2020 ended (DEC) with a conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn. 2021 began (FEB 11) with a conjunction of Jupiter and Venus. Even in these days of social distancing, star gazing is distant enough. Here's a preview of some of the top astronomical events of 2021.

MARCH 9-10: Quadruple conjunction

MARCH 28: First of four supermoons

APRIL 18-25: Lyrid meteor shower

APRIL 27: Second of four supermoons 

MAY 26: Third of four supermoons; also...

MAY 26: Total lunar eclipse

JUNE 10: Annular solar eclipse

JUNE 24: Fourth of four supermoons

JULY 12: Conjunction of Venus and Mars

AUGUST 11-12: Perseid meteor shower

NOVEMBER 19: Partial lunar eclipse

DECEMBER 4: Total solar eclipse

DECEMBER 13-14: Geminid meteor shower

More details to follow as these dates approach.

Views: 496

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh.... wait... look to the skies...

The planets are really clear in the sky this morning, Mercury and Venus are hardest to see (because of the light pollution from my neighbor's light); Mars is a bit "out of true"; Jupiter and Saturn are the brightest; but, yes, they are in a nice (almost) straight line. Neat!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

PLANETARY ALLIGNMENT - JUNE 2022:

"Throughout June, sky-watchers can see Earth's five closest planetary neighbors in a row with their naked eyes. About half an hour before sunrise, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are aligned in their natural order from the sun stretching in a diagonal starting low in the east... June 24 is the best date to see the five planets. Mercury will be easier to spot as it moves away from the sun and will be up an hour before the sun rises. As a bonus, Earth's cresent moon will position itself between Venus and Mars and act as a stand-in for Earth." 

I do NOT wake up at 4 a.m., having been a night worker for most of my career -- I usually log off about midnight. So I never see Mercury anywhere but Wonder Woman comics and cartoons.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Added"
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The Circus of Crime's Silver Age debut was in a 10-page story in Incredible Hulk #3(SEP62),…"
2 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Battle Axis (Invaders) Intelligencia (Marvel)"
2 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Fixed"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Guardians of the Galaxy"
3 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Sorry, it's United Underworld, not Underground!  (Research, research, research!)"
5 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"From the first JLA Detroit story, there's the Cadre:"
5 hours ago
"Added: Alliance of EvilAnti-Fly League (The Fly) Anti-Justice LeagueBand of the BlandCrime…"
5 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"It's going to be a gorgeous weekend in my neck of the woods. Too bad there isn't a…"
5 hours ago
"The original X-Men fought Factor 3 X-Factor fought the Alliance of Evil The New Mutants fought the…"
6 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"This is a weird tie-in no matter how you look at it! "
6 hours ago
"From the Legion, there's The League of Super-Assassins The Legion of Super-Rejects The Tauros…"
6 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service