This has been a bad week for comedic character actors. First, we lose Jerry Stiller (Seinfeld, King of Queens) on Monday, and now Fred Willard (Modern Family, This Is Spinal Tap, Fernwood 2 Night) on Friday. Not to mention Little Richard last Saturday.

From Rolling Stone"Little Richard, Founding Father of Rock Who Broke Musical Barriers, Dead at 87"

From CNN: "Actor and Comedian Jerry Stiller Has Died of Natural Causes, Ben Stiller Says"

From Rolling Stone"Fred Willard, ‘Best in Show’ and ‘A Mighty Wind’ Actor, Dead at 86"

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I heard Fred Willard had died, and all I could think is: Wha' happen?

I'm gonna miss that guy. He never failed to make me laugh. Stiller, too. I hadn't realized it until this week, but he and his wife Ann Meara did the Blue Nun commercials from the 70s. 

Rest in peace, fellas.

And you, too, Little Richard. Here's my favorite of his songs:

• The first I heard about Fred Willard. 86 years old? Who da thunk it.

• My favorite Little Richard tune. It comes from the charity album The Songs of "West Side Story". Once I heard it, I never forgot it.

• That was AMAZING. My respect for Little Richard grows and grows. Thanks so much for sharing that!
  • WHAT HE SAID!

• And another:  RIP Ken "Eddie Haskell" Osmond.

• West Side Story is probably my wife's second favorite musical behind the Sound of Music. I e-mailed the link for the Little Richard cover for her to cast last night. As soon as it began, her hand shot up to her mouth and it stayed there for the entirety of the video. She didn't know quite what to make of it. It's definitely my favorite version of that song. I'll never be able to hear it again without thinking of this version (nor would I want to).

• I've got that album, it's a good listen.

ClarkKent_DC said:

My favorite Little Richard tune. It comes from the charity album The Songs of "West Side Story". Once I heard it, I never forgot it.

• I've got that album, too, as well as the movie soundtrack and the Broadway soundtrack.* Most of it is pretty good alternate takes on the tunes. I particularly like Brian Stetzer's version of "Jet Song", and Steve Vai and Chick Corea's version of "The Rumble"

However, "Gee, Officer Krupke" by Salt N Pepa, Def Jeff, Lisa "Left Eye" Lopez, the Jerky Boys and Paul Rodriguez is a mess.

And "America" by Patti LaBelle, Natalie Cole and Sheila E is worse. Not just because they indulge in screaming instead of singing; they also make the mistake of singing it like it's a patriotic song, when it is just as much an indictment of racism and nativism.

*(What can I say? West Side Story is a favorite.)

The Baron said:

I've got that album, it's a good listen.

ClarkKent_DC said:

My favorite Little Richard tune. It comes from the charity album The Songs of "West Side Story". Once I heard it, I never forgot it.

• "I particularly like Brian Stetzer's version of 'Jet Song'..."

That sounds awesome! Is there a more appropriate artist to cover this song?

If today were not the first new comic book day in 10 weeks I would go to my LRS (Local Record Shop) instead of my LCS to see if they have it in stock.

This reply was deleted.