Replies

• Matt Smith will be a hard act to follow. He was born to be the Doctor. He was remarkable in that he had an old face on a young body, almost as if he were displaced in time and was from another, earlier, era. Perfectly appropriate for a Timelord, then. :-)  I hope they cast someone equally eccentric and odd and not too mainstream.

Names mentioned so far are Stephen Mangan (pictured wearing a long scarf on his Twitter account), Rory Kinnear, Harry Lloyd, amongst others.

• I agree about Matt Smith. He seemed a little goofy at first, but he brought real complexity to the role. My perspective on the age of the Doctor is no doubt skewed by the fact that I've only been a regular viewer since the new series began. So all of the Doctors I've seen have been young-ish. I watched a few classic episodes during the retrospective that BBC America was running recently. But that's no substitute for actually following the series for many years.

• I know it will never happen (but it still can't stop me from dreaming of it) but I would like to see another Baker as The Doctor, specifically, SIMON Baker from The Mentalist. I know it won't happen because he has a hit US series and all but I see a lot of The Doctor in Patrick Jane.

• My bet is on Neil Patrick Harris! or else, it'll become the adventures of River Song!

• Jim Parsons from the Big Bang Theory?

• His name comes up regularly, and I'm sure it will never, ever happen, but it would be a hoot if Hugh Laurie was cast ... but only if he played the Doctor as either (1) The Stupid Prince (with Stephen Fry as his Companion) or (2) Gregory House (oh, would we long for the days of the Sixth Doctor, then).

• I think actor Rupert Grint (who played Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter movies) would make an excellent Doctor with the right scripts backing him up.

But one rumor that is rising (again) is the casting of an actRESS in the role. I have no problem with female Time Lords, but there is just too much (50+ years, to date) of the Doctor being a man to go changing genders now.

• ...Jaden Smith !!!!!!!!!!!

Brother needs to BOUNCE RIGHT BACK , get back on the horse , he does , and with his emancipating himself from his parents , anyway and the younger drinking/bar age in the UK...WHOO HOO !!!!!!!!!

The UK market rather LIKES Hollywood stars woodshedding on a UK market project after a defeat at home...

• No way would they ever cast an American or Aussie actor in the role.  The character's way too much of a British icon.

One interesting suggestion that some posters on the AV Club were tossing around was Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).

• Alexa Kingston! GO RIVER!

This reply was deleted.