Watched the first couple of episodes of Luke Cage last night and really enjoyed it.  Some initial observations:

• Technically, this picks up where Luke's arc left off in Jessica Jones, but it feels like a sort of reset for the character who is now living a completely different life and for the show which has a much different tone, feel and atmosphere than the Jessica Jones series.
  • I'm not an expert on Blaxploitation films but I've seen enough of them to know that this series draws heavily on them for inspiration. At they same time, the creators do a nice job of modernizing and subverting the original concepts and themes of those films.
  • So far the show has had some interesting but subtle things to say about race and smartly focuses on those themes rather than flashy superheroics and special effects.
  • The cast is great. I never cared about Misty Knight before but she is already my favorite character in this series.
  • I'm not a fan of the original Luke Cage comic series and consequently, never really had much interest in the character's exploits over the years, but this show seems intent on rectifying most of things that bothered me about the comics. Really looking forward to watching the rest.  

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just watched episode 2 last night, and I agree that it's much faster moving. Lots of action, and dramatic changes. I'm really liking the Misty Knight character, as others have said.

Finished up with this the other day. Overall I thought it was really strong. There was a lot more subtext and social commentary than any of the other Marvel shows. Jessica Jones had some interesting things to say about misogyny and gender inequality but Luke Cage takes it even further with its attempts to hit on just about every possible aspect of racism and cultural identity. I think maybe the show was stretched a little thin and could have been condensed to fewer episodes but the overall quality was extremely high in my opinion.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service