2020 ended (DEC) with a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn. 2021 began (FEB 11) with a conjunction of Jupiter and Venus. Even in these days of social distancing, star gazing is distant enough. Here's a preview of some of the top astronomical events of 2021.

MARCH 9-10: Quadruple conjunction

MARCH 28: First of four supermoons

APRIL 18-25: Lyrid meteor shower

APRIL 27: Second of four supermoons 

MAY 26: Third of four supermoons; also...

MAY 26: Total lunar eclipse

JUNE 10: Annular solar eclipse

JUNE 24: Fourth of four supermoons

JULY 12: Conjunction of Venus and Mars

AUGUST 11-12: Perseid meteor shower

NOVEMBER 19: Partial lunar eclipse

DECEMBER 4: Total solar eclipse

DECEMBER 13-14: Geminid meteor shower

More details to follow as these dates approach.

Views: 343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Thanks for the reminder, Jeff!"

Knowing that not everyone here checks in every day, I try to bump this up a few days in advance of each occurrence.

I haven't had much luck spotting meteors these past two nights, yet this morning there was a story on the radio (which I thought was odd because I thought the peak was Aug. 11-12). Here's and article which says the best time is in the morning, including the 13th. 

Here's the radio story I heard. 

NOVEMBER 19: PARTIAL LUNAR ECLIPSE

On November 19, a nearly total lunar eclipse will be visible; the moon will still be bathed in red, coated in sunlight filtered through Earth's atmosphere. But the Earth's shadow won't fully swallow the bottom left rim of the moon, meaning totality won't occur. The eclipse will be at its maximum around 4AM. (I know that's not ideal, but I didn't schedule it.) 

Could you send a message to whomever does the scheduling? This is most inconvenient!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

NOVEMBER 19: PARTIAL LUNAR ECLIPSE

its maximum around 4AM. (I know that's not ideal, but I didn't schedule it.) 

I usually wake up around 4A, anyway, so last night, before we went to bed, I asked Tracy if she wanted me to wake her if I got up. At 10:30P she agreed, but at 3:30A she wasn't too keen. She got up, though, and we both watched it until four. We don't have a proper camera, but she took a few snaps with her phone. I think peak coverage was around 3:30 or 3:45 rather than 4A.

I bet she wasn't.  It's hard to be enthusiastic about anything at 3:30 a.m.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I asked Tracy if she wanted me to wake her if I got up. At 10:30P she agreed, but at 3:30A she wasn't too keen. 

I was up by I still missed it. As per usual, I completely forgot about it.

I have a friend who is retired who lives in New Mexico, and I was hoping he had taken some pictures and posted them to his FB page, but I didn't see anything. He might be on the move.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service