Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 58140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My wife and I attended the same Fathom double feature in our area and I agree wholeheartedly on the viewing experience. The picture and sound quality were excellent. I have seen both movies more times than I can count but this was almost like seeing them for the first time. Hopefully we can make it to the Phantom/Creature double feature.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

A Fathom Events Karloff double-feature at a (I have two) local Regal Cinema: The Mummy and The Bride of Frankenstein.

Universal monster movies are regular October fare for me -- I grew up watching these films on Nightmare Theater with Sammy Terry on Friday nights, and I've owned all the Legacy sets for years, and upgraded most to blu-ray -- but I've never seen them on the big screen.

It was totally worth it.  The Mummy looked good -- that iconic close-up image of Ardath Bey/Karloff's face really pops when it's 20 feet high -- but Bride is a whole new experience when viewed (and heard) the way it was intended.  My appreciation for Whale's (and his production team's) vision for this movie has grown by leaps and bounds.  The climatic scene of the creation of The Bride was just stunning.

Also: Since Bride isn't one of my "go to"s, I haven't watched it in a number of years, and had forgotten how much dark humor Whale dropped in.  And how wonderfully camp Ernest Thesiger's Dr. Pretorious is.

I'd recommend this, but it was apparently a one-showing-only event.  But if you ever get the chance ...

There will be a Phantom of the Opera/ (1943) Creature from the Black Lagoon event on Oct 29.  I'm going to try for that one too.

At the bottom of this webpage you can type your email address so that you don't miss Fathom events. They have a wide variety of programs. On October 29 (only) they have another Universal Monsters event. The showings are always one- or two days only.

Fathom Events

GENERAL SPANKY (1936): In an effort to emulate the success of Shirly Temple's The Little Colonel and The Littlest Rebel, for the Little Rascals' only feature-length film Hal Roach adopted a Civil War-era setting. Let's just say this one hasn't aged well and leave it at that, shall we? (For our "Our Gang" shorts watching, we are now up to 1923 in the silent era.)

I have a suspicion that "General Spanky" is not something you want in your Google search history.

HAW! HAW! HAW!

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I have a suspicion that "General Spanky" is not something you want in your Google search history.

The Red House (1947)

I just watched this on TCM. Edward G. Robinson at his best. Not a gangster, not a saint. A horror mystery. Watch it on TCM.com to get the benefit of Eddie Muller's framing sequence. You'll be glad you did.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 916 Super-Heroines
"Good suggestion."
30 seconds ago
"Good suggestions.  I always thought of Lady Shiva as more of a villain, though."
2 minutes ago
"I feel as though Marga is borderline, but in the end, I'll add her. I'll add Mera,…"
11 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
""Because you demanded it--the last issue of the Dazzler""
12 minutes ago
"I thought about adding Selina, but I suppose I've always thought of her as a thief who's…"
16 minutes ago
"Good suggestions, LB!"
18 minutes ago
"Added: Justice (Linda Danvers) "Act of God" Supergirl "Earth-D" Supergirl…"
33 minutes ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"1970 1980"
46 minutes ago
Luke Blanchard replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 910 Super-Heroines
"Avalon, Dot and Polestar from The New Wave (Eclipse) Grendel (Christine Spar) Ms. Mystic…"
3 hours ago
"Demona (Skywald) -A sorceress character. From Psycho #7."
4 hours ago
"Vixen (Vivian Gale). This was an Australian superheroine of the 1970s, created by Gerald Carr. I…"
5 hours ago
"Marga the Panther Woman (Fox) -Marga was a woman given panther characteristics by a mad scientist.…"
5 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service