New York magazine does a thorough look at "The Undoing of Joss Whedon."

Or, as the sub-head reads: "The Buffy creator, once an icon of Hollywood feminism, is now an outcast accused of misogyny. How did he get here?"

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• He doesn't seem to get it, does he?

OTOH, the deification of Zack Snyder isn't helpful. They are not gods, people

• I couldn't believe the people I was seeing on Twitter commenting that Lia Shapiro shouldn't have written the article, thinking she was somehow on Whedon's side with the article...even though she's clearly giving him every bit of rope he needs to hang himself.

• Quite an article. I still love most of his work,but treating people working for you poorly is never justified. He doesn't seem to recognize how screwed up he is (and likely never will).

• Captain Comics said:

He doesn't seem to get it, does he?

OTOH, the deification of Zack Snyder isn't helpful. They are not gods, people

Yeah. I think part of Joss Whedon's downfall is from the Zack Snyder fanbase castigating Whedon for being an interloper who dared tamper with their guy's masterpiece. Problem is, Snyder has a different problematic history. 

• Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I couldn't believe the people I was seeing on Twitter commenting that Lia Shapiro shouldn't have written the article, thinking she was somehow on Whedon's side with the article...even though she's clearly giving him every bit of rope he needs to hang himself.

Like Whedon's claim Gal Gadot didn't understand him because English is not her first language. j7zYg9H.gif

• Richard Willis said:

Quite an article. I still love most of his work,but treating people working for you poorly is never justified. He doesn't seem to recognize how screwed up he is (and likely never will).

Whedon's assertion that he "had" to cheat on his wife because he was "powerless" to resist the beautiful women who came into his path because he would "always regret it" if he didn't, is about the most clueless thing in this article. 

But, as noted in this essay from Mel Magazine -- "Joss Whedon Was Always the Bad Guy" -- Whedon sees himself as the hero of his own story.

• I seem to recall him saying that while in charge of Buffy, for the first time attractive young women were seeking his attention and approval and he didn't know how to handle it. Basically, saying they came on to him for their careers! 

• That Whedon "had to" cheat on his wife may be the most egregious line, but there are plenty of 'em. Thinking he was one of the nicer showrunners, for example. The Gal Gadot gaslighting. Hinting at a conspiracy. Calling Fisher a bad actor.

Lila Shapiro really did just give him enough room to reveal himself as the villain of the piece. Then the Tim Grierson article clarified it succinctly.

• Philip Portelli said:

I seem to recall him saying that while in charge of Buffy, for the first time attractive young women were seeking his attention and approval and he didn't know how to handle it. Basically, saying they came on to him for their careers! 

Either that or they noticed him because of his fame. They weren't all actresses.

This reply was deleted.