Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 48971

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe actors avoid putting "Horny Caveman" on their resume for fear of getting typecast,

Richard Willis said:

I tried to look up the actor Horny Caveman in IMDB and came up empty.

Last Friday I saw Tom Cruise's new film, On the Edge of Tomorrow (or something like that), another sci-fi thriller with aspects of Groundhog Day thrown in.  I'm not a big fan of Cruise, but this was enjoyable enough not too mindless popcorn fare that I saw with a friend of mine who's mostly into escapist fantasy fare. 

On Sunday I saw a very different film with a meet up group that mostly prefers more down to earth indie or foreign films, this time one called Locke.  Not about the philosopher but about a construction foreman with a wife and two kids who leaves work one night to take a two hour drive to London to be with a woman he felt more sorry for than attracted to but with whom he had a one-night stand and who is now about to give birth to the child he fathered.  Tom Hardy is the only actor seen throughout the entire film, although many others are heard, in conversation with him by phone during his two hour drive to a London hospital.  Anyone who is addicted to films with lots of action and explosions, etc., will be bored to tears by this, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was essentially a pyscho drama as his decision to do what he thinks is necessary to right a wrong he did by that one-night stand utterly unravels his life and based on the information that comes out in the dialogue, while viewers may disagree with his decision, I think most will understand why he felt he had to do it, even tho' it appears completely crazy and irresponsible.  But as I mentioned in another post, I've known too many people who have done crazy things to regard this as in any way unrealistic.

Oddly enough, a couple of weeks ago I purchased a copy of Alan Moore's Tomorrow Stories from a used book store, and last Saturday I finally got around to reading it -- and therein was a story, drawn by Rick Veitch, and featuring their Spirit homage, Greyshirt, in Hit and Run, which is depicted entirely from the viewpoint of a cabdriver trying to go home and avoid trouble after his shift ends.  Naturally, he runs into all sorts of trouble.  So last weekend I read one car story and viewed another at the theater.

Just watched Sparks (2013), a film noir style superhero story. It was very well done, especially considering it had a small budget. The story comes together well, and the acting is convincing:

Sparks on IMDB

Is that based on the William Katt comic from years ago?

Richard Willis said:

Just watched Sparks (2013), a film noir style superhero story. It was very well done, especially considering it had a small budget. The story comes together well, and the acting is convincing:

Sparks on IMDB

This ashcan comic was the only thing I could turn up on GCD. The hero's costume and the other imagery are used in the movie. William Katt plays the Big Bad in the story. According to the cover of the ashcan he "presented" the comic.

http://www.comics.org/series/63002/

Chris Folino wrote and directed the movie based upon his graphic novel. According to his Wikipedia entry the GN is or was published recently and being handled by Diamond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Folino

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Chris Folino wrote and directed the movie based upon his graphic novel. According to his Wikipedia entry the GN is or was published recently and being handled by Diamond.

Amazon has four issues from 2008 showing, which apparently no one has added to GCD. The entire graphic novel is available in paperback and Kindle here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615763715/sr=1-1/qid=1403668704/r...

Okay thanks. I know I read the first 2 issues or so of the mini, but never knew the rest came out.

Richard Willis said:

Amazon has four issues from 2008 showing, which apparently no one has added to GCD. The entire graphic novel is available in paperback and Kindle here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615763715/sr=1-1/qid=1403668704/r...

I saw The Godfather Part 2 last night at the theater. It has been a long while since I have seen it, and man is that a long one. Unlike 2001 which actually included the intermission, here you just get the title card and a few seconds later the next scene is showing

I think the original way I saw the first 2 movies is the way I prefer it. It was re-edited to put all of the scenes in chronological order, and it makes it feel like more like a classic epic movie. It is about a 7 hour experience though.

...Heh , another 2001 reference here !!!!!!!!!!!

I saw THE SIGNAL , with Brenton Thwaites and Laurence Fishburne , apparently an under-achiver ~ finishing its second of two weeks in Santa Cruz , it was down to one show nightly for the second of those but the 66-ish seat auditorium was 1/4 full , anyway ~ a cult favorite in the making ?

Briefly , one (SPOILER HINT) thing about was that it is , in part , a superpowers story !!! Really !!!!!!!

...Oh , and I had not time to add this above...........My " 2001 reference " was that the film's poster , when , during the first week , the theatre had it hanging outside , attracted me.........It was a very 2001-era version of " futuristic clothing " shown on the poster , though the youthful protagonist characters are very much Generation Code'n'Program/Millenials !!!!!!!!!!!

A relevant-to-this line in the film goes something like this: (Brenton , to Laurence " You're just a relic of the first years of Big Science ! " !

Very " 70s " feel to it , especially a ~ later ~ part of the story when character actors , in the American Southwest (SUCH a place for American SF films , eh ??? And " on-the-road " stories...) , come in...:

...Perhaps Katt bought the film rights early on , at a pre-publication stage ???????????

Richard Willis said:

This ashcan comic was the only thing I could turn up on GCD. The hero's costume and the other imagery are used in the movie. William Katt plays the Big Bad in the story. According to the cover of the ashcan he "presented" the comic.

The William Katt entry in IMDB says:

"In 2008, he started his own line of comic books, Catastrophic Comics, with the launch of the critically acclaimed book Sparks co-created with Christopher Folino".

So he probably has a piece of the comic and a piece of the movie.

By the way, in case someone is picturing TV's Ralph Hinkley as the movie's Big Bad, here's the poster (he's top center) and the trailer:

Sparks Movie Trailer

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Perhaps Katt bought the film rights early on , at a pre-publication stage ???????????

Richard Willis said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service