I know that Andrew and Rich didn't, to put it mildly, enjoy this run. I read the first collection this past weekend and I have to say...I had a pretty great time with it. Millar did not know how to write Reed and Sue in his Civil War storyline, that's for sure, but now I wonder if the editorial need to have a break-up in Marvel's first family forced those bad characterizations because they are written very well here. Reed's first flame, Alyssa Moy, shows up married and calling herself "Mrs. Fantastic" and I cringed...afraid that discord was on the way...but it didn't happen. This time, Reed and Sue are too strong for any petty temptations or recriminations. Ben was Ben. Some readers didn't like his forwardness in asking out the teacher of a kindergarten class he was visiting, but c'mon, by this time Ben has to be comfortable enough in his skin to approach someone for a date. Johnny was a bit more "thinkin' with little Johnny" than usual...but he was pretty much the Chris Evans character from the films.

The big ideas are BIG and fun and I'm looking forward to the second collection. Oh...and I'm enjoying the new Hickman FF as well...

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doc Beechler said:

Susan Richards travels back in time from 500 years in our future, where the humans who were left are stuck on what was left of the planet, to allow these humans to move over to Nu Earth instead of the self-appointed elite.

Actually, IIRC, the original plan was to have the future humans take over Earth. It was a "happy coincidence" that Moy had just made a whole entire extra planet that was exactly like Earth for the future folk to go to.

There were so many plot holes in this story I got physically ill.

"You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

Yeah...it's funny...I don't usually notice plot holes...well, except for X-Men Origins: Wolverine...hoo-boy...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service