Now that I am completely caught up with Doctor Who, I FINALLY started watching Lost (for the first time, so no “spoilers”!) over the weekend. Three episodes in, I must admit I find myself caught up in the intrigue. It reminds me a bit of Marvel’s Skull the Slayer, but less super-heroey. I’m paying very close attention (or trying to) to all the hints and details. One of the “mysteries” on which I speculated in part one of the pilot has already been resolved in part two, so it’s a moot point.

I expect this is going to be a bit like a 1940s movie serial (but slicker) in that some bits are going to left out only to be revealed later. The hero’s car goes over the cliff at the end of one installment, but we’re not shown him jumping out until the beginning of the next. I’ve already seen that to some extent. For example, Kate is left alone with the US marshal, and shortly thereafter, the other guy shoots him in the chest with the gun Kate was holding. There’s a scene missing!

I like Kate, though. I think I’m supposed to at this point, but I also think I’ve made the right decision. She saved the farmer’s life at the risk of being captured in the flashback, but even more telling, she affixed the oxygen mask to the marshal’s face when he was unconscious.

I do think watching shows on DVD is the way to go. Based on a strong opening season, I watched Heroes for three years only to have it cancelled out from under me with no resolution (rumors of a TV movie to tie up loose ends notwithstanding). What a waste of my time! At least I know going in I won’t have that problem with Lost.

Views: 709

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Speaking of the Beatles (and speaking of Lost), my wife and I went to a free Beatlegras concert over the weekend (Beatles music played by a Bluegrass band). At one point, Tracy checked her blood sugar and it was… 108! We half expected all the lawnchairs and coolers to start flying toward the stage!

We are now far enough into the show that the flashbacks are from season one! I haven’t been offering too many guesses as to what’s going on because, even 2½ seasons in, I’m still learning the ground rules. There are so many wheels-within-wheels concerning the plots of the “Others” that it’s difficult to differentiate between truth and lies. Only occasionally are there scenes in which one or another reveals something under conditions in which one of them is completely unobserved with no possibility of feeding disinformation, in other words, scenes which I accept as “truth.”

I’m afraid Lost has spoiled me for other shows. It’s going to be a tough act to follow. I’m glad I watched Heroes and Dollhouse on my own before I saw Lost, because Lost would have blown ‘em out of the water.

There’s one solution I always try when I find myself in a similar situation which I have yet to see any one of the castaways employ. I wonder what would happen if one of them were to shout, “Holodeck off!”?
How did the Holodeck know when they really meant it? What if someone asked "How do you turn the Holodeck off?"

Anyway, I agree that LOST 'spoiled' me for other shows. I can appreciate other shows, of course, but a program like Heroes did seem to pale in comparison to LOST...

I loved the fact that it was difficult to know when to trust information that we received. I felt that created a sense that everything I knew could be wrong at any moment, which I loved.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Speaking of the Beatles (and speaking of Lost), my wife and I went to a free Beatlegras concert over the weekend (Beatles music played by a Bluegrass band). At one point, Tracy checked her blood sugar and it was… 108! We half expected all the lawnchairs and coolers to start flying toward the stage!

We are now far enough into the show that the flashbacks are from season one! I haven’t been offering too many guesses as to what’s going on because, even 2½ seasons in, I’m still learning the ground rules. There are so many wheels-within-wheels concerning the plots of the “Others” that it’s difficult to differentiate between truth and lies. Only occasionally are there scenes in which one or another reveals something under conditions in which one of them is completely unobserved with no possibility of feeding disinformation, in other words, scenes which I accept as “truth.”

I’m afraid Lost has spoiled me for other shows. It’s going to be a tough act to follow. I’m glad I watched Heroes and Dollhouse on my own before I saw Lost, because Lost would have blown ‘em out of the water.

There’s one solution I always try when I find myself in a similar situation which I have yet to see any one of the castaways employ. I wonder what would happen if one of them were to shout, “Holodeck off!”?
There are so many wheels-within-wheels concerning the plots of the “Others” that it’s difficult to differentiate between truth and lies.

