Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 47944

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last night I watched Ed Brubaker's film The Angel of Death on Crackle. When it was released in 2009 I remember it only being available on a cable service I didn't subscribe to, so I forgot about it. It's not a great film, but I recommend it to fans of Brubaker's crime noir comics.

LATITUDE ZERO: This is a 1969 Toho film that I only recently discovered. It is directed by Ishiro Honda and stars Joseph Cotton, Cesar Romero and several well-known Japanese actors as well. It is like Ray Harryhausen meets Irwin Allen. This trailer gives a pretty good idea of what to expect. It does not disappoint.

F9!
With The Lad!!!
In the freakin' theater!!!
Big, Incredibly Dumb Action Movies, in the theater, WITH MY SON are BACK, y'all!!!!
(Spoiler: The laws of physics, however, are apparently gone forever. )

SWORD OF VENGEANCE: Inspired by The Mandalorian, I have decided to work my way though "Lone wolf & Cub" starting with this one. 

KID GALAHAD: Aside from the "Rocky" movies, I have seen too many boxing films. Does this one count? Elvis was, arguably, the most important rock & roll singer to come out of the '50s. But was he happy with that? Noooo. Elvis wanted to be a movie star. And with the soundtrack albums of his two previous films (Blue Hawaii and G.I. Blues) being his two biggest sellers assures that he can go on having his cake and eating it, too. 

"Haven't"?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

KID GALAHAD: Aside from the "Rocky" movies, I have seen too many boxing films. 

"Haven't," quite so.

I was also going to point out that this movie features Charles Bronson, Ed Asner, George Mitchell ("Matthew" on Dark Shadows) and a half-dozen "that guy" actors. 

I liked Kid Galahad. It's crazy to see a young Charles Bronson! I only watch an Elvis movie once a year or so, but I always enjoy them. Come to think of it, I'm about due for another. 

I just watched Green Lantern for the first time. OK, likely the only time. But it's not that bad! It's exactly a mediocre superhero movie, and not the travesty I'd been told to expect. It's honestly closer to a Marvel movie in tone than most DC movies, but Hal Jordan just is never that likeable. He's pretty clearly going for the Top Gun vibe, and I've never watched that either. I don't know what they're like in real life, but in the movies, pilots are insufferable.  

A much better movie -- the first one I saw in theaters, post-lockdown -- is Summer of Soul: Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised. Questlove discovered tons of footage from 1969's Harlem Cultural Festival, a bit of Black history that was shoved down the memory hole. But the music is fantastic, and the film puts it into vibrant historical and cultural context. Go see it! (Or watch it on Hulu, where it's streaming.)

"I bet that god from space doesn't have to take ibuprofen after a fight."

Black Widow.

I saw it at the drive-in,* which generally enhanced it, but we enjoyed the film. It's yet another MCU chapter that's overblown, has decent acting, treats the laws of physics as a list of suggestions, and entertains if you go in expecting an MCU superhero movie. They did do a few interesting things with the families (and sisters, in particular) concept, and with continuing to show how a world with superheroes functions. The production blew me away. The film features quite a bit of globe-trotting, including some sequences that could have been done closer to home quite easily, but weren't.

A good Marvel movie. Not the best Marvel movie.

*Teens camping in a reverse-parked truck? Check.
Little kid in pajamas? Check.
Marijuana smell wafting by? Check.
Bare feet out a car window? Check.

That was almost a full Drive-In BINGO before the movie even started. I suppose "Retro Dancing Hot Dog in Concessions Promo" would be the free space.

GODZILLA VS. DESTOROYAH: A worthy entry to G's "Earth-2" continuity. Godzilla appears right off the bat; Godzilla, Jr. about 50 minutes in. I took a little break from Godzilla. Unfortunately, when I returned I went to mu DVD set rather than VHS. and the set has the movies out of order. AARRGGH! By the time I realized it, I was too far in. I don't know why I would expect the set that is missing two movies to have the rest of them in proper order, but I did. Now I'm going to have to go back an watch Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla out of order. In this case, order makes a difference as Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II started the "Lifecycle of a Godzilla" trilogy. 

No Sudden Move - This takes place during mid 1950s Detroit.  Don Cheadle is a recent ex-con, and he is hired to pull off an "easy" job with a couple of other hoodlums. Everything goes shockingly wrong, and he and Benicio Del Toro have to figure out all of the angles to stay alive. I loved this movie, and since it takes place in Detroit it reminds me of an Elmore Leonard novel.

It has a great cast that includes, Brendan Fraser, Ray Liotta, Bill Duke, and a cast of "thousands" There is so much double dealing and back-biting, that I loved it.

Filmage - I remember when this  documentary was announced around 2010, and I never saw that it had been released. This goes over the career of punk bands The Descendents and ALL. Another great one, and I highly recommend this for any music fans. You will see the influence of The Descendents over a ton of pop-punk bands from the late '90s. This was right up my alley.

Uncle Tom - Another documentary, and very politically charged. This one deals with black conservatives. Very interesting, and highly recommended.

Stumbled across “Road to Perdition” on Netflix the other night, one of those movies I always intended to watch but never remembered to look for. Not only is it adapted from a graphic novel, but everyone says it’s a very good movie.

Turns out that everyone is right. The tone is perfect, the acting impeccable, the period effects overwhelmingly convincing. Tom Hanks can say more with a look than most actors can with three pages of dialogue. (Which is necessary, since nobody in this movie says one more word than they have to.) it’s one of those films you wake up thinking about the next day.

It also turns out there’s a bonus for missing a movie for 20 years, which is that almost everybody in this movie was somebody then or became somebody after. Paul Newman, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Daniel Craig, Ciaran Hinds, Stanley Tucci, Jude Law, the list goes on. I almost fell off the couch when I realized that Tom Hanks’ character’s son was played by a pre-adolescent Tyler Hoechlin (you know, the current Superman on The CW). I swear, I was recognizing guys with no speaking lines who were holding coats for the bosses.

Good movie.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service