Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen a couple, and bits of more. Burn (Queimada) (1968) is a film about the suppression of a revolt on an island in the 19th century with a left-wing political slant. In Bedtime Story (1964) he and David Niven play con-men/womanisers who enter into a bet over whether he'll be able to seduce Shirley Jones, playing a Stradivarius.(1) The film Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was a jokier remake with an altered ending. One-Eyed Jacks (1961) is western with a tone somewhat like a spaghetti western but with less on-screen violence. Brando plays an outlaw out for vengeance on his former partner, played by Karl Malden. The Young Lions (1958) is a multiple-storylines WWII movie in which he plays the German soldier that one of the threads follows. Guys and Dolls (1955) is a film of a stage musical based on Damon Runyon's works. The Wild One (1953) I've never watched, but it's the film where he plays the leader of a motorbike gang. Wally Wood drew the Mad parody. 

(1) Or is it a Rembrandt painting? It might be a Michelangelo statue.

Lat night was Rear Window, it has been about 20 years or so since I last saw it. I still really liked it. I was surprised there wasn't a bigger turnout for it, Hitchcock movies usually have a decent showing.

I'm not sure I've ever watched The Wild One, but I have seen a clip of the famous line everyone quotes:

Bartender: "So you're a rebel, huh? What are you rebelling against?"

Brando: "Whaddaya got?"

I have seen The Wild One, though not recently. This brief discussion caused me to look up the basis of the movie.

There was an event in the city of Hollister, California, in 1947. An annual motorcycle rally had occurred in the city for many years with no problems. That year, more motorcyclists than ever showed up and there were a handful of unruly activities. Some motorcyclists injured themselves, but no townspeople. This was hyped into a juicy story by newspapers. There is speculation that the increases in motorcycle club members was an outlet for WWII veterans having what we now call PTSD. That's interesting, because that was an impression I had when watching the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollister_riot

This in turn inspired the writer Frank Rooney to write a short story, "Cyclists' Raid," which appeared in Harpers Magazine in 1951. This site has the eleven-page story presented as eleven jpegs. I saved the jpegs and printed the jpegs one per page. It is well-written, but is a pot-boiler. It's about one-third of the way down the page on this site:

http://nostalgiaonwheels.blogspot.com/2010/03/cyclists-raid-by-fran...

This short story was in turn the inspiration for the movie The Wild One.

The three things have little resemblance to each other.

Yesterday I watched, Stand Up Guys which stars Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, and Alan Arkin. It was alright, but not as good as I hoped it would be. There was too much of "old men don't understand new technology" in the beginning. The last half hour or so was great.

I also watched The Last Hurrah of Chivalry. I love it for the title alone. Anyways it is a late-70s martial arts movie (don't get it if you don't like subtitles). I liked it a lot as there are a bunch of plot twists. And dare I say it? Maybe too many fight scenes? Still a good flick.

I recently saw Stand Up Guys also. I think the bit wasn't so much that they were older but that they had been in prison so long the world had passed them by.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Yesterday I watched, Stand Up Guys which stars Al Pacino, Christopher Walken, and Alan Arkin. It was alright, but not as good as I hoped it would be. There was too much of "old men don't understand new technology" in the beginning. The last half hour or so was great.

Watched 42.  Very impressed, especially with Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson.  Surprised he and Harrison Ford didn't get Oscar nominations.

Chadwick Boseman will next be seen playing music legend James Brown in Get on Up.

Just watched The Butler. It's really a crime that it was snubbed in the Golden Globes and the Oscars. It should be required viewing in all schools, it's so instructive in civil rights history while still being very entertaining (actually riveting).

Well only one of them was in prison. The other two had been out and about.

Richard Willis said:

I recently saw Stand Up Guys also. I think the bit wasn't so much that they were older but that they had been in prison so long the world had passed them by.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

I didn't go see The Butler, because the ads seemed to make it look like an ABC After-School Special. Educational, but not especially entertaining. But you say it's riveting? I can't imagine how, which makes me want to see it more!

Richard Willis said:

Just watched The Butler. It's really a crime that it was snubbed in the Golden Globes and the Oscars. It should be required viewing in all schools, it's so instructive in civil rights history while still being very entertaining (actually riveting).

Poor marketing is usually what sinks movies.

Captain Comics said:

I didn't go see The Butler, because the ads seemed to make it look like an ABC After-School Special.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service