Q: How can you tell when Ben is lying?

A: His lips are moving.
Doctor Hmmm? said:
There are so many wheels-within-wheels concerning the plots of the “Others” that it’s difficult to differentiate between truth and lies.

Q: How can you tell when Ben is lying?

A: His lips are moving.

Q: What lies in the shadow of the statue?

A: Ben Linus' mouth.
Um... "statue"?
Nothing to see here. Move along.
We went to B&N to buy the new Doctor Who releases and ended up taking advantage of the offer to "Buy the Sixth Season of Lost and get any other season for $9.99."

Tracy and I have been commenting on what cool soundtrack CDs Lost must have. We were excited to discover that soundtracks exist for each season, but disappointed that they contained only the instrumental music composed for the show. I also confirmed that "Geronimo Jones" is fictional as I had assumed, but our vinyl record store is so well-stocked I bet they woulod have had it if not. Hell, they're so well-stocked they might have it anyway!

Regarding the "wheels witjhing wheels," I was pretty well convinced that Juliette might have been telling the truth, but then, in the episode we watched last night, the flashback revealed the whole "left behind" ploy was cooked up in advance between her and Ben. I can't say I was really surprised, but it's an interesting twist nonetheless. Usually, when anything can happen I lose interest in what does, but that is not the case with Lost. I have pretty much given up trying to predict what's going to happen next, however.
I had a theory that Juliette was the one who ordered Michael to kill Ana Lucia since Ben was locked up. There were a couple of reasons for this. One is that Sawyer saw something hard in Juliette, another was Ana's closeness to Jack and what Ana Lucia did after the crash. It was never addressed but it was something that stayed in the back of my mind.

But then Juliette was manipulated by the Island's master manipulator and learned from him. She played at Jack's and the others' emotions. She knows their pasts and secrets. She is an Other but she doesn't want to be. The third season shows a woman torn between two factions and her desire to be free from it all. That Elizabeth Mitchell never got an Emmy or even a nomination for her work is a shame!
Elizabeth Mitchell has the most attractive nose on TV.
You've got an eye for noses?
PowerBook Pete said:
Elizabeth Mitchell has the most attractive nose on TV.

Yes indeed. I sat through quite a few plodding hours of V to watch that nose!
Hello! I’ve just returned from the year 2005 where when I read the first 23 pages of the “Lost” discussion (covering the first season) from the old board. I don’t really have anything to contribute to this discussion*, but on that old thread I can look omnisciently (albeit silently) upon the (often quite clever and insightful) observations of your past selves.

*Who you really want is Baron Bizarre.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"ISSUE #32: "Jenny to the Center of the Earth" folds the Mole Man into the mix. This story…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
""Number One" has had various origin stories and identities foisted upon her over the…"
2 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"How about an actual British comic?  Here's The Dandy. Issue #1, 4th December…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"When I started buying comic books, The Fox and the Crow was one I enjoyed. It ran from 1951 to…"
3 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"To think I once owned that JLA #1, and sold it in 1973 for 2p (approx 2 cents). Closer to home for…"
5 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 974 Super-Heroines
"There's Electra Woman and Dyna Girl from the '70s kid-vid show of the same name. G-Girl…"
6 hours ago
Eric L. Sofer replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 974 Super-Heroines
"Then let us consider... Teela (Masters of the Universe). The Enchantress (Masters of the…"
7 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 974 Super-Heroines
"Added."
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
7 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 972 Super-Heroines
"Well, in that case, how about She-Ra, from the Masters of the Universe franchise? And Xena,…"
9 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"#1 (1976) #11 (1978) in between we got Cracky, Wacky Witch, more Tom, Dick, and Harriet, Dagar, Dr.…"
9 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"The funny thing is,stuff like that is in development now..  Certain types of technology…"
10 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service