Recently, I finally read "Kraven's Last Hunt". I'm not sure why I didn't read it when it came out, as I was definitely reading comics in general and Spidey. My guess it was me bucking a crossover that spanned three titles, and I was never a Kraven fan to begin with.

What I Knew about the story before I read it: Kraven buried Spider-man and Kraven kills himself, so the rest of it was fresh to me.

One of the things I liked the best about the story is how DeMatteis and Zeck set the mood for the story with the weather. It is raining and/or night time almost the entirety of it. So you know this a darker tale than your usual fare. Which was also shown by the lack of jokes from Spider-man, there were what 2 the entire story? One he got mad at himself for making during such a serious time.

This also the best I have seen Kraven written. He does have an air of nobility to him, and a bit of honor. Maybe it is just me projecting on to the story, but to me there in an inference that all of the herbs and potions Kraven has been taking to heighten his abilities has driven him insane. Again, that just may be me. I also has no clue that he actually took over the role of Spider-man after defeating Peter, and burying him alive. Which is another thing surprised me at how easily he defeated Peter, and shot him. I don't know why I was shocked he only drugged him, instead actually blowing him away. How else would ol' Webhead dig himself out? The inclusion of Vermin seemed a little weak, but I guess DeMatteies worked with what he could in giving a villain that Peter had barely beaten (with Captain America's help) that Kraven dispatched rather easily. Another way to prove himself superior to Peter.

One thing that did bother me was outside of Mary Jane no one seemed to notice that Peter Parker was missing for 2 weeks. Robbie Robertson didn't even say anything when MJ showed up at his apartmen kind of freaked out. This is Peter who was always looking for more money. Which brings me to another problem. How does he afford such a big apartment in NYC?

Overall a good read, not quite as good as it was built up to be, still really solid. I got the hardback from the Marvel Premiere Classic series. Which was nice as the intro was by J.M. DeMatteis and he went into about how long this story had been rattling around his brain and then he finally got to do it. It was initially going to be a Wonder Man story (imagine that), he took it it DC...twice before Marvel finally let him do it as a Spider-man adventure.

In the back there was a number of just penciled art from Mike Zeck. Which was utterly fantastic. All of the covers, plus quite a few of the interior pages. I've looked through those several times already.

Also it should be noted that Kraven did eventually comeback but it would be over 20 years later which is eons in comic bookdom.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I believe Kraven coming back was either his daughter or some supposed voodoo re-animation.

But I don't believe it.  Kraven is dead and gone.

I didn't enjoy this story when it came out. I didn't understand it, and I don't think it was ground breaking except that it crossed between three titles for two months.

And it was immediately adjacent to the death of Capt. Jean Wolfe.   Which a lot of people praised and i'm not sure why.

• A re-reading of Kraven's Last Hunt may be in order. I remember liking the story when I originally read it and was surprised at the ending.

All the more reason why Kraven and The Chameleon need to make an appearance in a Spider-Man movie already!

• This is one of the basket full of books that are famous for being definitive stories of comcidom which I have never read. I need to put this on my next month's Instock Trades order. It's been on my back burner for quite awhile. Especially after reading about it in Back Issue Magazine. I'm a big fan of JM DeMatties, so I'm ready to dig into this one.

• I read that story "live," as it were, and really enjoyed it. The whole theme of Kraven wanting to prove he's better than Spider-man was well played, as I've always thought he's someone Spider-man really shouldn't have much difficulty with (but then, I always think anyone who goes up against Spider-man who doesn't have super powers or high-tech gear should get clobbered pretty easily).
  • At least Kraven didn't have his way with Gwen Stacy, did he?!

• Not that we know of. Maybe that's just a story we never knew about--and is just waiting to be told!

Kirk G said:

At least Kraven didn't have his way with Gwen Stacy, did he?!

• I read Kraven's Last Hunt for the first time nearly 10 years ago! It was around the time the Daredevil movie was coming out and I was actually looking for a Daredevil story. I couldn't make up my mind, so I ditched my Daredevil plan and bought Kraven's Last Hunt instead.

I really liked the story and have read it several times since. I liked the serious tone of the book which is at times a change of pace for a Spider-man book. Though Spidey has had his share of serious stories. The plot and look of the book was very atmospheric. I was surprised by the inclusion of Vermin but I thought it worked.

• I always thought that Kraven would have been a much better Daredevil enemy than Spider-Man. The fumes & herbs and whatever to confuse his sense of smell and the drums to distort the radar sense. Altough I seem to recall around about the same time as Kraven's Last Hunt that DD was fighting a character who was basically a Kraven knockoff. I think it was Micah something.
  • NNNNNNNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........................!

Wandering Sensei said:

Not that we know of. Maybe that's just a story we never knew about--and is just waiting to be told!

Kirk G said:

At least Kraven didn't have his way with Gwen Stacy, did he?!

• I actually kind of liked they way Marvel brought Kraven back, especially his reaction to it. Because he was pissed that they brought him back to life. Maybe because I read his death way later that it didn't bother me so much.

This reply was deleted.