Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 48066

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THE CAPTAINS: A film by William Shatner

William Shatner interviews Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, Scott Bakula and Chris Pine.

Passengers (2016)

IMDB says "A malfunction in a sleeping pod on a spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet wakes one passenger 90 years early."

The description tells you the very beginning of the story, which is much more complex and exciting. It pretty much blew me away.

I was in an "arty" mood last night.

THE RED BALLOON: The award-winning 1956 short French film. (You've probably seen it; think back.)

QUADROPHENIA: I watched Tommy last week, so why not?

One of these had sub-titles and didn't need them; the other could have benefitted from them.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THE RED BALLOON: The award-winning 1956 short French film. (You've probably seen it; think back.)

I saw it on the CBS Children's Film Festival way back when.

My teachers all throughout elementary school used to play a 16mm film of it. A couple of years ago I bought a DVD of The Red Balloon and White Mane, two short films by the same director, Albert Lamorisse. 

A teacher showed it to us when I was in 5th or 6th grade, when it was almost new. I think it's the only movie I was ever shown in school.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Part of me thinks that my teachers would show it whenever their lesson plans would fall sort for the day. But then another part of me realizes that they would have had to order the film days, if not weeks, in advance. I saw it several times in the '70s, but not again for 40 years. I love that experience. Another 16mm film I remmber vividly from the '70s is Paddle to the Sea (which I now see is based on a book; I did not know that). Looks as if it's available on You Tube, too. I'll have to wait until Tracy's back in town so she can cast it. 

ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE: Hard to believe this was the directors cut. I would hate to see the other version (unless it's shorter). This is the kind of thing I'm reduced to watch when Tracy's out of town because she won't let me watch any good stuff without her. 

The theatrical version, at two hours, is ex-ZACKtly half as long. I still haven't made the time to watch the director's cut. I understand it's generally thought to be better than the shortened version.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

ZACK SNYDER'S JUSTICE LEAGUE: Hard to believe this was the directors cut. I would hate to see the other version (unless it's shorter). This is the kind of thing I'm reduced to watch when Tracy's out of town because she won't let me watch any good stuff without her. 

"I understand it's generally thought to be better than the shortened version."

That was my understanding, too, but it just goes on and on and on and on

A lot of fat could have been trimmed (or else made into two movies). 

Zip-Line Into Godzilla's Mouth At This Theme Park

(6 minute video, more than just the zip-line)

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Yeah, but .. did you like it? 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I understand it's generally thought to be better than the shortened version."

That was my understanding, too, but it just goes on and on and on and on

A lot of fat could have been trimmed (or else made into two movies). 

It's my understanding* that it was supposed to be two movies, and also sets up a Deathstroke spinoff and Legion of Doom spinoff. But Warners decided it wanted only one movie ... but Zack Snyder still delivered enough footage for two movies (which I consider as definitive proof of his utter lack of judgment).

So after Snyder was fired/left the project to deal with his family issues (his daughter's suicide), Joss Whedon was brought aboard to a) Marvelize the movie and b) definitely cut it to two hours.

*"It's my understanding" because I still haven't brought myself to watch Zack Snyder's Justice League. I'm just not clear if spending four hours on this is a punishment or a reward.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service