Having just finished watching the first (double) episode of Agent Carter (aka Marvel’s Agent Carter) I thought I should start a thread to discuss the show.

Views: 677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just watched the last 5 eps on a 2 day binge with my wife. I completely love this series! Many name drops but that's all you need to tie everything together.. and showing footage from Cap: TFA in episode 1 was great!

I knew they were going to do something at the end of the last episode but was completely caught unaware to see Toby Jones reprise his role as Arnim Zola! Great series. I truly enjoyed it...and so did my wife.

Richard Willis said:

GCD for Iron Man #28 refers to him as Howard Anthony Stark. Presumably the middle name was established later.

Howard Stark received the middle name of Anthony in Avengers Annual # 9 (1979).  However, since we all know how thoroughly comics writers do their research (insert smilie icon of eyes rolling), in Iron Man # 322 (Nov., 1995), he was referred to as "Howard Walter Stark".  "Anthony" is the one that took.

The wife and I watched the final episode last night. My only complaint is that they left so many doors open for a second "season" that it didn't really feel like anything was resolved. And we still don't know how the SSR morphs into SHIELD!

But overall I thought it was an excellent show, with high production values. I love the '40s, and this scratched that itch. I even learned a few things. Like when they had a black policeman, I thought "not likely." But a few minutes online taught me that many African-Americans in the '40s did have jobs outside service industries, including policemen. It wasn't common, but if it was going to happen anywhere, it would be New York, which is where it was.

Also, I found the acting pretty good across the board. Unlike Arrow, I can't point to any one actor as being wooden or boring. And there were some real bright spots, not only the interaction between Agent Carter and her "sidekick" Jarvis, but the waitress/actress wannabe, Howard Stark and Black Widow "Dottie." (They never did call her Black Widow, but you know she was one.) The other agents didn't have much to do except play typical '40s tough guys, but they did that well enough.

No word yet on a second season, and I read somewhere that the last two episodes had the worst ratings of the series. That's disappointing, but there's not much we can do about it.

I understand that today they factor in the cable companies' DVR delayed watching and on-demand information into a show's ratings. I suspect it doesn't count as high as watching it live since the on-air commercials can be skipped.

There is a cut-off date to be included in the ratings. Viewers who don't watch within a few days may not be counted.

I wonder how they measure that. Do DVRs tell the cable companies what shows you're recording? That's a little creepy.

I just figure there's a little mic and camera in every cable box.

Captain Comics said:

I wonder how they measure that. Do DVRs tell the cable companies what shows you're recording? That's a little creepy.

Apparently so. With the latest boxes (both of mine go to sleep, but still wake up to record as needed) they can tell what you're recording, what you're watching live and what you're watching that's pre-recorded. They're computers.

Captain Comics said:

Richard Willis is right -- the new measure of ratings for any given show is the overnight (how many people watched it last night), how many watched it within three days, and how many watched it within seven days. 

So the DVRs tell the cable company not only what you're recording, but when you watch it? So they know when you're home, and when you're not. Lovely.

Well, if they care, they know somebody's home (a family member, a housesitter, a burglar) if you're DVR is playing a recording. If you're not watching they don't really know that nobody's home.

Captain Comics said:

So the DVRs tell the cable company not only what you're recording, but when you watch it? So they know when you're home, and when you're not. Lovely.

I'm sure they'll claim they don't collect any personally identifying information. That is, they might know that someone on your street recorded, say, The Good Wife from CBS at 9 p.m. on Sunday, but they'll swear up, down and sideways there's nothing in the data they have that tells them it came from your house. Honest, we swear!

I've heard it said -- and the older I get the more I believe it to be true -- that Big Brother isn't government, it's business.

Agent Carter is returning for a second season. Presumably it will air in the SHIELD time slot after their season ends, like last year.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"This came up in my Facebook memories today, something made for me by the late, great Rich Lane:"
2 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Except for the pinkish Iron Man and Thor's pink highlights, the Avengers cover doesn't…"
3 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"From Tom…"
4 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"There was one more Zatara appearance on an Action Comics cover, a full cast shot! "
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Philip Portelli said: Zatara and Zatanna!  Surprisingly none of the "Zatanna's…"
5 hours ago
"Steve W, et al: A March 1971 cover date is correct but if Charlton adhered to the general practice…"
5 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Mmmm - first alternate cover? You could be right - I'm guessing your covers come from 1971. I…"
5 hours ago
"I was originally going to ask this yesterday, but does anyone know what the first comic book with…"
5 hours ago
Captain Comics posted a video

VERSUS | Radiant Black vs. Blaze

From the pages of Radiant Black #15 comes: VERSUS. Can today’s modern day hero Radiant Black hold his own against, Blaze, one of the greatest heroes of C.O.W...
6 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Zatara and Zatanna!  Surprisingly none of the "Zatanna's Search" issues had the…"
6 hours ago
Captain Comics posted a discussion

'Batman & Superman: Battle of the Super-Sons' animated movie comes to Blu-ray/Digital on Oct. 18

BATMAN AND SUPERMAN:BATTLE OF THE SUPER SONS WARNER BROS. ANIMATION’S FIRST-EVER ALL-CG FEATURE…See More
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
""Which version of Annie?""
8 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service