Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 46254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Yeah, but .. did you like it?"

Oh... My... God...

That is four hours I will never get back.

"I'm just not clear if spending four hours on this is a punishment or a reward."

A punishment or a reward for what? What did you do? Nevermind. Doesn't matter. Nothing's worth this kind of punishment (...or reward?). It is definitely one of those "Thank you -- you watched it so I dodn't have to" kind of movies?

Richard Willis said:

Passengers (2016)

IMDB says "A malfunction in a sleeping pod on a spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet wakes one passenger 90 years early."

The description tells you the very beginning of the story, which is much more complex and exciting. It pretty much blew me away.

I saw that a few months ago. One character takes an action that affects another in a way I found egregiously unethical, and I couldn't enjoy anything that happened after that because there was no way to make it right. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Yeah, but .. did you like it?"

Oh... My... God...

That is four hours I will never get back.

"I'm just not clear if spending four hours on this is a punishment or a reward."

A punishment or a reward for what? What did you do? Nevermind. Doesn't matter. Nothing's worth this kind of punishment (...or reward?). It is definitely one of those "Thank you -- you watched it so I dodn't have to" kind of movies?

Jeff, you are my hero. When it comes to "I Watched It So You Didn't Have To," I accept your word as golden. 

I thank you for taking on such a noble sacrifice. 

I generally like long movies (if they're movies that I like). With Tracy out of town, I thought I'd watch it because she had even less interest in it than I did, She even showed me how to access HBO and queue it up before she left. She even wrote out instructions, bless 'er. Apparently we have a remote just for watching movies on HBO. Who knew? Not me. I had just spent the day prior reading a comic book which took me seven hours to read (Monsters by BWS, which I do recommend), so I figured I could do four hours standing on my head.

It didn't help that I hadn't seen whichever movie led directly into it (Superman vs. Batman?), because when it started out, Superman was already dead. [Whoops, SPOILER] Normally what would happen in a situation like this is I'll put on a movie (or Tracy will) and if I start to lose interest, I'll sort through a box of comics. But I packed all my comics in my vault a couple of months ago, and apart from the very most recent ones, they're virtually impossible to get to. [My "vault" is really just a walk-in closet, but the shelves are packed floor-to-ceiling with longboxes, and now the aisle is filled, too.] Because I had nothing else to distract me, I just sat and starred at the screen for four... whole... hours

Let me give you an example f how bad it was. There was one particular "big bad" who was featured throughout the film, even early on. It was almost exactly one hour in before I realized it was a Jack Kirby "Fourth World" character with whom I am very familiar... and didn't even recognize. I don't watch a lot of super-hero movies, but I had been interested in The Eternals (now delayed to, y'know, COVID). The way Kirby's New Gods characters (Darkseid included) were portrayed in this movie has completely squelched any interest I had in ever seeing The Eternals on the big screen.

Oh my gosh! I promise to come home and take you to the park for sunshine and a good run. 

While I enjoyed the WW movies, I didn't want to watch SvB or JLU. Jeff actually saw the previous movie a couple of years ago but apparently purged it from his memory. 

Four hours is excessive for any movie content. I don't care what it is. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I generally like long movies (if they're movies that I like). With Tracy out of town, I thought I'd watch it because she had even less interest in it than I did, She even showed me how to access HBO and queue it up before she left. She even wrote out instructions, bless 'er. Apparently we have a remote just for watching movies on HBO. Who knew? Not me. I had just spent the day prior reading a comic book which took me seven hours to read (Monsters by BWS, which I do recommend), so I figured I could do four hours standing on my head.

It didn't help that I hadn't seen whichever movie led directly into it (Superman vs. Batman?), because when it started out, Superman was already dead. [Whoops, SPOILER] Normally what would happen in a situation like this is I'll put on a movie (or Tracy will) and if I start to lose interest, I'll sort through a box of comics. But I packed all my comics in my vault a couple of months ago, and apart from the very most recent ones, they're virtually impossible to get to. [My "vault" is really just a walk-in closet, but the shelves are packed floor-to-ceiling with longboxes, and now the aisle is filled, too.] Because I had nothing else to distract me, I just sat and starred at the screen for four... whole... hours

Let me give you an example f how bad it was. There was one particular "big bad" who was featured throughout the film, even early on. It was almost exactly one hour in before I realized it was a Jack Kirby "Fourth World" character with whom I am very familiar... and didn't even recognize. I don't watch a lot of super-hero movies, but I had been interested in The Eternals (now delayed to, y'know, COVID). The way Kirby's New Gods characters (Darkseid included) were portrayed in this movie has completely squelched any interest I had in ever seeing The Eternals on the big screen.

I saw the release version, which wasn't terrible, but it was a Frankenstein Monster. My wife, who frequently enjoys superhero films, asked me halfway through if it was going to end soon. But Shazam? The First Wonder Woman? She loved those.

Apart from the Legion of Snyder Dark DCU fans, I've heard little to make me want to sit through four hours of the Snyder parts.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

(Superman vs. Batman?), because when it started out, Superman was already dead. [Whoops, SPOILER]

Spoiler: He doesn't stay dead.

"Jeff actually saw the previous movie a couple of years ago but apparently purged it from his memory."

Out hosts at Thanksgiving (2019) put it on the TV while their three kids were running rampant throughout the house. I don't count that as actually "seeing" the film. 

I watched Alejandro Jodorowsky's 1973 film The Holy Mountain the other night (or rather, I broke it up into two nights), and MAN, is it effed up! (Or, "a visual tour-de-force." I haven't decided which camp I land in.)

Anyway, here are five of the craziest moments & images in The Holy Mountain. 

• The Thief (a main character who looks & dresses like Jesus on the cross: long hair, beard, loincloth) plunges his hands into the face of a marzipan Jesus, eats it, and then sends the rest of the figure off into the sky with a bouquet of red and blue balloons.
  • A diorama of the invasion and conquest of Mexico, featuring lizards and frogs dressed like little villagers and conquistadors.
  • The Menorah Gun.
  • A complicated apparatus in which the Thief poops in a bowl, and then his turds are transformed into gold.
  • A giant sex robot-cube that evaluates your performance as a lover (and later creates a sex-robot-cube baby).

Bonus: In one part, the cover of Marvel's Captain Marvel #1  was refashioned to be a propaganda comic against the people of Peru!

I know quit a few people who like the Snyder Cut of Justice League, and they are all younger than me. I still haven't decided if I'll watch it.

I did watch the new Mortal Kombat movie. I kept my bar pretty low, and it wasn't bad. The special effects were good. A decent story with some good fight scenes. I like the actor who played Sub-Zero, Joe Taslim, as I recently watched him in the TV show Warrior, were I thought he was great. I think the movie was hurt, in that , I think the lead was pretty weak.

If I want to see an enormously long movie, I've got the 5-hour Until The End of the World on Blu-Ray, sitting right on my TV stand. I don't know when I'll see the Snyder Cut, but it will definitely be after the Wenders Cut, that's for sure. 

I rented the DVD of the live action Return to Oz (1985), which was based upon the second and third Oz books. It was very well done. It was a combination of animatronics, stop-motion, mat paintings and all the other techniques used before CGI.

I now see that I could have watched it on Disney+, but I'm glad that I rented the DVD because of the interview with Fairuza Balk. Dorothy was her first role and her fond recollection of the filming was very enjoyable.

Return to Oz was a good movie, in many respects better than The Wizard of Oz.

I have it on VHS.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service