Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 56046

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Certainly the first American version.  I've heard that there were two different Japanese knock-offs made back in the 1930's, both of which are long lost.

Richard Willis said:

JD DeLuzio said:

I believe this was the first version since the original 1933 movie. It's not a bad version, especially since they had no CGI at the time.

For the morbidly curious, my Godzilla vs Kong review appear here and here.

Re-watched  Son of Godzilla (1967), Destroy All Monsters (1968), All Monsters Attack  (a.k.a. Godzilla's Revenge) (1969) and Godzilla vs. Hedorah (a.k.a. Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster) (1971)

Re-watching Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)  It is painfully obvious how much of this picture is re-used footage from earlier movies.

And skimped on the flying effects!

The Baron said:

Re-watching Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)  It is painfully obvious how much of this picture is re-used footage from earlier movies.

The Ghidorah prop they mad for Gigan was rigid and fake-looking and totally didn't match the footage from Monster Zero that they spliced in.

Philip Portelli said:

And skimped on the flying effects!

The Baron said:

Re-watching Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Re-watched Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Re-watching Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

Re-watched Godzilla (1984) and its American re-make Godzilla 1985, as well as Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989).

Now re-watching Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991).

Re-watched Godzilla vs. Mothra (1992), Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1993), Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla (1994) and Godzilla vs. Destroyah (1995).

From the Red Lobster restaurant chain:

Re-watched Godzilla (1998), Godzilla 2000 (1999) and Godzilla vs.Megaguirus (2000).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Captain Comics replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Planet of the Apes
"NEW OMNIBUS COLLECTS MARVEL'S CLASSIC PLANET OF THE APES COMIC SERIES PLANET OF THE APES…"
36 seconds ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas liked Randy Jackson's discussion Ketchup/Catsup - Refrigerated or not
2 minutes ago
Captain Comics posted discussions
3 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"END OF THE WORLD (1977): "A scientist discovers signals from space that appear to carry…"
12 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #70: Although Constantine now has his own solo series, his presence is still very much felt…"
43 minutes ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I posted a Star Trek cover by George Perez a few days ago.  Here's his version of…"
58 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Ketchup/Catsup - Refrigerated or not
"If I use a tomato-based condiment at all, I use steak sauce. It tastes better on hamburgers, on…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Seduction of the Innocent
""Somehow, I wonder what would happen if Frederic Wertham met Peggy Charen, of Action for…"
1 hour ago
MethodEng replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Seduction of the Innocent
"Is it accepted that the Comics Code came about because of Wertham's book. Or was there already…"
10 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
10 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Ketchup/Catsup - Refrigerated or not
"Me too."
10 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Running late, again, but anyway... There will be at least as many collections and remembrance…"
13 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service