Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49780

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually was watching this film more closely than others because I was enjoying so much. I was watching for him but with a Hitchcock film, there is always so much to see in any given scene. I was captivated during the party and suspense scenes.

As humorous as it would be to have Dr. Brulov (Spellbound) as my psychiatrist, I would want to keep Mme. Sabastian as far away as possible. 

Mme. Sabastian

And wouldn't it have been cool if Alfred Hitchcock had directed a James Bond movie?

North By Northwest comes pretty close to Hitchcock doing Bond. I believe Eon Productions considered Cary Grant as 007 based on that film.

I guess we'll never "No" how that reality turned out, because, as we know, he turned it down (although I believe what he was offered was a version of <i>Thunderball</i>).

And yeah, I believe I'm recapping an earlier discussion.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Mme. Sabastian

And wouldn't it have been cool if Alfred Hitchcock had directed a James Bond movie?

HARUM SCARUM: Elvis' 19th movie, also shrink-wrapped, but with a Half-Price Books price tag (which means I bought it after moving to Texas, not in the '90s). It is SOP with me to buy any shrink-wrapped Elvis movie on VHS I see; I just don't see them anymore. I paid $4.98 (well spent).

LOVE INTEREST: Mary Ann Mobley (Shelly Fabares' rival from Girl Happy).

SONGS: Nine (all crap), including "Harem Holiday," "Golden Coins," "Shake That Tamborine" and "Go East Young Man."

TRIVIA: Filmed on the set of Cecil B. DeMille's King of Kings

MITCHELL (MST3K): The third of three MST3Ks I have on pre-recorded VHS, but I remember exactly why I bought this one: it is the episode in which Joel escapes from the "Satellite of Love" and is subsequently replaced by Mike. I remember wishing they had chosen a "better" movie for Joel's departure, but in retrospect, the quips were pretty good. Tracy had never seen it before.

Last night we planned to watch some sort of MST3K live streaming thing, but it sucked so hard we bailed after 15 minutes. Essentially, it was a live commentary on the commentary of a particular episode by four behind-the-camera people. It made that Hallowe'en Dark Shadows live stream look good in comparison. 

The DVD extra for Mitchell says that they didn't especially try to find a "special" movie for Joel to go out on, and instead tried to treat it like "business as usual".

Jeff of Earth-J said

MITCHELL (MST3K): The third of three MST3Ks I have on pre-recorded VHS, but I remember exactly why I bought this one: it is the episode in which Joel escapes from the "Satellite of Love" and is subsequently replaced by Mike. I remember wishing they had chosen a "better" movie for Joel's departure, but in retrospect, the quips were pretty good. Tracy had never seen it before.

Last night we planned to watch some sort of MST3K live streaming thing, but it sucked so hard we bailed after 15 minutes. Essentially, it was a live commentary on the commentary of a particular episode by four behind-the-camera people. It made that Hallowe'en Dark Shadows live stream look good in comparison. 

Tracy and I always agree on which movies to watch. Most often, I suggest sveral and give her the final choice. Lately, we've been watching "series" and our conversations go something like this: "Would you like to watch Godzilla or Elvis or Hitchcock or MST3K?" We've watched all the MST3K we're going to for a while, and I think we're going to slot "B movies" in its place for as long as the mood lasts. The first four are entirely Tracy's choice.

When we watch TV, she will often consult IMDB to identify where she knows certain "that guy" actors from and what else they have been in. While watching The Rifleman the other day, she traced one actor to a particular horror film, then discovered it was part of a four-pack DVD on Amazon. First up...

THE FOUR SKULLS OF JONATHAN DRAKE: "While attending his brother's funeral, Jonathan Drake is shocked to find the head of his brother is missing. When the brother's skull shows up later in a locked cabinet, Drake realizes an ancient curse placed upon his grandfather by a tribe of South American Indians is still in effect, and that he is probably the next victim."

She sure can pick 'em, eh? This would make a good movie for MST3K, the kind I like, those that are entertaining on their own.

GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO: We also watched the dubbed version of Invasion of the Astro-Monster. the formula for this one is Godzilla + Rodan +Ghidora - Mothra. Nick Adams doesn't seem to be dubbed. Does he deliver his lines in English while everyone else speaks Japanese? 

If you like a twisty whodunnit, check out 1973's The Last of Sheila, directed by Herbert Ross, available on TCM.com through August 16. James Coburn, Raquel Welch, Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon, Ian McShane, Joan Hackett, and James Mason. It's *ridiculously* well-constructed -- written by Anthony Perkins and Stephen Sondheim! -- and a ton of fun!

Oh, and I remember watching Mitchell on MST3K, and loving it. All I really remember now, though, are a) him opening a can of beer with his toes, and b) the first line of the theme song, "My my my my Mitchell," which I've hummed to myself for over 20 years now.

As far as I can tell, yes.   I've seen footage of him doing just that. In the Japanese version of the film, his character is dubbed into Japanese by another actor.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Nick Adams doesn't seem to be dubbed. Does he deliver his lines in English while everyone else speaks Japanese? 

See about 1:17 here.

The Baron said:

As far as I can tell, yes.   I've seen footage of him doing just that. In the Japanese version of the film, his character is dubbed into Japanese by another actor.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Nick Adams doesn't seem to be dubbed. Does he deliver his lines in English while everyone else speaks Japanese? 

SUSPICION: Well-to-do wallflower Joan Fontaine (who won an Academy Award for her performance) suspects that dashing playboy Cary Grant, who swept into her life and married her (her touched her ucipital mapilary on their first date!), is a murderer--and that she may be his next victim. Suspicion is based on a book titled Before the Fact; it is a slow boil and comes to an abrupt end, but there's a lot of tension and suspense leading up to it. I had seen this movie before, but remembered practically none of it, so it was almost as if I were watching it for the first time. 

There is no MACGUFFIN. I was about to say there is no CAMEO, either, but Wikipedia says there are TWO: 1) walking a horse across the screen at the hunt meet (3:25), and 2) a long shot of him mailing a letter at the village postbox (44:53).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service