Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 49787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Saw (on DVD) "The Whole Wide World," a 1996 movie about Conan creator Robert E. Howard (Vincent D'Onofrio) and his quasi-romantic relationship with a school teacher (played by Rene Zellwegger). A beautifully made movie, and ultimately very sad -- if you know how poor Bob and his mother ended up.

Has anyone here seen this movie? If you haven't, check it out.

www.imdb.com/title/tt0118163/

I saw Machete recently. It is a typical Robert Rodriguez over-the-top movie, so I got what I expected, and enjoyed it. Although some of those special effects are SyFy channel bad.
Just watched 127 Hours on DVD. It's good, and not nearly as gorey as it might have been (which didn't prevent Jeanine from bowing out the minute she thought we were getting to a gruesome bit). I thought James Franco did a good job, especially considering it's almost a one-man show. My only complaint is director Danny Boyle's habit of using split screen. That effect always makes me feel like I'm watching a music video.

Finally saw The Social Network last night and really, really liked it.  Holly enjoyed it, too...but stated "no college party is ever that great".  The final image will stick in my head for a long time.

Oh, and after seeing Andrew Garfield in this, I have renewed hopes for the new Spider-Man film.

I love that movie. The ending is one of the best film endings I've ever seen.
Doc Beechler said:

Finally saw The Social Network last night and really, really liked it.  Holly enjoyed it, too...but stated "no college party is ever that great".  The final image will stick in my head for a long time.

Oh, and after seeing Andrew Garfield in this, I have renewed hopes for the new Spider-Man film.

I watched Monsters the other night. It was a good albeit small sci-fi film. It was like Before Sunrise meets District 9.

The other night I saw a Japanese film called Departures. I hadn't realized it won best Foreign film in 2008 or 09 at the Oscars. It's a great film with a really good story. I'd say it's a must see.

We just watched it today on Pay Per View. Jeanine & I both liked it very much. She was dubious about the subject matter, but the personalities really carry it. You don't have to be a geek to understand it, but it probably helps!

Jason Marconnet said:

I love that movie. The ending is one of the best film endings I've ever seen.
Doc Beechler said:

While being sick yesterday, the wife watched District 9. Doing house chores (while taking care of her), I was only able to watch various parts of the film. What I saw was good, but it was hard to not see the obvious overtones. Is that one of the intended points of the film?

Then watched Astro Boy with my son. Good fun movie that actually has me interested enough to check out the original manga.

Bee Clayton said:

While being sick yesterday, the wife watched District 9. Doing house chores (while taking care of her), I was only able to watch various parts of the film. What I saw was good, but it was hard to not see the obvious overtones. Is that one of the intended points of the film?

Then watched Astro Boy with my son. Good fun movie that actually has me interested enough to check out the original manga.

...Re District 9:

As it was made by a South African , I guess what I'm told are the pretty obvious paralells/an analogy to SA's former apartheid system , you mean ? ( I have not seen it . )

Jason mentioned Monsters , which came and went rather quickly . From what I read of it , it made a fairly clear comment/again , analogy-parallel about the current arguments regarding illegal immigration from Mexico to the US ?

( I've , aginnot seen it . From what I read about it...)

I did see the Seth Rogen THE  GREEN HORNET theatrically recently , in flat and celluloid , not digital projection , though I mentioned this already in a GH-themed thread...

I have seen District 9, and I'd say there are clear overtones of apartheid. It has a really interesting twist, though, one which makes the message personal for the protagonist. The ending is quite poetic, I thought. It's a much better film than it appears on the surface, although the aliens and technology are fun to watch too.

Bee Clayton said:

Used our second free Dish Network Pay Per View on Skyline. I've heard some negative things about this movie, but I thought it was an interesting twist on the alien invasion scenario. I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but it lacks the traditional big heroic ending.

What with all the Oscar hype, I saw The King's Speech a few weeks ago. Normally, I wouldn't have been interested -- the so-called problems of aristocrats don't concern me, and I feel they have enough money to overcome them -- but this was a really engaging story. I could well appreciate, as I did with Helen Mirren's The Queen, how the weight of duty can be a rather crushing burden, indeed. Particularly here, as the King in this story became one because his brother, who was supposed to have the job, was too much of a wastrel and a scoundrel to care about it -- and with the threat of Nazi Germany on the rise, the nation needed a man of sterner stuff. And, what with his stuttering problem, he didn't feel very king-like.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service