Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 56342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I watched the first part of New Adventures over the weekend, and was struck by how much Brix/Bennett looks like Ron Ely, especially in profile."

That I never noticed... but way back, it struck me that of all the various Tarzans, that I could most easily believe that Ron Ely and Jock Mahoney were playing the SAME version-- only at different ages, with Mahoney being an older, tougher version.  It's not that they look alike-- but their characters just seem the most similar.  (Ron Ely slowly evolves into a tougher character over the course of his 2 TV seasons.)

Considering it was Sy Weintraub's decision to replace Gordon Scott (but only after doing 2 very successful movies with him), I found myself wondering if he hadn't done that, if we might have wound up with Gordon Scott doing the TV series in '66-'68.

I saw Wrath of the Titans (the sequel to Sam WOrthington's hit of a few years ago) and liked it mostly. See my comments in Mr. S.A.'s forum on why it reminds me of the early Avengers stories.

Behind That Curtain (1929) 

The oldest Charlie Chan film still in existence -- that is to say, not "lost" -- is barely a Chan film at all.  Charlie shows up in the last few minutes purely to play second fiddle/assistant to the Scotland Yard detective who's been running the "investigation" -- such as it is -- for the previous 80 minutes.  I say "investigation" because the film isn't really a mystery, either.  It's mainly a melodrama about a heiress who realizes too late that she's married a cad (and a murderer) and turned away a better man.  (SPOILER: The cad dies -- at Charlie's (offscreen) hands!!! --- and the good guy gets the girl.)  One of the few Chan films to cast an Asian actor as Charlie, though.

This one's mostly notable for a (very) brief appearance by Boris Karloff as the good guy's faithful Arab servant -- so brief, the character doesn't even merit a name.  IMDb credits the role as "Beetham's Manservant."

Pre-Frankie didn't Boris play "Quebec trapper" Villians a lot? Ooh la la!!!

I saw The Raid this morning. It's a Korean film that has recently been released in the US. It's a fun, fast paced action flick. Pretty violent, so it might not be for everyone. It's intense the whole way through.

Watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 today with the girls. 

now that's a marathon H.P. session if I ever heard one.  My wfie went to see Mirror, Mirror with my daughter tonight, giving me an opportunity to have "the Talk" with my teenaged son tonight.  It went fairly well, but they walked in on it, so we dropped it.

I liked DEATHLY HOLLOWS Part 1 so much I went to see it twice (and I've been to almost no movies at all the last few years).  Part 2 I only saw once. Later read online how most fans seemed to feel that after splitting the novel in two to finally do one of the "longer" ones "right", they did Part 1 great justice... and totally screwed over Part 2. How does a thing like that happen?

In any case, I was so glad I had no idea where the story was going (or supposed to go) before seeing the films. It allowed me to enjoy them (or not) entirely on their own terms.

Wow!  I have the almost opposite reaction.  I loved Part 2.  I love the epic battle scenes and the great story arcs for supporting characters like Neville Longbottom (the true hero).  But Part 1 really dragged for me, especially this second time through.  That's mostly the fault of the book as the main characters spend a lot of time doing nothing while they figure out what to do next.  There's good stuff in Part 1- the cartoon effects for the three brothers story was very cool- but I'd take Part 2 in a heartbeat.

...Jason , IIRC , I saw the beginning of - but left , phhysically having to blow it off - The Raid , which I believe is Indonesian , at this thing called " The Secret Film Festival " in SC this moring , there may not be any promo/description up for it anymore:-( , so.........

Jason Marconnet said:

I saw The Raid this morning. It's a Korean film that has recently been released in the US. It's a fun, fast paced action flick. Pretty violent, so it might not be for everyone. It's intense the whole way through.

The Black Camel (1931)

Waitaminnit!  Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye?  There's your answer right there, Inspector Chan!

You're right, it's Indonesian.
The film is about 20 cops in the SWAT team who raid a condemned building run by a crime lord to arrest said crime lord. He rents the rooms out to various undesirable types. So when the team's cover is blown. All hell breaks loose. The fil centers on a rookies cop who is part of the raid. Lots of shoot outs at first then lots of hand to hand combat.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Jason , IIRC , I saw the beginning of - but left , phhysically having to blow it off - The Raid , which I believe is Indonesian , at this thing called " The Secret Film Festival " in SC this moring , there may not be any promo/description up for it anymore:-( , so.........

Jason Marconnet said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
""Which version of Annie?""
18 minutes ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Unfortunately, it’s the only cover with both father and son."
36 minutes ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
37 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Which version of Annie? The original 1982 movie of the Broadway show, featuring Carol Burnett? The…"
39 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J commented on Richard Willis's video
Thumbnail

Paper Girls - Teaser Trailer | Prime Video

"I may actually watch this. "
46 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #79: Rick Veitch has returned and, as you can tell by the cover, so has…"
48 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Harvey Kurtzman
"I don't think I've ever read anything by Kurtzman."
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J posted a discussion

Harvey Kurtzman

I have not said anything deliberately provocative in a while (and the last time I tried it passed…See More
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"ETERNAL WARRIOR: An omnibus edition of the original Valiant series from the '90s has been…"
3 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"'Nuff said!"
3 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Hmmm.... Maybe I should have posted my "what are you watching?" post here. Most of the…"
3 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"We're three-quarters through Licorice Pizza and will finish it this evening. It's…"
3 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service