I saw " Man Of Steel " at a midnight show last night/this ayem .

Briefly , I have sort of a liking for super-hero stuff that follows a litle bit more a " real ' science fiction approach - While , admittedly , basically still sticking to the structure of fights and conflict in the story .

MOS rather fulfilled that .

It explored how the Superman concept might've been set up , the whole Krypotn thing , and how it might work out down on Earth , pretty well .

Well , i thought so .

Views: 2834

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I meant it wasn't horrible in terms of the action sequences.  One of the things that struck me in the second Superman movie was the amount of damage done by a superfight, this expanded on that.  A bit too much maybe, but it was still spectacular destruction.

The childhood scenes where Clark is developing his powers and finding them overwhelming was good.

Personally I've always felt that kryptonians should not gain strength quickly when they first come, they should have to spend years on Earth before the superpowers develop.

Costner really was the worst Pa Kent I've seen to date.  Lois however was not obnoxious as she is sometimes portrayed and that helped a bit.

How about Diane Lane as Ma?

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I meant it wasn't horrible in terms of the action sequences.  One of the things that struck me in the second Superman movie was the amount of damage done by a superfight, this expanded on that.  A bit too much maybe, but it was still spectacular destruction.

The childhood scenes where Clark is developing his powers and finding them overwhelming was good.

Personally I've always felt that kryptonians should not gain strength quickly when they first come, they should have to spend years on Earth before the superpowers develop.

Costner really was the worst Pa Kent I've seen to date.  Lois however was not obnoxious as she is sometimes portrayed and that helped a bit.

...I can't quote/link now , but , I recently saw a piece (dating from the time I first started this line) which suggested that the film's creators do have in mind that the killing of Zod in the first film will lead to Superman being more firm in feeling " This must not happen again ! " and becoming more steadfast in , if not a Mort-style spelled out Code against Killing , still , doing that .

As I have said , I am not as upset by the killing of Zod as many here are , I think it's story-justified , however , I acknowledge that Superman , no matter what the first few years of " Captain Cleveland " stories had him doing , has developed a CaK over the years , and such standup-ness/forthrightness is a part of the character .

IIRC , the piece said that an earlier draft for the screenplay of MoS had Supie disposing of Zod through some " throw him back in the Phantom Zone " plot device...I think that that would've been , maybe , a bit too much of the " eternal nostalgia for the Christopher Reeve films (well , the first two , anyway) " that modern discussion of filmed Superman tends to labor under ~ As it was , the last Superman film was a complete attempted salute - I suppose you could say " fan fiction " - to the Chrises !!!!!!!!!!!

When you have time, you should find that link, as I haven't seen anything from the creators responding to criticism or saying that the end of the movie will inform future ones. It should, but they seemed to treat is as a momentary regret.

Throwing Zod into the PZ makes more sense, if only because he'd still be out there as a threat, even if he never came back. Certainly, they should be well aware that killing a key character cuts off possibilities--and usually leads to someone else deciding death isn't such a big deal it should keep them from using the character. But that would be mitigated if they actually used Zod's death as a maturing factor in future movies.

I'm reminded of this as I figure out when I can go see Captain America: The Winter Soldier...

-- MSA 

...I forget whether I mentioned this above , BTW , but I found Zod's " king of the homeless squat/camp methhead runaways " look striking !!!!!!!!!!!

I've liked Diana Lane since I first saw her in "A little romance". Myself given the tone of the movie I wondered what happened to Zod's corpse. I think that the killing of him was just the writers or the producers deciding that they needed a really shocking moment to drive home the story.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I've liked Diana Lane since I first saw her in "A little romance". Myself given the tone of the movie I wondered what happened to Zod's corpse. I think that the killing of him was just the writers or the producers deciding that they needed a really shocking moment to drive home the story.

Interesting question. Is a dead Kryptonian’s body still super? Does his corpse stay around forever, uncorrupted?

...I can't put a link up now , but when I entered on Yahoo!:

" Russ Burlingame " , " Christopher Nolan Opposed " and " Comicbook.com " the June 17 2013 piece I referenced came up .

Mr. Silver Age said:

When you have time, you should find that link, as I haven't seen anything from the creators responding to criticism or saying that the end of the movie will inform future ones. It should, but they seemed to treat is as a momentary regret.

Throwing Zod into the PZ makes more sense, if only because he'd still be out there as a threat, even if he never came back. Certainly, they should be well aware that killing a key character cuts off possibilities--and usually leads to someone else deciding death isn't such a big deal it should keep them from using the character. But that would be mitigated if they actually used Zod's death as a maturing factor in future movies.

I'm reminded of this as I figure out when I can go see Captain America: The Winter Soldier...

-- MSA 

Here's the link to the interview ED describes:

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/06/17/man-of-steel-christopher-nolan...

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Look , Superman is fighting someone of equal strength to him , a demonstrated Bad Guy and said Bad Guy is not exactly showing up at the County Jail door asking to be booked ( Ahemph !!!!!!!!! )...( Were they in Zod's ship with the ship clipping both Supes' and Zod's powers ????? )...They fight full-out .

Superman is doing what Superman rarely does , fighting someone of essentially EQUAL STRENGTH to him .

By the story's logic , there was really nothing else that can be done , this not being the Adventures Of St. Francis of Asissi or Gandhi :-) !!!!!!!!!!!

The story quite emphasizes Superman's difficulty in restraining himself , his contniuous strain in dealing with weaker Earthians .

It balances it well , I think , that at the end he lets in out for once , allowed to do it by the circumstances .

Yes - he is sad at the end , not happy to have killed . It was a rule that should not be broken - But , it had to be done .

[ Even before then I was noting how Jor-El and Lois Lane were willing to kill Zod's soldiers in their escape/self-defense . ]

After hearing so much negativity about Man of Steel, I finally rented it. I find myself in complete agreement with everything ED said. I'm going to buy the DVD.

...I rather remember a transition to the cross (crucifix ???) on Ma Kent's neck seeming to emphasize the ability to reconcile conventional religion as it exists on Earth (Christianity , obviously , and other ones too ???) with Superman's existence and mission .

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

How about Diane Lane as Ma?

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

...I paid probably too much ($12.99 ? Probably old stock , methinks .) for a General Zod action figure at that same " local CVS " where I spoke about MAD being on sale to-day ~ This will permit me to repeat my (attempted ??) witticism about Zod's " king of the meth head/runaway punkers/squat " look , though it's not so much there on the AF .

I've never really gotten onto the whole action figures era:-(.........

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service