Of the various members of the Legion of Superheroes who were not Kryptonian or Daxamite, what were their various strength levels? For instance, was Night Girl in complete darkness as strong as Supergirl, or more like Wonder Woman?  I'm specifically interested in the following characters:

Night Girl

Ultra Boy

Timber Wolf

Wildfire

Colossal Boy

Speaking of Colossal Boy, was there an upper limit to how big he could grow? Was that ever established?

EDIT: I know there's little factual information about this(unless it's from the Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe ), so I suppose I'm looking for opinions.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Going on memory here, plus I've had a few drinks...

I believe Ultra Boy's strength rivaled that of Superboy's and Mon-El's, but he was obviously vulnerable to attacks.

Initially Wildfire was also as strong as them, but his power level was reduced greatly. Somewhere along the line it was said that every time he got a new containment suit it altered his powers slightly. As no two were the same. That was in the mid-80s that I read that.

Woof, Timber Wolf's strength seemed to fluctuate quite a bit. Never quite getting up to a Kryptonian. I would put him probably below Colossal Boy's. Whatever that might have been.

• Not counting the Super-Cousins and Mon-El, strength-wise I would rank like this for the Silver Age:

1. ULTRA BOY---He's part of the Big Three for a reason. Despite his limits, he's the closest to their strength.
    2. COLOSSAL BOY---at 100' to 200' tall.
    3. NIGHT GIRL---maybe 50 ton range
    4. COLOSSAL BOY---"fighting height" between 20'-30'.
    5. TIMBER WOLF---originally around "Spider-Man" level.

• Hmm...I consider Ultra Boy to have Kryptonian strength levels, but since he can only use one power at a time, he lacks the invulnerability to utilize them to their fullest.

Colossal Boy at 100-200 feet?  That's seriously huge.  However, of the characters named, I'd think he'd be the weakest.

It's really hard to say about Night Girl, although I know she suffers from some of the same issues as Ultra Boy regarding the lack of invulnerability.

I did include the Bronze Age and I recall Timber Wolf being able to lasso a Legion Cruiser and keep it steady while it landed. I'd say that's considerably stronger than Spider-Man, more in Thor range.

• I don't think DC was too worried about Ultra Boy being limited by not being able to use invulnerability and super-strength at the same time. Technically, he couldn't use super-strength at all, because his back or legs would break, but he did, so we have to assume some sort of Ultra-bonus that allowed him to be as strong as Superboy and Mon-El (which I assumed him to be, and don't recall any occasions where my opinion was refuted). Think of it as the "aura" that allowed Flash to use super-speed without invulnerability -- because he'd burn up by friction or suffocate without it.

• I remember that there were some RPG supplements that gave a lot of exclusive LSH info back in the day.  By Mayfair IIRC.  I don't have access to their RPG stats, but I bet they have been recorded at some point.

• The Bronze Age rankings are:

1. ULTRA BOY---it will always be Ultra Boy.
    2. TIMBER WOLF---his strength level went up in the 70s.
    3. BLOK---not sure if he's as strong as the Thing but he's a powerhouse!
    4. COLOSSAL BOY---depends on his size but he did get knocked down a lot!
    5. WILDFIRE---has gone toe-to-toe with Superboy but then he doesn't have a body to worry about!
  • I always had a problem with the stats in that DC RPG. The numbers differed exponentially. So, say they had Batman with an 8 intelligence and Robin with a 6. Then Batman was 4 times smarter than Robin. That system just didn't work for me in that respect.

Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas said:

I remember that there were some RPG supplements that gave a lot of exclusive LSH info back in the day.  By Mayfair IIRC.  I don't have access to their RPG stats, but I bet they have been recorded at some point.

• I'm pretty sure that Night Girl was considered to be close to Supergirl in strength, as long as nobody turned on the lights, so with Mon-El & the Kryptonians off the table, I'd place her below Ultra-Boy, but ahead of everyone else.  Timber Wolf seemed to start out around Spider-Man level, but eventually he seemed to be closing in on Ultra-Boy, so I'd put him just below or maybe equal to Nightgirl, depending on which story we're talking about.  On the other hand, I'd consider Ferro-Lad stronger than early Timber Wolf, but not as strong as later Wolf, so he'd be in there somewhere.  Blok is probably not as strong as Ferro-Lad, altho his quickly forgotten super-power of increasing his own density was only described in terms of his invulnerability/damage resistance might enhance his strength as well, I just don't recall "enhanced" Blok ever doing anything but standing there, letting his foes tire themselves out.  I don't know if a limit for Colossal Boy's height was ever established, but I don't think he could ever get strong enough to reach the upper levels of LSH strength without becoming so huge that he was a bigger threat to everything around him than most of what the Legion fought.

• Hmm. Ferro Lad was pretty strong, but I never really considered strength to be his asset--albeit he must have been pretty formidable to take out Superboy just before his death.

• Can't believe we forgot abut Ferro Lad!

He's definitely between Ultra Boy and Timber Wolf, especially since he does have high durability in his iron form.

This reply was deleted.