANDREW GREELEY (Father) didn't write " genre fiction " , unless he was the " creator " ) (ahemph) of his own genre , but , the Grey Lady...........

www.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/us/andrew-m-greeley-outspoken-priest-die...

[ Note: I am about a few extra digits away from a sucessful link , Ye Nod , but the way it went up I would have to restart it all over again , rather than just take off the excessive digits ? YM , could you help , please ? ]

Maybe this will work ???

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...I was going to say that , in his fiction , ANDREW GREELEY (Father) didn't write " genre fiction " , unless he was the " creator " ) (ahemph) of his own genre , but , the Grey Lady...........

www.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/us/andrew-m-greeley-outspoken-priest-die...

[ Note: I am about a few extra digits away from a sucessful link , Ye Nod , but the way it went up I would have to restart it all over again , rather than just take off the excessive digits ? YM , could you help , please ? ]

...JEAN STAPLETON has died .

If I can find a YT clip of her singing " Salzburg (By The Sea) " from BELLS ARE RINGING I'll put it up !!!!!!!!!!!

...SLIM WHITMAN has died .

 I was reminded by the AP obit I saw in HuffPost of his genre connection - by way of Tim Burton !!!!!!!!!!!

...EYDIE GORME , pop singer and all-around performer and frequent TV guest performer during the 60s and 70s ,  who tended to perform live in tandem with here husband Steve Lawrence (who survives her) but , generally , record seperately , has died at 86 .

  I suppose that to those of " Our " rough generation here at this board she (and Steve) might've been seen as a somewhat " square "/old-fashioned ' performer , set against " The Sixties " - and " The Seventies ' after that .I also remeber a long-ago NATIONAL LAMPOON piece making fun of them , though I've forgotten the exact background/setup of it now . They were certainly successful and popular among their audience , anyway .

  My father liked her , saying after playing a record , " Boy , she can really belt 'em " - He wasn't being ironic !!!!!!!!!

...LOU SCHEIMER , formerly of Filmation Studios , a constant SAT-AM presence in the younger years of most here , has passed on...I was , im my mentioned Archies listening before , watching Filmation's visuals to the Archies' songs...

Ah, yes I remember seeing his name alot when I was a kid,

I know the name Slim Whitman only from the late-night ads selling his work in the 1970s. The Teen Cap'n knew nothing about him, but assumed from the images and clips of songs that he was a country singer, and I had no interest in country music. Nevetheless, the name was drilled into me and apparently everyone else my age, as I used the refererence to good effect in some comedy sketches in high school.

Given the time these ads came out, I'm guessing the format for the music they were selling would have been 8-tracks and casette tapes. Good lord I'm old!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...SLIM WHITMAN has died .

 I was reminded by the AP obit I saw in HuffPost of his genre connection - by way of Tim Burton !!!!!!!!!!!



The Baron said:

Ah, yes I remember seeing his name alot when I was a kid,

It was part of the circle on the end credits. When I was a kid they almost always flashed the artist and actors names too quickly, but his name was easy to spot and read.



Captain Comics said:

I know the name Slim Whitman only from the late-night ads selling his work in the 1970s. The Teen Cap'n knew nothing about him, but assumed from the images and clips of songs that he was a country singer, and I had no interest in country music. Nevetheless, the name was drilled into me and apparently everyone else my age, as I used the refererence to good effect in some comedy sketches in high school.

Given the time these ads came out, I'm guessing the format for the music they were selling would have been 8-tracks and casette tapes. Good lord I'm old!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...SLIM WHITMAN has died .

 I was reminded by the AP obit I saw in HuffPost of his genre connection - by way of Tim Burton !!!!!!!!!!!

You're never truly old until you have to explain to someone what an 8 Track Tape was :) Or why phone numbers in old movies were often Klondike-522 or something like that.

I wonder if the next generation will understand newspaper movies and concepts at all. "Mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper? What's that?"

It already weirds me out that the concerns, clothes, slang, customs and hairstyles of 1960s and 1970s -- so familiar to me -- are as ancient and abstruse to my nephews as the 1930s and 1940s are to me.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service