Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 40983

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"If you didn't hear, this is the original Rated X (now NC-17) cut of the film that was trimmed down to an R."

This is the first I heard of it. What warrented the "X"? Something specific?

There are a few key differences that in the movie.

1. In the first scene with the ED-209, where it kills one of the executives. It just keeps pumping rounds into the guy.

2. When Robocop punches Boddiker(sp?) in the throat, there is a lot more blood.

3. The big one though is the "death" scene with Murphy. It is just a lot more graphic. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"If you didn't hear, this is the original Rated X (now NC-17) cut of the film that was trimmed down to an R."

This is the first I heard of it. What warrented the "X"? Something specific?

I don't think I've ever encountered an "X" for violence before.

No, I'm sure I haven;t.

In 1970, when I saw Midnight Cowboy and The Damned they were both rated X for their sexual content. Midnight Cowboy was later re-released to theaters and was reclassified to an R using new standards. The Damned, an Italian movie about Nazi Gemany concerning a corrupt industrialist family and the rise and fall of the Brown Shirts (AKA Night of the Long Knives) was later released on DVD and was reclassified to an R. Reclassification in the U.S. must be done by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). They have copyright control of all the rating letters except X. If Amazon is showing the version of Robocop originally rated X as an R, they must have asked for reclassification. Not doing so would result in a lawsuit. The rating system has changed a few times over the years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_Picture_Association_of_America...

The only X-rated movie I own is Last Tango in Paris with Marlon Brando.

It was only a year or two ago when i bought it on DVD that I relazied the dubbed verion I've had since college wasn't even complete... it was missing the ending. Yes, my copy of Last Tango was missing the last tango... and I didn't even know it.

I saw Last Tango in Paris a few years ago for the first time; I didn't get what the big deal was.

Neither did Captain Comics when he saw it.

Thanks for the callback, CK!

Maybe I didn't see the ending either. I remember the girl leaving him ... I think he was in a bathtub. Or am I conflating with Missouri Breaks? Whatever. It got a "meh" from me.

The Meh-ssouri Breaks?

No.

No, no, no.

It's not the greatest movie in the world. But if you like Westerns, OR if you like Brando, OR if you like Nicholson (and conversely, if you hate them) you should watch that movie.

It's a low-key movie. It's not a classic. But it had something to say about the genre as much as it did the plot, and it told me what I had wrong about Westerns. And it was ... odd

Granny's gettin' tired now. Smokemeat.

I saw The Missouri Breaks in the theater. (It was my first Brando movie.) I own both Last Tango in Paris and The Missouri Breaks strictly because of Brando. The Missouri Breaks is quirky. I like it. Besides, it has both Brando and Nicholson. That alone makes it of interest. Plus, Brando appears in drag. No other film can make that claim.

I just watched Pharaoh's Curse (1957). This is a killer mummy movie I didn't know existed. The action is set in 1902 Egypt and mostly takes place at a remote tomb. The film is B&W, and it doesn't overcome its B-movie limitations, but it's a watchable B-movie rather than an unwatchable one. Some of the characterisations are a bit better than they might be and there's no unfunny comic relief.

This post displaced the thread Marvel reveals variants for 'Uncanny X-Men' #1 from the homepage.

HOUSE (1977): Japanese horror/comedy recommended to us by Bob. When I got the part where Mac’s decapitated head flew out of the well and bit Fantasy on the ass, I knew I was watching great cinema. Now you have to watch The Room. (Paybacks, and all that…)

FROM HELL: We bought this movie shortly after it came out on DVD but were never motivated to watch it until now. (It was still in its original shrinkwrap.) But the first issue of the “remastered” edition of the comic book inspired me to watch it at last. Okay, Hollywood tried to graft on some sort of love story between Aberline and Mary Kelly. That’s not even remotely factual, but I guess I can live with it. The whole way through I anticipated the grisly fate which awaited Heather Graham and wondered how audiences of the day reacted because they built her into such a likeable character. Then… the end. Just before the big reveal Tracy asked, “Did you catch it?” I must admit I did not. So ingrained in my mind is the Moore Campbell version that I didn’t, at first, catch what they did there. The movie itself is… okay. It’s about on par with most other Alan Moore comics translated to the big screen (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Watchmen, etc.). The “romance” aspect is bad enough, but that ending!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service